Check out tonight's lunar eclipse

Texas Jeff

The Earth is going to get between the Moon and the Sun tonight, starting in about an hour or so.  Skies in Austin just cleared and the Moon is about to go away for a bit.

I think it starts around 9:30 and the maximum eclipse is around 11:12 central time.

This is a "blood Moon" so it might turn red or orange during the eclipse.

Kinda cool, looking about ENE from my house, sky is finally clear.  Moon and stars look great, but coolest part is the jetstream from what had to be military aircraft zig-zagging all over up there.  Added a really cool effect. I know the rules, but no pics because my Kodak FunSaver wouldn't adjust.  

Fun facts...

- Some of the parts of the moon you usually see can drop temperatures as much as 500° in the shadow of the earth during an eclipse.
- The moon you are seeing is 1.26 seconds newer than the real moon (i.e. light takes that long to reach earth). So the moon is older than what's in our view. So plenty of room for fake landings (Apollo "moon landing," LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)+, eclipses, etc.  Personally, I think it's giant red clear wrap.

Edited by phdhorn

My younger one got a telescope for Christmas, and this was the first time we tried out the attachment which lets you take 'photos' with your cell phone.

Let's see if Google Photos will link:
JqmUgWVkyUu5Wp91wrqUc3zDYs-Nsw4NC9325dc1

It got too dark for it to focus well, and we got a little cloud cover for the best part, but I thought this came out kinda cool, with the help of Pixel Night Sight:
cy6tZRKLmNAAr3Ty6I-EY4X_JGvImbp19W9M6S-Q

At about this time, right on cue, all the coyotes started howling.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Damor said:

My younger one got a telescope for Christmas, and this was the first time we tried out the attachment which lets you take 'photos' with your cell phone.

Let's see if Google Photos will link:
JqmUgWVkyUu5Wp91wrqUc3zDYs-Nsw4NC9325dc1

It got too dark for it to focus well, and we got a little cloud cover for the best part, but I thought this came out kinda cool, with the help of Pixel Night Sight:
cy6tZRKLmNAAr3Ty6I-EY4X_JGvImbp19W9M6S-Q

At about this time, right on cue, all the coyotes started howling.

Kinda cool is an understatement.

• Like 1