so some bitch named Patricia Cote just stole $850 from me

We (the GF and myself) bought some carpet in December of 2015 for the guest house.

We went to a local carpet store that's been in business over 50 years.  Family-owned place.  Good folks with a good reputation locally.

Carpet was  $1700.  We paid half when we ordered, and agreed to pay the balance to the installer upon completion of the job.

Crew comes out, installs the carpet, does a great job, and I give them a check for $850 made payable to ABC Carpet (alias).  I tip the crew in cash and cold Bud Light.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks.  Carpet store owner calls.  "Mr. Bang, I'm embarrassed and very sorry, but the installer has lost your check.  Can you kindly come by and pay us for the carpet"

Very apologetic...says installer is a really dependable guy (my impression of him was that he seemed pretty solid).  Anyway, I say sure, I'll come by and write a new check, but you're eating the stop payment fees from my bank.  He agrees.  I go over the next day, and write a new check for $815 and we all live happily ever after, until...

New Year's day, the GF asks "how much did we spend on dinner and drinks last night?"  Fuck if I know, I'm pretty hammered last night, but around $250 is my recollection...check the bank account and see how much I put on the card.   She looks at her phone for a minute and gasps.  The account is a LOT lighter than she expected.  After a quick investigation, we figure it out.  The missing check from 2015 just got posted to the account. 

I finally pull up the image of the check.  The date was changed from 2015 to 2018.  The payee line reads payable to ABC Carpet+P.Cote.  Of course, the carpet store is closed on 1/1.  I call them first thing Wednesday.   Patricia Cote is the estranged wife of the installer that came to my house.  They are going through a nasty divorce, and the store owner tells me "that bitch is crazy". 

Fucking Patricia Cote, who lives somewhere here in San Diego County,  found the missing check somewhere, and Patricia Cote got the bright idea to forge the check with her own name, and Patricia Cote then deposited the check into Patricia  Cote's account.  

Chase fraud department is no help.  The manager of my branch is working on reversing the charges.  The sheriff's office is looking for Patricia Cote, and intend to take her to jail when they find the cunt. 

EDIT:  I'm sure somebody will ask "what about the stop payment?".  Those stops expire after 6 months.  Renewing it never occurred to me.  I figured the check got tossed with the dude's drive-thru wrappers.

tl/dr Patricia Cote of the North San Diego area is a forger, thief, cunt. 

Edited by Gil Bang

That's a bummer.  Seems pretty straight forward fraud as far as the bank is concerned.  I will assume they will reverse the charges off, but it's still a pain to deal with.  It's pretty open and shut if the check was altered.  Would the stop even have worked since the check was altered?

If Chase is anything like BoA they will put your money that you were defrauded out of, on "hold" while they "investigate" for 5+ months to make sure you aren't the defrauder. As soon as they released my money I went to a branch, withdrew everything and opened up an account at a CU. Moved my auto loan over, as well. Fuck BoA. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

I learned something from this thread. I had no idea a stop payment expired. 

Yeah, I was in the construction lending business for many  years.  We processed a Billion Dollars a year in construction funds for various lenders.  We had dipshits that lost checks left and right, and we had 1 clerk that spent half her time dealing with stop payments and renewals.  At a previous (smaller) operation with only 1 client, we had "positive pay", which means the bank checked every single check that was presented for the correct payee(s) and amount.  If checks were lost there, we just deleted the authorization for that particular check. 

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That's a bummer.  Seems pretty straight forward fraud as far as the bank is concerned.  I will assume they will reverse the charges off, but it's still a pain to deal with.  It's pretty open and shut if the check was altered.  Would the stop even have worked since the check was altered?

Yes, the check number alone would have effectively stopped it, even if it was altered, had it been presented in the 6 month period.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

In theory the bank wouldn't accept an older check so you don't need to keep renewing. 

Yep, but when she altered that 2015 to 2018...

Oh, here's a /csb from early in my career.

I was managing the construction loan dept of an S&L in OC.   We had issued a check to some yahoo that had lost it.    Before he notified us that it was lost, we got a call from a check cashing joint saying  "did you issue check #xxxx to "Jose Gomez" in the amount of $ 5,000?   (don''t recall the exact amount or name, but it was a VERY common mexican name).

Anyway, one of my staffers checks the computer and  confirms that it's legit.  An hour or two later, Jose Gomez calls and tells a different staffer that  he's lost the check.  We do a stop payment and issue a replacement check.  The check cashing guy sues us because they accepted the check based on our confirmation that it was legit.  

Even though we established that they gave the money to the wrong Jose Gomez, they won in arbitration and we had to pay them the money. 

14 hours ago, SDG said:

When she gets caught will you post the mug shot?  

Also, checks are a terrible idea now days. I put mine through a shredder years ago and you my debit as a visa because it’s fully fraud protected.  

I’ve found that most smaller home services companies only want checks.  Or cash. They whine about credit/debit card fees.  And to be honest, I don’t want them charging me 2-3% more to cover the fee either.

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:
18 hours ago, Dbeasy said:
This whole story is nothing more than an exquisitely described humblebrag - guest house. Well la dee fucking da.

I wouldn't notice if 850 was missing from an account.

Actually, the reason I maintain a reasonably low balance ($ 7500 or so) in checking is because I'm worried about fraud. Debit cards don't carry much fraud protection, and I use mine quite a bit.  It's easy to move money from one account to another if I need to write a big check (buy a car/boat whatever)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaysOff said:
On 1/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, Dbeasy said:
This whole story is nothing more than an exquisitely described humblebrag - guest house. Well la dee fucking da.

I wouldn't notice if 850 was missing from an account.

And that’s how we do that, folks.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Banks are dumb. Had an employee cash his paychecks twice using the phone app and in person. They honored and cashed both. We had to call and inform them of the issue. Seems like they would be prepared for something like that when developing the app. Naaa

DIdn't a handful of football players from some SEC school get caught doing that last offseason? 

Talked to the cops.  They said she's got other  offenses that they are investigating, mostly having to do with wrecking her estranged husband's shit, including his truck...with a bat.  Deputy I spoke with said he's meeting with the detective already working on her later today, and will have an update.  I'm asking for a mugshot if they have one, because I want to know what she looks like if she comes here to start any shit. 

Chase says her account will be closed for fraud, and the money will be back in our account within 10 days or so.  Horseshit, IMO, but whatever. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bernard said:

If you haven't dated at least one hot crazy chick like this in your life, you haven't lived.

Bernard

This is true. I was dating a lesbian couple, well, they were each dating me behind the others back. One was a virgin. Was. It got ugly and the hot, former virgin Black chick lost her cool and trashed my Monte Carlo. The other one is my sons mama. Wooooo!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

This is true. I was dating a lesbian couple, well, they were each dating me behind the others back. One was a virgin. Was. It got ugly and the hot, former virgin Black chick lost her cool and trashed my Monte Carlo. The other one is my sons mama. Wooooo!!!!!!

Wait what now? Please elaborate

29 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wait what now? Please elaborate

Not much to add really. I got out of the Navy in '84 and moved back to my hometown. I took the first job I could find, a seasonal gig at a commercial greenhouse harvesting and packaging poinsettias for the upcoming Christmas season. I met the future baby mama there and like any decent sailor I talked my way into her pants. Then she introduced me to her Black girlfriend and on the sly I talked my way into HER virginal britches.

Now the first one had been around the block and wasn't completely unfamiliar with men but the brown sugar was a total noob to the penis. I may have led her to believe that we were an exclusive item, I don't really recall, it's been a few years now.

Anyway, they had a falling out and I had made the rookie mistake of letting the future baby mama drive my car. Chick #2 found her, found my car and proceeded to take out her unstable emotions on a defenseless '78 Burnt Orange Monte Carlo. Mostly she just jumped up and down on the hood and kicked the hell out of the doors. She didn't weigh 100 pounds but she was wiry and had some strong legs. The house where all this happened at, the people living there called the cops and charges were filed. Black chick ended up paying restitution for the damages. Other chick I knocked up. Heyy-oooo!!

• Like 3