Players You Thought Were Wasted Talent/Surfire Stars on the 40 Acres

d.plainview872

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Most of the players we signed between February 2010 and Mack Brown's firing were huge disappointments to me. Gray is the best example. 

Reaching back a little further, I would say Malcolm Williams was one-- I thought that 91-ydr against Tech presaged bigger things. Nope!

Edorian McCullough was another. I don't follow recruiting closely, but I seem to recall McCullough being touted as the best DB prospect we'd ever signed (or on that level), and that didn't turn out to be the case. 

Didn't ED flunk out after one year?

EMac -- although i thought i saw him on the field for Oregon State (i guess not, maybe the Wiki is incorrect tho)

University of Texas[edit]

He committed to the University of Texas in January 2002.[13][16][17] He signed his national letter of intent the following month.[18] As a true freshman in 2002, McCullough appeared in all 13 games for the Longhorns,[19] playing in a reserve role at the nickelback position and as a kickoff returner.[20][21] He had 19 tackles and an interception in 2002 and shared the Longhorns' Outstanding Defensive Newcomer Award.[19]

In May 2003, at the end of his freshman year, McCullough was one of four Texas football players arrested after marijuana was discovered in their vehicle following a traffic stop.[22][23] In July 2003, the Madison County District Attorney announced that his office would not pursue marijuana possession charges against the four players.[24]

As a sophomore in 2003, McCullough was required to sit out the football season for academic reasons. At the time of the announcement in July 2003, McCullough toldthe press, "I have some academic issues I need to take care of in order to return to the team."[25]

Junior college and Oregon State[edit]

In 2004, McCullough transferred to City College of San Francisco where he played football at the junior college level.[26][27] After one year in San Francisco, McCullough was selected as a junior college All-American and a four-star player by JC Gridwire.[28]

In February 2005, McCullough signed a letter of intent with Oregon State University as a junior college transfer student.[28] However, he was unable to play for Oregon State in 2005 for academic reasons.[29][30]

Professional football[edit]

In April 2006, McCullough signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as a free agent.[31] In early September 2006, McCullough was released as part of the Jaguars final cuts before the start of the 2006 NFL season.[32] In February 2007, McCullough signed with the Frankfurt Galaxy in the NFL Europa.[33] He played for the Galaxy during the 2007 NFL Europa season. He was a member of the 2007 Galaxy team that lost the NFL Europa championship to the Hamburg Sea Devils in World Bowl XV.[34] In January 2010, McCullough signed with the West Texas Roughnecks of the Indoor Football League.[19]

Edited by NowThis

6 minutes ago, Dewey said:
26 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:
Pickney and Adams both.  I thought they’d have 100 catches a year.  

Pinkney was a bust, long and talented, but troubled. Adams was crushed by knee injuries and was still productive. He lost a gear, was still fast enough to return punts.

See I think of Adams as the bigger “bust” of those two. Pinkney was an admitted former crack dealer who should probably never have been allowed on campus.  But you knew what you were getting into there.   

For Adams, I don’t remember the injuries as much as the constant over-the-top bullshit. The Fotomat drive-thru, the punching his girlfriend and a cop the same night, etc.  I remember how that “offseason 60-day team suspension” for a charge of aggravated assault on a police officer was potrayed in the media.  

But he was more productive that Pickney I guess.  

Oh, by the end of Pickney’s stay on the 40 he looked like a tall LB.  Think he was playing TE even.  What happened there?

1 hour ago, d.plainview872 said:

Im in the minority. I thought he was bad in that game. I dont know how anyone would have thought that was an aspiring or promising performance.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Same.  It was Shipley getting wide ass open twice.  

we watched quite a bit of him in high school and had my reservations.  he looked all world because his OL would maul the opposing DLs who averaged 5'10" 190.  lake travis was literally heads and shoulders taller than pretty much every team they played.  gilbert was never pressured and never really had to go through any reads.  

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we watched quite a bit of him in high school and had my reservations.  he looked all world because his OL would maul the opposing DLs who averaged 5'10" 190.  lake travis was literally heads and shoulders taller than pretty much every team they played.  gilbert was never pressured and never really had to go through any reads.  

We also completely went away from the scheme he was built for and made him run an entirely different type of offense neither our head coach, OC, offensive linemen and QB were recruited for/familiar with.  All because Mack was desperate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The staff could never find a home for Drew Kelson. He made some plays including the game-sealer against the buckeyes. at night. in the shoe. Zwick got fucking mangled on this play

Today, that would be a targeting call. Or at least looked at.

I am not sure if wasted means they were played out of position, underutilized, or for some reason the coaches and staff couldn't help the young man get his head on straight. 

If the latter counts, then Ramonce Taylor needs consideration as well.  That guy was electrifying.

Memory's a fickle thing. I have zero recollection of Edorian McCullough playing for us. If asked, I probably would have ventured a guess that he flunked out during a redshirt year or something equally quiet. 

Real shame we didn't have THAT motherfucker, along w/the two linebackers, on the 2005 defense. I'm picturing Dan Fouts crying in the booth at the Rose Bowl. "STOP, STOP,  USC IS DEAD ALREADY!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Today, that would be a targeting call. Or at least looked at.

I am not sure if wasted means they were played out of position, underutilized, or for some reason the coaches and staff couldn't help the young man get his head on straight. 

If the latter counts, then Ramonce Taylor needs consideration as well.  That guy was electrifying.

Ramonce was every bit as good as Reggie Bush. 

my fav is the reverse vs Okie Lite at about :50 , but there are tons of amazing plays on here. So freaking explosive.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

David Ash, I was certain he was going to right the ship were it not for the injuries.

Marcus Johnson only showed up against OU. The dude was a ghost the rest of his career.

Wasn’t there a Marcus Johnson thread on Texags when they declared Marcus Johnson> any sip receivers? He then promptly flipped to us. That shit was greatness

26 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Ramonce was every bit as good as Reggie Bush. 

my fav is the reverse vs Okie Lite at about :50 , but there are tons of amazing plays on here. So freaking explosive.

USC fans bristled when I called Bush "a poor man's Ramonce Taylor."  But RT was a much better runner between the tackles.

And explosiveness is often an issue with hash oil...

33 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Memory's a fickle thing. I have zero recollection of Edorian McCullough playing for us. If asked, I probably would have ventured a guess that he flunked out during a redshirt year or something equally quiet. 

Real shame we didn't have THAT motherfucker, along w/the two linebackers, on the 2005 defense. I'm picturing Dan Fouts crying in the booth at the Rose Bowl. "STOP, STOP,  USC IS DEAD ALREADY!"

I have a distinct memory of Edorian seeing the field on special teams his true freshman year.  I think he had left Texas by the time the spring practice started the following year.

Rufus Harris and Kaelen Jakes from back in the day.  

Ivan Williams was borderline being a never-was until he lit up Washington in the Holiday Bowl and about single-handedly won that game for us.  

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

the entire OL fro 2000-2003 who should have crushed opponents but played a soft zone. Look at some of the youtube video, it's criminal how bad the schemes were when you had Leonard Davis, the Dockery boy and Mike Williams (OL). Massive powerful guys who were never allowed to crush. 

VY makes people forget how close Mack was to getting run out of town. 

the entire OL fro 2000-2003 who should have crushed opponents but played a soft zone. Look at some of the youtube video, it's criminal how bad the schemes were when you had Leonard Davis, the Dockery boy and Mike Williams (OL). Massive powerful guys who were never allowed to crush. 

AKA the blocking sled controversy days.

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

VY makes people forget how close Mack was to getting run out of town. 

with the 2000-2003 talent, UT could have won 1, 2 or 3 national titles had the staff been elite. Remember "mugging the LOS" by the LBs? The schemes were shit, the OU blowouts.  Mack is not a good tactician, great piler of NFL talent, but that's the limit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NowThis said:

with the 2000-2003 talent, UT could have won 1, 2 or 3 national titles had the staff been elite. Remember "mugging the LOS" by the LBs? The schemes were shit, the OU blowouts.  Mack is not a good tactician, great piler of NFL talent, but that's the limit. 

I try to forget, but I just can’t. 

In order:

Robert Timmons looked unbelievable in practice his freshman year.

deSean Hales had the best highlight vid I have ever seen.

John Chiles had the 2nd best.

If not for injury, Marco Martin, Bryan Pickryl, and Jon Gray probably would have been all Americans.

Edorian McCullough, Mal Williams, and Darius White should have been all Americans after the early flashes they showed.  They all had 1st round athletic ability.

Drew Kelson didn’t become what I thought he would.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

USC fans bristled when I called Bush "a poor man's Ramonce Taylor."  But RT was a much better runner between the tackles.

And explosiveness is often an issue with hash oil...

I realize this is kind of a stupid thing to say, but Ramonce reminded me of a big Eric Metcalf.

Also, let's add the name BJ Johnson to the thread.  There were three huge WR recruits that year -- BJ, Roy, and who was the other one?  Sloan Thomas?  If so, him too.

• Like 1