Players You Thought Were Wasted Talent/Surfire Stars on the 40 Acres

d.plainview872

J Gray would have been so good if not for the Achilles. 

Also, can’t remember his name but the white wide receiver from that private school in Dallas. He has some big catches vs Notre Dame but decided to not come back the next year. That was the best high school highlight film I’d ever seen for a receiver. 

• Like 2

Most of the players we signed between February 2010 and Mack Brown's firing were huge disappointments to me. Gray is the best example. 

Reaching back a little further, I would say Malcolm Williams was one-- I thought that 91-ydr against Tech presaged bigger things. Nope!

Edorian McCullough was another. I don't follow recruiting closely, but I seem to recall McCullough being touted as the best DB prospect we'd ever signed (or on that level), and that didn't turn out to be the case. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Deoundrei Davis looked like the next Derrick Brooks before he stole laptops or some shit.

Him and the obvious answer is DJ Monroe.

Was just thinking about Davis the other day. Guy was a fuckin missle. It’s a shame he couldn’t keep his shit together off the field 

Taylor Bible was a 4 star DT and the #11 DT in the country if I remember correctly. I always hoped Steve Edmond would do more while he was here. He did everything for Daingerfield (tight end, FG’s, kickoffs, linebacker). I don’t think he ever came off the field.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

Garrett Gilbert. Even the NC game where he went in showed a lot of promise to me considering the circumstance. 

Im in the minority. I thought he was bad in that game. I dont know how anyone would have thought that was an aspiring or promising performance.

Edited by d.plainview872

DJ Monroe (wasted by the staff)

Brown/Gray (wasted by bad scheme/lazy coaching/Gray's injury)

Ash, especially after 2012 Ok State game (wasted by Major ramming him head first into defensive lines)

Taylor Bible (ate himself out of D-1 football)

Joe Bergeron (dumbass)

• Like 1

Jason Burleson, guy was a stud recruit as a 6’-5” 230lb QB as a freshman and was an athletic freak, strong and fast with a cannon arm.

Moved sophomore year to LB, then in his junior and senior years he had grown to 6’-5” 250 and they moved him to TE where he spent the next two years.

He only totaled like 17 catches for about 250 total for his career. I don’t know how many TD’s he scored, only one I remember is one against OU from Gardere.

There were a bunch of tailbacks right after Ricky who never achieved their hype potential.  I always wondered if guys like Victor Ike, Ivan Williams, and Sneezy Beltran might have been stars if they hadn’t all been on the roster at the same time and sandwiched between Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson.  

the entire OL fro 2000-2003 who should have crushed opponents but played a soft zone. Look at some of the youtube video, it's criminal how bad the schemes were when you had Leonard Davis, the Dockery boy and Mike Williams (OL). Massive powerful guys who were never allowed to crush. 

• Like 1

Pickney and Adams both.  I thought they’d have 100 catches a year.  
Pinkney was a bust, long and talented, but troubled. Adams was crushed by knee injuries and was still productive. He lost a gear, was still fast enough to return punts.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Edorian McCullough

yes. 

56 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Adrian Colbert. I thought he would be the next 1st round pick out of the secondary. Still with the Niners

adrian phillips is a goddamn all-pro in san diego.  after being a key figure in the most horrible gif I’ve ever seen and then going undrafted. 

8 minutes ago, Dewey said:
27 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:
Pickney and Adams both.  I thought they’d have 100 catches a year.  

Pinkney was a bust, long and talented, but troubled. Adams was crushed by knee injuries and was still productive. He lost a gear, was still fast enough to return punts.

Correct on Adams.  He balled out for us against aggy in 1995 and 1996 and against Nebraska in the 1996 Big XII title game. 

Malcolm Williams is a big one, the kid had all the potential to be a star at Texas. But he vanished into thin air after the 2010 season, no one I've talked to knows where he is.

Dan Buckner was just a bad football player from the get-go. Slow, stiff, bad hands, couldn't block. He was close to useless on the field.

• Like 1