Casey Thompson in NCAA Transfer Portal Now

LTtxfan

On 12/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, LTtxfan said:

SI:  TCU's Gary Patterson Rips New NCAA Transfer Rule: 'That's Stupid'

By NIHAL KOLUR     July 16, 2018

It's safe to say TCU head coach Gary Patterson does not approve of the NCAA's new transfer rule.

Patterson spoke to the Star-Telegramon Friday about the rule changes, calling the NCAA's decision to prevent schools from blocking players from leaving, "stupid."

“Here’s what’s going to happen—players from other teams are going to start recruiting people and you can’t stop them from going wherever they’re going to go,” Patterson said. “Then it’s like what we’ve been trying to stop for a long time—it’s going to become the highest bidder. The people who are going to get hurt most by this is the non-Power Five schools."

Starting in October, athletes will no longer have to ask for permission from a coach to transfer schools. Students can now inform their current school to enter their name into a national database within two days. Once the student is in the database, coaches are free to contact them.

“Schools right now, they’ve got a list of who all grad transfers are. Now, they’ll look at film and see who all the best players are [not just grad transfers] and then somebody is going to reach out and find them."

Patterson was also critical of the decision because he believed it was indicative of modern society.

“What we’re teaching our kids to do is quit. I’m not starting. I’m not getting my playing time. Every freshman I’ve ever known wants to transfer because it’s harder than anything else he did in high school.

“As I tell people all the time, at your house you’re going to allow your 17-year-old, 18-year-old to run your household? Let them pay your bills, that’s what you do? No. You don’t do that. So why are we putting our jobs in jeopardy because of an 18-year-old? That’s stupid.”

He just sounds butt hurt.  Eff these coaches.  They can't stand to see the players getting the same treatment they get.  How many times has a coach lied to a recruits face, telling said recruit he's going to be his coach in the future, all the while negotiating with another school only to bolt before the ink is dry on the LOI??  Screw Patterson.  How does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot?  Get used to it fat boy.

And about hurting non-P5 schools... how so?  Most of these kids that are transferring are doing so because they want to start right away.  What better place to do that than a non-P5 school??  Transfer to another elite P5 program and more likely than not, you're still competing with 4 and 5 star incoming recruits.  Hell, this rule might HELP some non-P5 schools -- let's see is all I'm saying.

I'm all for the players being able to make their own situation better.  They allow these coaches and and programs to earn millions and millions of dollars.  Yeah, I get it -- they get a scholly, big whoop.  How's that degree in Exercise or Library Science working out?  Let them do what they think they need to do to get ahead and let the coaches deal with it.

Mackovic would put in a backup QB with a 2 TD lead (or if the starter didn't score at all a coupe of times), partly for experience and partly to see if he had a hot hand. This is the Right Thing.

Mack would put in the backup QB with a 40-poiint lead and less than five minutes left. No experience was gained, because he also put in the third stringers, and limited the play-calling to plays that weren't even part of that week's game plan. It was okay unless the starter got hurt. This is the Wrong Thing.

MensaTom is doing the Wrong Thing. I appreciate the fact that he rarely had much of a lead at all most of the time, but god damn it, there's no reason at all not to have given both the frosh QB's a series or two, particularly when both of them have a good bit of Sam's attributes and the backup is (provenly) somewhat fragile and will necessarily limit the play selection.

Bottom line - shoulda given both of the freshmen at least a few snaps in at least a few games. 

• Like 3

What effect do you think it would have on a Freshman to go out in burnt orange and take a few snaps with a hundred thousand people in the stands? He'd likely be nervous as hell. He might make a great play and suck up the deafening roar... or he might, more likely, screw up and come away thinking "maybe I don't need to rush the maturation process." But what a rush that was.

Seems to me that the positive reinforcement would be overwhelming. Combine it with the other benefits of Austin. The babes, the money, the lake. He'll stick around.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

• 3 weeks later...

"Texas got some good news from redshirt freshman quarterback Casey Thompson, who told coaches Wednesday night he plans to take his name out of the NCAA transfer portal, after UT coaches learned earlier in the day redshirt freshman quarterback Cameron Rising and senior-to-be Shane Buechele are planning to transfer, multiple sources told Horns247.com."

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"Texas got some good news from redshirt freshman quarterback Casey Thompson, who told coaches Wednesday night he plans to take his name out of the NCAA transfer portal, after UT coaches learned earlier in the day redshirt freshman quarterback Cameron Rising and senior-to-be Shane Buechele are planning to transfer, multiple sources told Horns247.com."

Fuckin A that’s great news.  I was afraid we were gonna have everyone leave like when aggy lost the little guy and what’s his face at the same time. 

1 hour ago, rungeflash said:

Thompson is VERY impressive and fits our style to a T.....sucks to lose Rising and Shane....but something had to give in this day and age of the transfer.  

Out of reps today..... +1 On this post

Edited by LTtxfan

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I saw he was from Oklahoma...he isn't related to you know...the Sooner QB Thompson of this fame:

71LGhi-GDuL._SY550_.jpg

And sure enough he is Charles Thompson's son. How did I not know that? That's crazy. I sure hope he is not some agent of Barry Switzer sent to ruin us.

He is a nice, polite and good kid.  I hope he stays.  If you met him you would never have posted this.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Uh. No.   Johnson need two years minimum to become a better passer. I love Roschon, but Thompson is a very important guy to this team for the foreseeable future. 

I agree, but he's not going to get a chance to start if Roschon is ready to go as a Junior? Sam is the dude for the next two years, sure he can get hurt and Thompson can save the day, but I really feel like Sammy's passing and brains have evolved to a level where he's not going to risk injury as much. Plus another year of strength training.

46 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

He is a nice, polite and good kid.  I hope he stays.

He is staying. I am sure he is lovely. But you have to admit that is a pretty crazy series of events. Who would have thought?

If you met him you would never have posted this.

Why? Is he super sensitive about Barry Switzer that a joke would get him all bent out of shape?