Texas recruiting notes 2019

On 3/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, BornOrange said:

I wanted a grad transfer or a true RB1 even before Brown's medical issue, so now I think it is almost a necessity.

However, part of me wants to go into the season with what we have now.  The optimist in me sees Ingram becoming the feature back we all hope he can be, Young proving last year was a sophomore slump and proving to be a useful RB2 and short-yardage back, Johnson overcoming injuries and winning the Gaskamp award, and Whittington being the reincarnation of Ramonce Taylor.

If two or more of those situations come true we could have a special season. I wouldn't put any money on Johnson being able to stay healthy at RB, but he did seem to stay healthy on special teams. Maybe his injury problems are behind him, hopefully for at least one more season. Young wouldn't be the first to have a disappointing second season compared to productive seasons as a freshman, junior and senior. The term "sophomore slump" has been around for a while for good reason.

We really need at least two guys to play to their potential. The QB is always going to be an option to run in Herman's offense, but if we can get the RB room up to our standard they should take a lot of the running game responsibility from the QB. We want to run Sam (or any QB for that matter) as little as possible throughout the season to save him for the really important games.

If we can get two good players out of Ingram, Young, Johnson, and Whittington that would be great.

Adding a fifth player to the group through grad transfer would make finding two good RB's a more likely result though.

I feel like Jake has some carries in him. Perhaps of the jet sweep or reverse variety.

If Bru is eligible I might argue the same. But I'd rather he stay outside.

What is the scouting report on Willie Tyler?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I feel like Jake has some carries in him. Perhaps of the jet sweep or reverse variety.

If Bru is eligible I might argue the same. But I'd rather he stay outside.

What is the scouting report on Willie Tyler?

Tyler will be a shit running back, maybe after a red shirt year when he can cut 100lbs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Owens' time is reported as a 10.29, but I think he jumped the gun.

He definitely did, but I think he might’ve won anyway. Regardless, that dude is freakishly fast. Probably still would’ve run like a 10.4 without the jump.

Watching him reminds me of those clips of Gary Johnson running like a 10.6 in HS, except GJ wasn’t 6’3.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He definitely did, but I think he might’ve won anyway. Regardless, that dude is freakishly fast. Probably still would’ve run like a 10.4 without the jump.

Watching him reminds me of those clips of Gary Johnson running like a 10.6 in HS, except GJ wasn’t 6’3.

Darrell Green speed and a Steve Atwater body.  Nice.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

False start or perfect guess but either way nobody was running him down and he’s so much bigger 

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He definitely did, but I think he might’ve won anyway.

I was thinking so as well, but then remembered track meets from years gone by. 

The recording device was about 40 to 50 meters from the start. Unless you can see him move before the puff of smoke, and I’m going to have to go back and see if we can see a puff of smoke,  he didn’t jump early. 

The sound is for general reference once you get halfway down the track. 

That said, I think that 2nd place was at least as fast as Owens, he just didn’t get the same start. 

Min summary, Owens is going to be a bad dude. 

1 hour ago, Tired of Lurking said:

If Jeffery Simmons can knock out a woman and still play college ball after sitting out one meaningless game, Demarco Boyd can punch someone who rear-ended his brother and play college ball after sitting out a year.

I would not use rural MS as the bar. I think you meant if Mixon can break a girls face, have Stoops and Joe go to Boren for the states help in hidding the video for 16 months after he’s allowed to play. Well we should allow a guy who beat the fuck out of a dude who was being a clown in a metal box and ended up rear ending his brother. Boyd was actually cut off from the team and locker room unlike Mixon’s RS year. ou sucks

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 1