The Last Kingdom

Goo Punch

On 3/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going to try to ask a question w/o reading any spoilers.  It's about episode 2 (Season 5).  I'll spoiler it so as not to ruin something for others.

Hide contents

What affliction does the queen of Mercia have?  Is it the plague, breast cancer, something else?

Spoiler

cancer

On 3/15/2022 at 9:41 PM, Porterhouse said:

The stories are largely fiction but Uhtred wasn’t fictional. He’s just appearing about 100 years before he’s alive. 

he's fictional.  not a real person.  there was a guy (many guys actually but you're probably talking about the earl uhtred) named uhtred of northumbria before the norman conquest but he didn't do any of this.

15 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

im on board for athelstan!

a mini Uthred - jon snow 2.0

The Last Kingdom season 5 ending explained — Does Uhtred die?

Spoiler

Historically, Athelstan was the first king of England. 

The writers try to be true to history most of the time. As such, it was telling that Uhtred told Edward that he was not the man to bring Alfred's vision of united England. I believe the movie will be about how Uhtred and Athelstan unite the lands which is England. This would be fitting to complete the arc of Alfred's vision and how Uhtred helped bring that to being.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

cancer

he's fictional.  not a real person.  there was a guy (many guys actually but you're probably talking about the earl uhtred) named uhtred of northumbria before the norman conquest but he didn't do any of this.

He’s based on Uhtred the Bold, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, or Uhtred of Northumbria - all the same person. The author of the books that spawned the series is a descendant of Uhtred. The reason I said the stories are fictionalized is because he lived 100 years or so after Alfred. Edit: and the whole “I was raised by Danes” thing is bullshit. 

Edited by Porterhouse

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He’s based on Uhtred the Bold, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, or Uhtred of Northumbria - all the same person. The author of the books that spawned the series is a descendant of Uhtred. The reason I said the stories are fictionalized is because he lived 100 years or so after Alfred. Edit: and the whole “I was raised by Danes” thing is bullshit. 

i understand.  bernard cromwell got interested in the uhtred character when he discovered his father's last name, Oughtred, was derived from the original Uhtred and that they have a distant familial tie to the Uhtred of Bebbanburg from the early 11th century.  however that Uhtred of Bebbanburg absolutely didn't do ANY of the things from this fictional series.  the real Uhtred was an Earl.  he *might* have led his father's troops against the Scots/Danes in a battle before he became Earl.  he *might* have died from being ambushed by Sveyn Forkbeard at a meeting held under truce.  but those are the only things even remotely echoing anything the Last Kingdom uhtred character did.  Cromwell basically borrowed the name from the real life person and that's it.  the story's not based on anything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, 52-80 said:

its pretty easy if you follow along

king aethelwulf had a son named aethelred who married aethelfled.  shes a hottie and the cousin of aethelwold, and the aunt of aethelstan, who makes up one of the aethelings.  shes got a kid named aelfwyn, not to be confused with a nephew named aelfweird.  shes also got an uncle named aethelred who was named after her grandpa aethelred, so maybe thats a bit confusing

Sounds to me like you know a lot of my Oklahoma/Arkansas kinfolk.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i understand.  bernard cromwell got interested in the uhtred character when he discovered his father's last name, Oughtred, was derived from the original Uhtred and that they have a distant familial tie to the Uhtred of Bebbanburg from the early 11th century.  however that Uhtred of Bebbanburg absolutely didn't do ANY of the things from this fictional series.  the real Uhtred was an Earl.  he *might* have led his father's troops against the Scots/Danes in a battle before he became Earl.  he *might* have died from being ambushed by Sveyn Forkbeard at a meeting held under truce.  but those are the only things even remotely echoing anything the Last Kingdom uhtred character did.  Cromwell basically borrowed the name from the real life person and that's it.  the story's not based on anything else.

image.gif.6b1a9580b5745c52a9a749ac559a898d.gif

On 3/15/2022 at 9:41 PM, Porterhouse said:

This season was bad. The series got worse and worse with each successive season. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Well done, but five seasons is just too long for a series like this.  And I'll admit that's on me.  Maybe it's The Wire and I've got some weird psychological wall about having trouble with great series after three seasons -- they are being reckless in trying to stretch things out.

I don't think it is just you. IMO, it is the rare drama that is successful for longer than three, especially when it is somewhat tethered to actual events/history etc. I haven't got the background in this line of work, so take my comments as a layperson viewer, but it would seem helpful if the storyboard or whatever they're doing is already mapped out with a definitive plot arc and mostly written. Perhaps that is why three can work so well. Meet and greet, followed by fight and/flight, ending with (the main characters) kills or thrills.

Back when I was undergoing treatment, regular reading was difficult due to the medication so my oldest introduced me to fanfiction. I lasted about a week before I had to give it up because too many novice writers begin without a plan for telling their story. And if you've ever met someone like that at a party, there is never enough liquor on hand to make it tolerable.

• 1 year later...

I’m a big fan of the show, even though it’s fucking weird. Weird with the timelines (Uhtred was around 100 years after events from the show), weird that Uhtred is always at odds with Wessex kings, yet they never kill each other, odd that they always portray him intolerant of Christians / Pagans one minute and the next the fucking beacon of tolerance. This movie was no different. But it was still fucking good, because Destiny Is All. 

That problem comes over from the books.  The issue is the author made him a complete badass so he has to have lots of stupid spats with the royal family to keep him from gaining so much power and influence it becomes a problem with the historical timeline.   Uhtred was also super old in the last book of the series but still fighting like he was 25.

Edited by kevwun

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It always feels like they get from place to place at whatever pace is required for the story.  But it was a fun story. 

Yes, and Finan and Sihtric are always there. I actually thought they were Ron Burgundy’s news team in the bar when Burgundy has a post-Baxter meltdown. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:04 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Halls of vallhalla?

im no king. 

I initially took it that because he didn't die right away with a sword-in-hand, he was left to only look upon Valhalla and never join.  Kind of a final Uhtred-getting-dicked-over-once-again thing.

But I might be taking it too far.

• 4 months later...

I took the ending to mean that with enough money they might do a second movie. But I have no clue and haven’t read anything about the writers, actors, or what have you since the movie wrapped up.

movie was okay. Seemed a bit squished. Seasons were short but episodes were fairly long, so this felt like an extra long episode where they couldn’t flesh out the plot holes in later episodes so just kinda threw it all in anyway. Didn’t hate it but feel like the series deserved a better ending. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

I took the ending to mean that with enough money they might do a second movie. But I have no clue and haven’t read anything about the writers, actors, or what have you since the movie wrapped up.

movie was okay. Seemed a bit squished. Seasons were short but episodes were fairly long, so this felt like an extra long episode where they couldn’t flesh out the plot holes in later episodes so just kinda threw it all in anyway. Didn’t hate it but feel like the series deserved a better ending. 

I wish they’d been able to get the same actress back for queen (? - aunt of aethewoldwhats his name) because I felt like the character chemistry with uthred was strong. 

I enjoyed it. I think it is the end. Uthred is in Valhalla with brida and their father. 

Destiny is all. 

Edited by UT_OB1

I wish they’d been able to get the same actress back for queen (? - aunt of aethewoldwhats his name) because I felt like the character chemistry with uthred was strong. 

I enjoyed it. I think it is the end. Uthred is in Valhalla with brida and their father. 

Destiny is all. 
Aethelflaed. She died in the books, it wasn't a money issue.

• 4 months later...