Tre Watson Appreciation Thread

MaybeACoordinator

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

He didn’t even start many games at Cal. I think it was 9. He was great for us this year, but it also shows how bad our situation was at RB. Ingram better get stronger or he could top out early.

Sounds like Cal's problem to me. Kid was a solid P5 back.

Tre did us right with his play and passion for the game.

I've often wondered with grad transfers, just how determined or serious will they be?  Especially if the school they came from was their "dream school" and they had multiple offers available to them.  From the way Tre played this year, you would swear he bled burnt orange from the day he was born. 

He played his heart out and proved to be an invaluable leader who loved his team mates.  May he have every success that life has to offer.  Hook 'Em TW. 🤘

• Like 1

Looked up his year end stats. I swear I don't mean this as a negative, but I honestly can't believe he only scored 6 TD's all year (3 rush, 3 rec.), averaged just 4.2 YPC, and never broke 100 yards rushing in a game. It felt like he was a much, much bigger contributor. I know sabermetric nerds hate hearing this but just because you aren't making noise in the stat sheet doesn't mean you're unimportant to the team. 

Looked up his year end stats. I swear I don't mean this as a negative, but I honestly can't believe he only scored 6 TD's all year (3 rush, 3 rec.), averaged just 4.2 YPC, and never broke 100 yards rushing in a game. It felt like he was a much, much bigger contributor. I know sabermetric nerds hate hearing this but just because you aren't making noise in the stat sheet doesn't mean you're unimportant to the team. 
I did the same thing and had the same thought. He has been busting ass all year. I was surprised that it didn't show up more in his stats.

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He was a factor in a lot of those 4th quarter, clock-burning drives.

In a post-game interview, Watson expressed gratitude toward his coaches, family and girlfriend. He even thanked Bryan Carrington, UT’s director of recruiting, for “finding me.”

“This is all a part of God’s plan,” said Watson, who was also Cal’s leading rusher in the 2015 Armed Forces Bowl. “It’s so unreal that this opportunity came (together) for me.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/sugar-bowl-notebook-graduate-transfer-end-a-short-stay-at-texas-with-a-signature-win/

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/ncaa/watch-texas-longhorn-band-pays-tribute-to-selena-in-sugar-bowl-halftime-show/273-625884010,

In the video at top of page (can't embed),  Tre shows his Cali swag. (1:10 mark)

"Ask them who was the better back today,  They should be worried about the run game."     🙂

Edited by torre

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Fuck yeah Tre!  Really wished we could have him for another year.  He was what I thought Jonathan Gray would be as far as skill set.  Congrats Tre, you will always be a longhorn.

How cool and great is it that Watson AND Anderson had this opportunity to participate in such an epic game and win against a much heralded opponent?  This game and memory will last forever.  Thank you both so much for coming to Texas, get that grad degree and I wish you and yours nothing but the best.  Hook'm baby!

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

He 'only' scored 6 tds because we have somebody else for the goal line carries and he does it very well.

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

Fuck yeah Tre!  Really wished we could have him for another year.  He was what I thought Jonathan Gray would be as far as skill set.  Congrats Tre, you will always be a longhorn.

He’ll yeah. So glad Tre and Calvin’s faith in Herman paid off and both were huge contributors to a very successful year. Only had them on the field for a year but they are Longhorns for life 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Tre did us right with his play and passion for the game.

I've often wondered with grad transfers, just how determined or serious will they be?  Especially if the school they came from was their "dream school" and they had multiple offers available to them.  From the way Tre played this year, you would swear he bled burnt orange from the day he was born. 

He played his heart out and proved to be an invaluable leader who loved his team mates.  May he have every success that life has to offer.  Hook 'Em TW. 🤘

He wasn't the biggest dog in the fight, but nobody had more heart than Tre - NOBODY. 

Herman preaches toughness and hard work.  A grad transfer is in a much better position than a HS senior maturity-wise to understand what he's getting into at Texas.  Tre came prepared to work his ass off and buy in to the program.  He made a name for himself and left his mark on the program.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

21 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
21 hours ago, Helobious said:

I did the same thing and had the same thought. He has been busting ass all year. I was surprised that it didn't show up more in his stats.

that's because his biggest value as a player was fearlessly running as hard as he could into the scrum on 3rd and 1 knowing he was going to get absolutely blasted by a defender but gaining 3 yards and NOT turning the ball over.

after the maryland game at least.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was one of my favorite players this year. Always ran hard. 

he got better as the year went on. he learned how to squeeze and burst through a hole with power. he became quite an ideal back for this system. shame he has to move on. kudos to him, seems like a hard worker and i hope he is on cloud 9 all damn spring

on the other hand Ingram regressed as the year went on - his vision and decision making has been getting worse. Needs some corching this offseason on planting and getting the most yards in front of him instead of dancing 

1 hour ago, staboner said:

he got better as the year went on. he learned how to squeeze and burst through a hole with power. he became quite an ideal back for this system. shame he has to move on. kudos to him, seems like a hard worker and i hope he is on cloud 9 all damn spring

on the other hand Ingram regressed as the year went on - his vision and decision making has been getting worse. Needs some corching this offseason on planting and getting the most yards in front of him instead of dancing 

Ingram hit the rookie wall.

Watson, on the other hand, benefited from multiple years of college S&C and putting more distance between his ACL tear and the present day.

Ingram wasn’t the same after his initial injury. The season wore on him. Glad Tre was there to handle the work. I think Tre got healthier as the year wore on though. Or maybe he got confidence back in his knee. He was possessed Tuesday.

Young man was a beast against GA. I think he had more rushing yards than all of uga.

Examples like Watson and Anderson are huge for the program going forward as you can see the instant impact and fantastic experience that is possible for future grad recruits at Texas.  Great way to upgrade for a year especially when you have promising young players on the depth chart that maybe are not quite ready for another year.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

He was one of my favorite players this year. Always ran hard. 

Yep. He put us in a lot of second and 7s or third and 5s that could have been plays for no gain in the past. He fought for every yard when we needed every yard. I love the guy. It's a different season without him. The passing doesn't work without respect for the run.

I was so sick of crashes into the line for no gain the last four years with the exception of D'onta.

Thank you, Tre Watson. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Ingram wasn’t the same after his initial injury. The season wore on him. Glad Tre was there to handle the work. I think Tre got healthier as the year wore on though. Or maybe he got confidence back in his knee. He was possessed Tuesday.

Young man was a beast against GA. I think he had more rushing yards than all of uga.

Yep.  Watson 93, Georgia 72.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, Machinator said:

He lost a fumble in the Maryland game, though it's questionable as to whether it was actually a fumble.

It certainly wasn’t obvious enough to overturn the call of “no fumble” on the field, which it did. That was corrupt. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, Gray was well on his way but didn't he blow out his Achilles twice?

Yeah, Gray was a very good teammate, but he did not live up to his hype after his injuries.  He seemed to go down at the slightest bit of contact.  I don’t think he was ever the same after his injuries.  The way Watson played this year running tough inside, being able to bounce it outside, and his ability to catch out of the backfield is what I expected Gray to be.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

40 time doesn't matter if you're LJH but matters if you're GJ 

it matters more for LB and RB than WRs.  Few run the bomb play anymore, besides, it's about fighting for the catch and separation more than raw speed at the WR position.  

I think that a Rice RB was the lucky one to get signed by the 49ers following this weekend. Undersized pass-catching back, but from the wrong school in Texas.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/5/5/18530355/49ers-sign-rb-austin-walter-after-tryout-rookie-minicamp

Hopefully Tre also signed and I just missed it. He was so huge for us this past year, especially in the Sugar Bowl. I feel like he should at least make it to a training camp, but I'm thankful he came to Texas no matter what happens in his future.