Players You Thought Were Wasted Talent/Surfire Stars on the 40 Acres

d.plainview872

Easy one for me: RB Edwin Simmons

I remember my dad telling me that we may have the next Earl Campbell when we saw him play as a freshman.

I remember he had a big game against Rice, and he even had a KR for a TD against one of the small schools we played. Then I saw him tear up OU with a long TD that put the game out of reach. He was big and blazing fast. Got hurt shortly afterwards and I can't remember what all happened (I was in middle school) but he never recovered.

I remember he was naked in someones yard and he got arrested when he was a senior (I think)

Guys who I thought were special, special talents who busted for whatever reason

DE/LB Mike Williams - he had Von Miller ability as a pass rusher.  Sickest video on 2002 class outside of VY

Brian Pickryl - shoulder injuries.  He was a stud.

Marco Martin - cheap shot to knee and attendant weight gain

Robert Timmons

Erik Hardeman - could do it all as a RB and good enough receiver to line out wide

• Like 1

I honestly thought Nordgren was going to be a star.  I watched a spring game, I guess just after his redshirt year which would have been going into simms Sr year.  I thought "no way chance mock even sees the field"  I thought nordgren was going to assume the starting role after simms. 

But that was him throwing a few balls against other 3rd stringers, and before I had any idea whatsoever about what a good qb looked like.   (In contrast I remember watching Gilbert make his first start against rice I think, and even though they won, I could tell by the 3 or 4th throw  he wasn't going to work.  ) 

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I have a distinct memory of Edorian seeing the field on special teams his true freshman year.  I think he had left Texas by the time the spring practice started the following year.

I remember him erasing some ridiculous angle to make a tackle on special teams (maybe the OU game his freshman year?).  He should have been a stud.  

42 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I honestly thought Nordgren was going to be a star.  I watched a spring game, I guess just after his redshirt year which would have been going into simms Sr year.  I thought "no way chance mock even sees the field"  I thought nordgren was going to assume the starting role after simms. 

But that was him throwing a few balls against other 3rd stringers, and before I had any idea whatsoever about what a good qb looked like.   (In contrast I remember watching Gilbert make his first start against rice I think, and even though they won, I could tell by the 3 or 4th throw  he wasn't going to work.  ) 

That's Taylor Hamm-level analysis right there!

It's been decades since a Texas private school has produced a top-quality QB at a big school.

Rick McIvor -- Way too many injuries.  He was widely heralded when he signed with Texas, but was never a full season starter.  He ended up splitting QB time with the likes of Jon Aune, Donnie Little, Robert Brewer, Robb Moerschell and Todd Dodge. Fittingly, his Longhorn career ended with the 10-9 loss to Georgia in the Cotton Bowl game.  He ended up getting drafted and playing in the in the NFL for 6 games over 2 years, but didn't complete a single pass.

Hadnot, Simmons, yep...

Here’s an obscure one for you. Mark McBath...

As DKR’s last QB he went 2-2 as a true freshman.

The next year, before he was injured he was 3-0 with the Horns scoring 44, 68 & 72 points.  The kind of point production we’d never see again under Akers.

The following year he returned just in time to lead Texas to a 29-12 win over A&M and a 42-0 win over Maryland in the Sun Bowl.

Then we never saw him again.  He left school to be something stupid like a doctor, lawyer or the pope.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i forgot about kubiak.  does air force count as a big school?  beau morgan went to trinity addison in the early 90s and then went to air force. 

I think I'd give you that. Morgan was a pretty good college player if memory serves.

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Linus Baer.

I went to HS with Linus's daughter. /coolstarrybra