Players You Thought Were Wasted Talent/Surfire Stars on the 40 Acres

d.plainview872

Garrett fucking Gilbert.  He was soft and accounted for the only losing season during Mack's tenure as HC. We all believed he was going to be the next big thing and so did Mack because he put all his eggs in that basket and when GG flopped it fucked the team for the foreseeable future with a legacy QB and a 3 star who was intended to be a clipboard holder left to fill the void.
Mason Walters was the #1 Guard in the country and he was terrible.

That 2009 class was Mack's biggest failure out of all his recruiting classes. There was so much hype and very few of those players contributed much of anything.
https://texas.rivals.com/commitments/football/2009

That class was atrocious in the trenches.

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought he was horrible at Texas. He did alright once he left though, I think.

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=784

FRESHMAN (2008)
Appeared in 12 games at wide receiver ... caught five passes for 84 yards and two TDs 

SOPHOMORE (2009)
Appeared in 14 games at wide receiver, including eight starts ... made 45 receptions for 442 yards and four TDs 

He was definitely improving.

23 hours ago, Snacks said:

Greg Timmons.
HS All American. Watched him catch everything thrown to him.

Duke Catalon.
Watched him in little league and HS... Could take over a game on offense or defense.

this right here, whatever happened to timmons  he transfered  and never heard anything from him again 

15 hours ago, bluto said:

The Jmarcus Webb mention, this is gonna sound semi regarded as "HE MADE THE NFL" ... if those NFL coaches and trainers couldn't get to him to be even serviceable, he didn't have a chance of being a decent football player. Unbelievable a guy that untalented, dumb, and unmotivated made that much money in the league. 

The guy made the NFL because he's a sick athlete with ballerina feet.  the fact that he couldn't make it because he's a dumbass is why this thread exists. He's the definition of wasted talent.  5 different NFL teams have signed him with the intention of making him a starter.  He's not untalented.  Just lazy and stupid.

Edited by Bateshorn

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The guy made the NFL because he's a sick athlete with ballerina feet.  the fact that he couldn't make it because he's a dumbass is why this thread exists. He's the definition of wasted talent.  5 different NFL teams have signed him with the intention of making him a starter.  He's not untalented.  Just lazy and stupid.

That's the exact opposite of this report  

https://12thmanrising.com/2016/03/28/seahawks-tape-study-new-starting-rt-jmarcus-webb/

comparing to 2017 OL combine numbers (randomly) his 40 was exactly avg, his vert and broad jump minutely below avg, and his 3 cone and 20 yd shuttle minutely better than avg. combine those stats with 17 reps and this guy wasn't exactly Tyron Smith athletically. 

The list for me is too long, nearly one or two guys from every class, though my history only got back to the beginning of the Mack era  

Robert Timmons - where’d he go? He was supposed to take the torch from Roy

Drew Kelson - all world safety potential but they tried make him play LB his first 3 years and he got buried on the depth chart  

Ramonce Taylor - I believe players have done worse things than smoke weed at UT (and certainly at other schools) and coaches have looked the other way. This was an all-world talent, but Mack’s arrogance coming off an MNC was that he had it figured out and he (Mack) could do it with plug and play guys. He booted Ramonce, that sent his life in a downward spiral to where he got caught with the backpack full of weed and couldn’t even play at “Texas College.” SMH

Jermichael Finley - Not enough time in the game to throw to a TE and get in the requisite number of 2 yard outs!

Sergio Kindle - Could’ve been a more physically talented Derrick Johnson...but forced to sit the bench two years behind “bled for the program” guys, then switched to DE to fill a depth need. Then drove his car into a cinder block wall.

Earl Thomas - He wasn’t talented enough as a true freshman to play over the guys we had on the field to the extent you redshirt him and waste one of his years on campus? Well done, Mack Brown. Yet dudes like Gideon and Haynes can start as true freshman opening game.

Malcolm Brown/Johnathan Gray - JFC...in the whole state of Texas you can’t find 5 guys to blocks for these two?

DJ Monroe - fastest guy on the field kept on the sidelines because the coaches couldn’t figure out how to integrate him into the game plan. Their best attempt was running slot reverses and jet sweeps to him every time he went into the game so the defense always knew it was coming. 

Deshon Hales - Sick talent. Never really utilized.

David Ash - Not as talented as Simms, but could have had a similar career if not abused physically. How different Mack and/or Charlie’s fates might have been with a healthy Ash to go along with the RB/WR talent on campus rather than the Case McCoy-Tyrone Swoopes festival. 

To a lesser extent, there are guys in the current era that are severely underutilized like Finley was. Collin Johnson is often the most gifted player on the field, but we sleep on him for long stretches of games. I expected him to go pro and start tearing it up, and some graphic come up like he only averaged 3 receptions and 0.2 TDs per game in college. Duverney is the fastest guy on the field and Heard has sick moves in space, but we never seemed to take full advantage of their talents. We were lucky Sam didn’t get an Ash-like injury for as much as Herman our on him that could have been somewhat offloaded onto the other guys with scheme. 

• Like 2

Should also throw in the Shipley boys. Jordan has the double ACL injuries that delayed him a couple years and kept him from reaching full physical potential, yet had an incredible career. Nobody’s fault and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. I expected Jaxon to be a pristine version of Jordan, and even if he wasn’t quite as good, with two healthy ACLs maybe he’d be better physically and make up for it (or exceed Jordan). He was lost in the desert of Gilbert/Case/Swoopes and his stats don’t even register on the charts. 

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The list for me is too long, nearly one or two guys from every class, though my history only got back to the beginning of the Mack era  

Drew Kelson - all world safety potential but they tried make him play LB his first 3 years and he got buried on the depth chart  

Ramonce Taylor - I believe players have done worse things than smoke weed at UT (and certainly at other schools) and coaches have looked the other way. This was an all-world talent, but Mack’s arrogance coming off an MNC was that he had it figured out and he (Mack) could do it with plug and play guys. He booted Ramonce, that sent his life in a downward spiral to where he got caught with the backpack full of weed and couldn’t even play at “Texas College.” SMH 

Jermichael Finley - Not enough time in the game to throw to a TE and get in the requisite number of 2 yard outs!

Sergio Kindle - Could’ve been a more physically talented Derrick Johnson...but forced to sit the bench two years behind “bled for the program” guys, then switched to DE to fill a depth need. Then drove his car into a cinder block wall. 

Earl Thomas - He wasn’t talented enough as a true freshman to play over the guys we had on the field to the extent you redshirt him and waste one of his years on campus? Well done, Mack Brown. Yet dudes like Gideon and Haynes can start as true freshman opening game. 

Malcolm Brown/Johnathan Gray - JFC...in the whole state of Texas you can’t find 5 guys to blocks for these two?

DJ Monroe - fastest guy on the field kept on the sidelines because the coaches couldn’t figure out how to integrate him into the game plan. Their best attempt was running slot reverses and jet sweeps to him every time he went into the game so the defense always knew it was coming. 

David Ash - Not as talented as Simms, but could have had a similar career if not abused physically. How different Mack and/or Charlie’s fates might have been with a healthy Ash to go along with the RB/WR talent on campus rather than the Case McCoy-Tyrone Swoopes festival. 

To a lesser extent, there are guys in the current era that are severely underutilized like Finley was. Collin Johnson is often the most gifted player on the field, but we sleep on him for long stretches of games. I expected him to go pro and start tearing it up, and some graphic come up like he only averaged 3 receptions and 0.2 TDs per game in college. Duverney is the fastest guy on the field and Heard has sick moves in space, but we never seemed to take full advantage of their talents. We were lucky Sam didn’t get an Ash-like injury for as much as Herman our on him that could have been somewhat offloaded onto the other guys with scheme. 

Kindle and Thomas?  Dafuq?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

"Not maximized" doesn't mean "wasted".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Kindle and Thomas?  Dafuq?

I thought we bitching about wasted talent, and what they could have done vs actually did based on stupid coaching decisions and player development, or for others it was poor surrounding talent, off field issues, or “lost in the shuffle.”

On 1/23/2019 at 6:12 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Most of the players we signed between February 2010 and Mack Brown's firing were huge disappointments to me. Gray is the best example. 

Reaching back a little further, I would say Malcolm Williams was one-- I thought that 91-ydr against Tech presaged bigger things. Nope!

Edorian McCullough was another. I don't follow recruiting closely, but I seem to recall McCullough being touted as the best DB prospect we'd ever signed (or on that level), and that didn't turn out to be the case. 

Interesting in that both were from the city of Garland.

23 hours ago, markstanco said:

He was definitely improving.

Well I am not going to break out the game film from a decade ago but I recall not liking his game much at all. Granted we had come off a pretty good string of elite wide outs so it could have been my standards were higher at the time than they are now.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, jdhorn92 said:

Erik Hardeman?

I thought he was gonna be nails

I think I remember he got pinched with a bit of cocain and weed at a traffic stop?

this thread is starting to make me equal parts sad and angry 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think it can be argued that Kindle did not live up to the hype he had coming in-- but, your mileage may vary. Not all 5-stars are created equal, a guy doesn't have to be Vince Young to be a 5-star.

If you look at our list of 5-stars from the Mack years, Kindle is not anywhere close to the biggest bust. I have never even heard of some of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think it can be argued that Kindle did not live up to the hype he had coming in-- but, your mileage may vary. Not all 5-stars are created equal, a guy doesn't have to be Vince Young to be a 5-star.

A guy who is first team all big 12 twice and a first team All American is living up to the hype, IMO.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

There’s a lot of strange stuff in this post that’s been touched on by others. But just as a point of order,  Dylan Haines didn’t start as a true freshman, he was a redshirt sophomore.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

I thought he was gonna be nails

I think I remember he got pinched with a bit of cocain and weed at a traffic stop?

this thread is starting to make me equal parts sad and angry 

yeah he may have been caught up with Joseph (the safety prospect) , Robert Joseph. Andre Jones the only 5 Star ever out of El Paso (big DT) was another one that may have been caught up with those guys. 

14 hours ago, TornACL said:

Richard Land. 

I remember seeing we got this ginormous OL in our recruiting class and thinking how much we'd wreck shop. 

kdzw08x.jpg

Richard was friends with a guy that lived on my floor at Dobie and used to come hang out in our room.  He must have brought Richard over 6-8 times, and every time Richard would complain that he'd be starting if he'd had gone to Tennessee instead. The guy was not bright and was a complete fatass.  He struck me as being completely lazy, but I never saw him on a football field.

I thought that kid Chris Jones from Daingerfield was going to be really good.  High pointed the ball really well in his film and just seemed like a baller.

I thought he was gonna light it up too. He kicked ass in HS. True, he was probably the fastest kid on the field then, but still. He stayed injured and then just disappeared. I’m not even sure where he is now.