Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I wish we could've seen Rising in a game this year, but I don't believe for a second it would have changed his decision now. 

At the start of this season we all had legitimate questions about who should be our starter.  Sam showed flashes of brilliance his freshman year, but was also mistake prone to a point you'd assume he'd lose the job eventually if he couldn't fix his decision making.  Rising and Thompson both came here betting he couldn't turn the corner and that they could win the job and be QB at texas for 3-4 years.

Sam might regress next year, or get hurt, sure.  If you came here betting a guy would tank, and instead he's developed into a qb who's making way too early heisman watch lists, it's likely you bet wrong and it's time to move on.

Sam doesn't have the "leave early for the NFL" qb skill set, so it's a safe bet he's here two more years.  If Rising thinks he's ready now to be the guy for 3-4 years, it's hard to blame him for looking around.  He just bet on Sam losing, and he bet wrong. 

I don’t understand leaving early if you lose another year. Sam has 2 years, maybe. Cam lost his redshirt year, now another year, so that gives him 2 years either way. Unless he just thought there was too much competition.

I’m sure this was all mentioned earlier but I haven’t read the whole thread. 

20 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I don’t understand leaving early if you lose another year. Sam has 2 years, maybe. Cam lost his redshirt year, now another year, so that gives him 2 years either way. Unless he just thought there was too much competition.

I’m sure this was all mentioned earlier but I haven’t read the whole thread. 

What am I missing, how did he lose his redshirt year?  He didn't play this season. 

I think he sits out one year and then has three to play, but I'm not 100% certain on that. 

He might get backup snaps, but he’s not the man here barring long-term injury to Sam. 2019 is basically a wash wherever he is. 2020 he is likely behind Sam his third college year if he stays, competing for the start in his 4th. If (when) he leaves, he can set himself up as the likely guy or at least possible guy for 2020.

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

He might get backup snaps, but he’s not the man here barring long-term injury to Sam. 2019 is basically a wash wherever he is. 2020 he is likely behind Sam his third college year if he stays, competing for the start in his 4th. If (when) he leaves, he can set himself up as the likely guy or at least possible guy for 2020.

And then there is 2021, his fifth year. 

3 hours ago, Nope said:

What a fucking luxury to be stressing about the comings and goings of backup QBs. 

Agreed, but...

I think that most of us think like I do. We feel that Cam Rising is far and away our best backup QB and without him we're one speared right shoulder/collar bone away from scraping by at the QB position.

If Sam's shoulder was as healthy in the Big 12 CG as it was in the Sugar Bowl, I think that we beat OU again... and play in the Sugar Bowl. 

If we're going along well in 2019 and we're undefeated and something happens to Sam and we have to play Shane or Casey has to play QB, we're likely not going to be undefeated too much longer. Shane eked out a relief appearance and a win this year against shit opponents. It would be nice to have a backup with an arm. That's why we would like to keep hold of Cam.

Edited by Napoleon

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Agreed, but...

I think that most of us think like I do. We feel that Cam Rising is far and away our best backup QB and without him we're one speared right shoulder/collar bone away from scraping by at the QB position.

If Sam's shoulder was as healthy in the Big 12 CG as it was in the Sugar Bowl, I think that we beat OU again... and play in the Sugar Bowl. 

If we're going along well in 2019 and we're undefeated and something happens to Sam and we have to play Shane or Casey has to play QB, we're likely not going to be undefeated too much longer. Shane eked out a relief appearance and a win this year against shit opponents. It would be nice to have a backup with an arm. That's why we would like to keep hold of Cam.

It's so so hard to keep hold of starter-quality backup QBs. At least Casey should be a lot more durable than Shane, so we can keep the QB run threat and run our regular offense with him in.

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's so so hard to keep hold of starter-quality backup QBs. At least Casey should be a lot more durable than Shane, so we can keep the QB run threat and run our regular offense with him in.

Yep, this is the exact problem.  If Rising is as good as we think he is, he could easily be starting somewhere this year, and he knows it.  It's not going to be here. 

Like pretty much any team in the country not named Bama, our ceiling is lower if our starter goes down.  That's true.  If Shane sticks around, we have a backup with a good deal more experience than most teams.  If he doesn't, yeah, it gets a little more unknown, but backup qbs always are.  Right now, the talk on Rising sounds like he's at least as good as Garrett Gilbert and John Chiles were before they were they starters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yep, this is the exact problem.  If Rising is as good as we think he is, he could easily be starting somewhere this year, and he knows it.  It's not going to be here. 

Like pretty much any team in the country not named Bama, our ceiling is lower if our starter goes down.  That's true.  If Shane sticks around, we have a backup with a good deal more experience than most teams.  If he doesn't, yeah, it gets a little more unknown, but backup qbs always are.  Right now, the talk on Rising sounds like he's at least as good as Garrett Gilbert and John Chiles were before they were they starters.

C'mon... we all know that most backup QBs are better than the starter.  Problem is that Coaches play their favorite instead of the QB who will win more games.

Example:  Shane Buechele

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Fuck it. 
RS Roschon, 2 years of weight room with Yancy, get a NC ring as Senior Sam’s backup, take over as a RS Soph.  That being said Card will prolly transfer/change positions.  Need our 2021 take to be a stud to reset the cycle. 
Aggy already called dibs on winning the MNC in 2020.

Moose out front shoulda told ya
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 11:17 AM, Nope said:

I’m just reflecting, and trying to imagine another program wanting our backups 4 years ago.

True. Given today’s FBS, starter+ talented but raw RS-FR and talented FR is about as good as we can reasonably expect to keep on the roster. A bit less than ideal, but nature abhors a vacuum, and there are programs out there without viable starters over the next 2 years.

Edited by Magus Ossis

I don't remember Chiles starting a game at QB.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:17 AM, Nope said:

What a fucking luxury to be stressing about the comings and goings of backup QBs. 

Not really. We are always one play away from being right back where we were before. We need a strong QB room. Losing both Shane and Cameron is bad news.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Not really. We are always one play away from being right back where we were before. We need a strong QB room. Losing both Shane and Cameron is bad news.

Still have one of the best QB situations in the country - Heisman contender backed up by two bluechips. They're inexperienced, sure, but we've come so far.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Still have one of the best QB situations in the country - Heisman contender backed up by two bluechips. They're inexperienced, sure, but we've come so far.

This is the first year in forever that we were able to RS a freshman QB.  That's how bad things were just 2 years ago.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Good Luck! Rising didn’t like how many times we were rushing Sam and overall offensive scheme. I wish him luck. Wish more luck to Shane though...he put in the actual sweat equity here. 

Pretty sure Herman stated that he didn't like rushing Ehlinger as much as he had to this season. With hopefully a better O-line and improved depth at the RB position, maybe Sam doesn't have to run the ball as much next season thereby preserving his health.

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Pretty sure Herman stated that he didn't like rushing Ehlinger as much as he had to this season. With hopefully a better O-line and improved depth at the RB position, maybe Sam doesn't have to run the ball as much next season thereby preserving his health.

Ehlinger better get better as a passer then. Running is what makes him special.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

You don't think he improved by leaps and bounds from his first season? He actually had time to throw the ball this season. 

Sure. But his running ability is what made him special and made him a better passer.

I mean I guess it could be like VY who rarely ran unless the game was in doubt. That would be a nice luxury to have.

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Good Luck! Rising didn’t like how many times we were rushing Sam and overall offensive scheme. I wish him luck. Wish more luck to Shane though...he put in the actual sweat equity here. 

Then Rising is not very bright. I think I’d want to know that my coach runs his QB all the time literally everywhere he’s been. That’s the sort of thing you’d think might come up before committing.

Edited by formermav43