RIP Milto's

Hornius Emeritus

In news that can hardly be considered surprising, the building that houses Milto's on Guadalupe Street is up for sale for 1.8 million dollars. Damn. If I had a dollar for ever meal I've ever eaten there, I'd have a lot more money than I do now. With Ruby's BBQ gone and the building that used to house Antone's vacant, I'm fairly certain that this valuable property will become another high-rise condo. Somewhere John Prine is singing, "I hate graveyards and old pawnshops ... for they always bring me tears ... I can't forgive the way they robbed me .... of my childhood souvenirs."

No word yet on when the last day of business will be. 

i-h7KxzFQ.jpg

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 5

Yeah, with Hopfields and Via 313 close by, I rarely make it there much these days.  But Milto’s, Ruby’s, and Thai Kitchen were on my very regular rotation for a few years in the late 90s and after. I read about the impending closing a couple weeks ago and stopped in for dinner one night last week. Greek salad still rocks.   One more place that I’ll miss.  

• Like 4

My high school best friend and best man in my wedding 1) has his first date with his wife there 30 yrs ago, and 2) got engaged to her there a few years later. And a few years ago, when my wife was in seminary around the corner, we’d meet there for lunch on occasion. Good memories of the place.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I slammed the lasagna many times in law school.  Not surprised at yet another restaurant or business on Guadalupe or Burnet shutting down, but still sad.

Oddly, I quit going there after undergrad. Guess I just started to forget about things on the west side of campus. 

I had the lasagna there a ton in college. One time their marquee said "Kings and Queens Eat for Free" so a lady friend and I walked to burger king, asked for paper crowns and went to milto's hoping to get free food. They gave us a free soda. Cheapskates. Anyway, I guess that leaves Dirty's and Hole in the Wall as the last relics of my time on campus from 96 - 00.

Pro tip-the land owner of that completely shut down half block is still booting cars if you walk off the property.  Had a few good meals there, clinically insane owner pushed them out.  And likes impound fees. 

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait, Ken's Donuts is gone? 

It was for a time, I guess it reopened? No longer 24h though. That's a shame.

Edited by ztejas
Or maybe it still is 24h. Apparently new ownership and not the same thing. Will probably be gone for good soon

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

You knew what you were getting when you went to Ken's. 

Also, it appears Ken's is still open. At least per Yelp and they're typically on top of that shit. 

anybody else reading this as the old counterpoint guy in Airplane!?  

"They bought their donuts, they knew what they were getting into...Frankly..."  

16 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

Csb buddies bro was a mgr there bitd, ate a lot of good, free pizza from Milto's. I'm a little surprised it's lasted this long...

Zach or Joe R?  Worked at Miltos in HS making pizzas on the weekends back in the mid 80s. Miltos himself was a crazy mfer.  Last I heard was Joe R bought it from Miltos 5-10 years ago.  Wierd to think it was there tor ~40 years. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 1/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, Anastasis said:

no crack?

I would have thought anchovy paste was in there too. Maybe its cause I would also get the anchovies on top. 

i'm going to give it a shot for Sunday dinner this weekend, and i think that's how i'll do it - whisk in some paste instead of the raw anchovies on the top.  or maybe, both

I enjoyed Milto's during my time on the 40 acres and just passed it on my way to Via 313 last week.  Should have stopped by instead of gorging myself like I was at the old nasty Gatti's buffet on MLK like a homeless person with his first meal off a plate.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

"I'm fairly certain that this valuable property will become another high-rise condo"

Where is there is a high-rise condo by there?  I see a whole slew of new high rise apts on west campus but no condos.  The only stuff for sale is the tired old condos from my time and ridiculously priced single family homes.  I am thinking an investment property that the olds use via airbnb that I can crash at sometimes.  Though they probably would want a house and tell kids to sit down as they go by on their scooters.