Players You Thought Were Wasted Talent/Surfire Stars on the 40 Acres

d.plainview872

39 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The entire "Class of Beef" from 1989 or whatever....headlined by OL Sam Adams and Bruce Bass...not a one of those 6 or 7 OL turned out to be worth a shit.

They didn't all suck.    Jeff Boyd had a good career and others were major contributors. 

And remember, that class of beef also had a few DL included in it.  Tommy Jeter and James Patton were part of that class.

Edit: damn I'm old and remember a lot of stupid shit.

Edited by JOSEYWALES66

6 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

They didn't all suck.    Jeff Boyd had a good career and others were major contributors. 

And remember, that class of beef also had a few DL included in it.  Tommy Jeter and James Patton were part of that class.

I thought Jeter and Patton (both of whom were very good) were a year ahead of the Class of Beef

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I thought Jeter and Patton (both of whom were very good) were a year ahead of the Class of Beef

I wasn't 100% positive so I cheated and looked it up.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/6/28/FB_1988_Roster.aspx?id=98

They are all listed as freshman. 

Paul Moriarity was probably the highest rated OL Texas signed that year but flunked out and ended up at OU of all places. 

Edited by JOSEYWALES66

9 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I'll be damned....and I stand corrected.  I guess it was Bass and Adams, who headlined the OL part of that class, that were busts.  But Boyd, C Johnson, Jeter, Patton as mentioned, were all good....that was actually a pretty damn good class that provided a lot of contributors to the 1990 year.  

hmmm, in chron order...

monti collier, adam doiron, lionel garr, beltran, pickryl, edorian mccollough big time (damn he was fast), mike williams, eric foreman, george walker, nic redwine, eddie jones, ben wells and christian scott (both in same class as earl thomas and ranked much higher - lol), jarvis humphrey, mason walters, tariq allen (big time), tevin mims, reggie wilson, tevin jackson, aaron benson, steve edmond, sheroid evans, m.j. mcfarland, curtis riser, shiro davis, bryson echols, donald hawkins, darius james, malik, john burt, pat hudson, erick fowler, toneil carter.

i knew the rest of them would suck.

8 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

There were a bunch of tailbacks right after Ricky who never achieved their hype potential.  I always wondered if guys like Victor Ike, Ivan Williams, and Sneezy Beltran might have been stars if they hadn’t all been on the roster at the same time and sandwiched between Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson.  

Imagine Fozzy and Sneezy in the same backfield.

39 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Paul Moriarity was probably the highest rated OL Texas signed that year but flunked out and ended up at OU of all places. 

Moriarty died suddenly about 2 months ago.  

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Imagine Fozzy and Sneezy in the same backfield.

Sneezy never wanted to leave Abilene.  True story.  My friend was his QB at Abilene High.  He would have gone to ACU had they offered him a full scholarship (back then they were Division II and divoded up scholarships)

1 minute ago, thestud said:

His quarterback in high school was Longhorn Network’s Ahmad Brooks with the exception of Kevin Goodman his senior year. Sneezy’s problem was the same problem that every talented ball player coming out of Abilene had and continues to have to this very day and that is they go from being a big fish in a small pond to a normal fish in a big pond. They can’t handle not being treated like they hung the moon and don’t get away with the shit they could back home.

Sneezy was a sophomore when Brooks was a senior.  Brooks was class of 97.  Beltran was class of 1999. 

Rick McIvor -- Way too many injuries.  He was widely heralded when he signed with Texas, but was never a full season starter.  He ended up splitting QB time with the likes of Jon Aune, Donnie Little, Robert Brewer, Robb Moerschell and Todd Dodge. Fittingly, his Longhorn career ended with the 10-9 loss to Georgia in the Cotton Bowl game.  He ended up getting drafted and playing in the in the NFL for 6 games over 2 years, but didn't complete a single pass.

Want to watch an awesome performance, McIvor against aggy in 1983, dude had a cannon

• Like 2

The Jmarcus Webb mention, this is gonna sound semi regarded as "HE MADE THE NFL" ... if those NFL coaches and trainers couldn't get to him to be even serviceable, he didn't have a chance of being a decent football player. Unbelievable a guy that untalented, dumb, and unmotivated made that much money in the league. 

Edited by bluto

38 minutes ago, bluto said:

The Jmarcus Webb mention, this is gonna sound semi regarded as "HE MADE THE NFL" ... if those NFL coaches and trainers couldn't get to him to be even serviceable, he didn't have a chance of being a decent football player. Unbelievable a guy that untalented, dumb, and unmotivated made that much money in the league. 

Webb is the biggest dude I have ever stood next to. 

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Ramonce was every bit as good as Reggie Bush. 

my fav is the reverse vs Okie Lite at about :50 , but there are tons of amazing plays on here. So freaking explosive.

Jesus, I remember him being good but he had that gear.  

The ohio state end zone fuck up still one of my favorite plays. 

Garrett fucking Gilbert.  He was soft and accounted for the only losing season during Mack's tenure as HC. We all believed he was going to be the next big thing and so did Mack because he put all his eggs in that basket and when GG flopped it fucked the team for the foreseeable future with a legacy QB and a 3 star who was intended to be a clipboard holder left to fill the void.

Mason Walters was the #1 Guard in the country and he was terrible.

That 2009 class was Mack's biggest failure out of all his recruiting classes. There was so much hype and very few of those players contributed much of anything.

https://texas.rivals.com/commitments/football/2009

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Want to watch an awesome performance, McIvor against aggy in 1983, dude had a cannon

To be fair, he had a 30 mph wind behind him to help his performance, but what a stud! Thanks for posting that game.  It brought back memories of how dominating the defense was under Akers and defensive coordinator, David McWilliams.  Horns crushed aggy in the third quarter with some spectacular pass plays.  So many great names playing for Texas back then.

Edit:  It also reminded me of how much of what happened in 1983 would be classified as "targeting" and how little of it would now be called "holding."

Edited by DalTxHornFan

I remember a TE that I thought was going to be a stud but cant remember the last name. His first name was Terell and his nickname was I.C.E. I Catch Everything. Also others you guys mentioned.

Eddie Jones, Tray Allen, Mason Walters, Christian Scott, Ben Wells, Robert Joseph, Henry James, Malcom Brown, J. Gray, DJ Monroe, Reggie Wilson, Tevin Jackson (looked like he got out of prison), Steve Edmond, Jared Norton, Andre Jones

Edited by d.plainview872