Rec me a last minute solo trip somewhere warm

Not a cat

I'm freezing my ass off in the upper midwest and after reviewing my work and kids' custody schedule I realized I have a window of between Friday night 1-25 to the morning of 1-31 to get out of this hellhole for a bit.

I don't really care where as long as it is warm, though a beach would be nice.  Given the time schedule Hawaii and Australia are out.  I'm an old fart so don't need or want the South Padre spring break vibe.  I just want to chill, see some nice things and be warm. Anything else is gravy.

Thoughts on some good locations and bonus points if you have a good way to just get last minute deals.  I'm completely open to waking up on the Friday and just seeing what is available so I'm surprised where I'm going.  Of course, I'd like the confidence that some place that does not suck will be an option if I go that route.

Thanks in advance. 

Anywhere in central america or Mex

I love Puerto Vallarta this time of year. Beautiful, sunny, crisp clean weather every day. 65 to 85. Clean air. Cheap. Great food. beaches. Direct flights from many places in the US I think, but I have only taken them from IAH

Most other countries in CAM will have a flight to the capital and then a bus/car to the beach, so a bit more time. Managua, San Jose, Guate, but then there is also Panama City which is nice and have great beaches. Bocas del Toro (1 hour connecting flight from Panama City) is also great for a week of chilling. Then there is also Roatan in Honduras which is one damn nice beach area. 

I would do PV myself, but maybe if you want to hang out and meet more gringos and be more social then the Pacific side of costa rica would be the other obvious thing. IAH to Liberia CR is a good flight and will chop off time on getting from the airport to the beach. 

ecuador is awesome, but it won't really be warm in the mountains where you land (Quito). its a short 1 hour flight to the beach there and I loved the beach there, but it might not be for everyone. It is very undeveloped, which I loved, but you need a car to drive around for the most part. Great surfing if you are into that at all, even barely, as the breaks are long, gentle and reliable

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How warm? San Diego is always nice if you're trying to stay in the US. 

2nd Costa Rica obviously. I enjoyed the Dominican Republic while I was there but it is more of a resort-vibe most places if you are looking for a nice beach. 

I'm in Minneapolis.  75 is positively balmy to me right now.  

Thanks guys, and keep them coming.  

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

I'm in Minneapolis.  75 is positively balmy to me right now.  

Thanks guys, and keep them coming.  

When I was in the DR in December it was in the 80s most days with a similar ocean temperature. 

Grand Cayman is another good one. Maybe a bit pricier hotel/food wise but absolutely gorgeous beaches. 

13 minutes ago, midtown said:

Depends if price is an issue. 

From MSP to:

Gran Cayman $672

Miami $394

LIberia $513

SJO $387

Belize $576

St. Thomas $372

San Juan $298

Price is an issue in that I don't want to stay at a 5 star resort and drop 1k a night, but none of the airfares above are deal killers by any stretch.  Of course, since I'll be booking at the last second I imagine the flights will be significantly more expensive than those so that's why I'm looking to snag a last minute "deal".  I guess I'm looking to drop 1500-3000 all in which should be pretty doable seeing as its only one dude with cheap tastes.  

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Of course, since I'll be booking at the last second I imagine the flights will be significantly more expensive than those so that's why I'm looking to snag a last minute "deal".

Those are all from google flights for travel from Thursday Jan 31 through the following Sunday.  Still two weeks out..However..I didn't click through but Ill bet a lot of those are like 18 hours with several connections.   The airlines have taken out so much capacity that the whole "last min flight deal" is non-existent unless its to a place no one really wants to go

Edited by midtown

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Those are all from google flights for travel from Thursday Jan 31 through the following Sunday.  Still two weeks out..However..I didn't click through but Ill bet a lot of those are like 18 hours with several connections.   The airlines have taken out so much capacity that the whole "last min flight deal" is non-existent unless its to a place no one really wants to go

I too would be inclined to lock up a rate 11 days out over waiting.

Was going to suggest the Charleston , Hilton Head Island, Savannah circuit but that area looks to be in the mid 50s over that time period. If you do it fly in one and out the other.

Fly to Miami. Drive down to Key Largo. Stay at Hampton inn. Little outdoor bar there. Man made beach there. Eat breakfast at Doc’s. Best fried eggs. 

Can do some party boat fishing for cheap. Lots of cheap easy stuff. Lots less touristy than Key West. 

Today I was looking up flights to Costa Rica for some friends flying from San Antonio. Traveling the first week of Feb. I’ve never seen fares this cheap. Depending on travel days there were good flights without the long layovers for under 400 on both United and Southwest. Even though you are MSP and traveling a week earlier there may be some really good deals. I’m usually down in Manuel Antonio/Quepos but just got to Jaco for 6 days. Hotels are as cheap or expensive as you want them all over this country. Here was my view about an hour ago.

DACE19-AA-657-A-4-BD6-BEED-C8-B7-DB9-AA8
2014 cayman s 0 60

I was just in Hawaii for only two days for work. I don't think that timeframe is too short. It is only four hours behind central time. The jet lag isn't that bad and it is one of, if not the cheapest time of year to go.

Edited by gmr548

11 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Price is an issue in that I don't want to stay at a 5 star resort and drop 1k a night, but none of the airfares above are deal killers by any stretch.  Of course, since I'll be booking at the last second I imagine the flights will be significantly more expensive than those so that's why I'm looking to snag a last minute "deal".  I guess I'm looking to drop 1500-3000 all in which should be pretty doable seeing as its only one dude with cheap tastes.  

My list would begin and end with Miami and I wouldn’t think twice about it.  Definitly fits within that $ range and checks all your other boxes.

There's really no competition for the money. Haven't been to CR but have a good friend that vacations there every year and swears he's retiring there.

I have a friend that owns a small 3 bungalow place in Placencia, Belize. It's a little slice of heaven and only $100 a night.

Bill and Adriane are the greatest hosts ever.

A lot slower pace than San Pedro. Belize1-012.jpg

Belize1-006.jpg

• Like 1

All right I probably should have gone about it this way to start to narrow down the options and not waste all of your time but from MSP those days I found the following 3 reasonable non-stops- Liberia, Punta Cana, and Montego Bay.  

I can't find shit for hotels near the beach in CR so I'm down to DR and Jamaica.  I'm leaning toward Jamaica.  Seems safe and laid back.  Any reason not to book that?  And can i just lie on the beach smoking ganja all day or is that just for locals?