Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 hours ago, Nowhichski said:

This. I never saw Wilson play live, just watched the film, and trusted the word of people on this board that he was great. But, no sour grapes, his film didn't blow me away. I too feel much more dejected about losing Leal than Wilson. But, we do need something good to happen soon. Been a rough couple of weeks. 

Relax...and have a cup of coffee....

EJ after dark: New CB pick; visit scoop

— I put in a Crystal Ball pick today for four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith. I have been contemplating putting this pick in for a while. After all, Smith has made a pair of visits this offseason and will return for an official visit down the line. He has a great relationship with the staff and Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington is an X-Factor here. According to a source, USC and Texas have separated themselves as the two teams to beat, and I feel like Texas can win this battle.

— Four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II loved his visit over the weekend. He really bonded with guys like BJ Foster and Anthony Cook and continued to build his bond with cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. I briefly caught up with Watson’s father, who told me the Texas official visit was ‘absolutely amazing.’ Remember, Watson is set to make his decision tomorrow, and we feel really good about where the Longhorns stand.

— Texas also played host to five-star Grayson (GA) outside linebacker Owen Pappoe. I’m told the Longhorns made a big impression on his visit and gave him a lot to think about. However, Pappoe wants to stay closer to home, and I still believe Auburn is the clear team to beat in his recruitment. Texas gave it a shot, but expect the Longhorns to come up short here.

— Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy made his way to Texas for an unofficial visit and loved his time on campus. While USC remains the favorite, Texas is doing a phenomenal job of recruiting McCoy, and the Longhorns are certainly major players in this one. Texas linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd was in McCoy’s ear all weekend and is giving UT a boost in this recruitment. Expect McCoy to return to Austin for an official visit.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar was busy in the Dallas-area on Monday as he kicked off the day by seeing rising defensive back Jonathan McGill. Texas has been evaluating McGill for a while now, and he remains hopeful an offer will eventually come. Naivar also made his way to Duncanville to see four-star 2020 safety target Chris Thompson, who is high on the Longhorns early on. Duncanville is also home to four-star 2020 athlete offer Ja'Quinden Jackson.

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck made his way to North Texas, where he watched four-star 2020 Weatherford quarterback Ken Seals in action. Texas is closely evaluating Seals, who missed his sophomore season due to transfer rules. Seals visited Texas earlier this offseason and has high interest in the program. He is definitely a name to know moving forward.

— Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles spent the day in South Dallas and saw one of the hottest prospects in the state in four-star Dallas Carter defensive tackle Branard Wright, who holds several major offers. Don’t be surprised if Texas jumps in the mix soon. Giles also saw rising 2019 defensive linemen Xavier Ross and Z’core Brooks during his tour. Both are on the radar.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton was also in South Dallas today. He joined Giles for his trip to Cedar Hill and checked in on 2020 athlete Quin Bright, who holds a handful of major offers. Bright has the potential to be a scat back or slot receiver at the next level. Drayton also stopped by Lancaster, which is home to 2020 athlete Kevontre Bradford, who, like Bright, can play running back and slot receiver and holds some early P5 offers.

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer made the short trip to Round Rock Cedar Ridge to see Baylor wide receiver commit Jaylen Ellis. Texas has been evaluating Ellis for several months, and an offer could change the course of his recruitment. However, Ellis is getting a little irked with the process, so it will be interesting to see if the Longhorns do extend a scholarship in the near future.

18 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just passing along what I've been hearing, but it sounds like UT really cooled off on Wilson and he basically didn't have an offer by the time he committed to OSU. Herman is big on Texas guys who love Texas (and good kids who graduate) and Wilson didn't really check off those boxes. Look for UT to start looking at some higher character Texas kids in the Brock Fitzhenry mold now that they have moved on from Wilson. 

I do not believe a single word of this. This is what you say when you don’t want to accept the truth. We just finished 2nd! It happens. It sucks but happens

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

I do not believe a single word of this. This is what you say when you don’t want to accept the truth. We just finished 2nd! It happens. It sucks but happens

Can't sneak anything pass this guy 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, utfan87 said:

Why does the message seem to be working more effectively with oos kids than in-state ones?

Because the Texas talent overrates themselves and love being coddled into thinking they are the next [insert name]/aggy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

1. What makes you think that we're only getting info from Richardson's side

2. The info they were supposed to keep quiet was that Texas was visiting Demani? Well I guess we shouldn't let A&M know by putting it up on our board, even though they were there too.

3. What makes you think we don't go through the proper channels before we release something?

Sometimes we get stuff that the others can't post because we have different sources that they don't and they have different source we don't. Sometimes it depends on who gives it to you and how comfortable they are with sharing it. Then you have to wondering how will this affect everything and make sure it doesn't destroy a recruitment in some way.

In this case, we went through multiple channels, knew Texas A&M and Texas would be there, knew that A&M and Texas knew each other would be there, and made sure that this info could be released (even though we really don't have to).

Also if Texas A&M is getting scoops from our board, then we need to be paid more and Jimbo shouldn't be making $75 million.

I appreciate the thorough response. Glad to hear you folk aren’t just running amok. 

Can we assume this is a requirement for all of the reports y’all put out? And you would be able to similarly justify each one if called out like you were? Apologies if that comes off antagonistic as that’s not my intention. Some of us that are only slightly-in-the-know get mixed information from slightly-more-in-the-know folks who feel $9.95ers occasionally stamp down a particular recruit’s momentum.

34 minutes ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

It was a joke, to mimic A&M posts when they lose a player...

Per Wells:

DL coach Oscar Giles will see FW Nolan Catholic’s NaNa Osafo-Mensah today.

RB coach Stan Drayton will see GP North Shore RB Zach Evans soon. 

OL coach Herb Hand will see Crandall’s Branson Bragg today.

TE coach Derek Warehime made a stop at John Tyler this morning, checking on K’Andre Street, Chance Billington, and Khalan Griffin

LHF doing the toughest work so we don't have to (all sic'd)

Hamm just video recruiting chat.

Synopsis

1. If Watson chooses Texas doubts he sticks.

2. Fisher does not negative recruit.

3. 2020 RB Zach Evans will be an aggy.

4. Recruits are lining up to play for Fisher.

5. Recruits are taking notice of Masculine Texas. (Whatever it means)

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

Why does the message seem to be working more effectively with oos kids than in-state ones?

Partly because oos kids don't get their panties in a wad when Texas isn't one of the early offers.  They probably understand that schools from halfway across the country don't always hear about them until after their junior seasons.  That, and Texas hs players are more coddled than those from most other states.

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Partly because oos kids don't get their panties in a wad when Texas isn't one of the early offers.  They probably understand that schools from halfway across the country don't always hear about them until after their junior seasons.  That, and Texas hs players are more coddled than those from most other states.

Less optimistically, they're also less in touch with the annual "This year, Texas is BACK" rise and collapse.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Less optimistically, they're also less in touch with the annual "This year, Texas is BACK" rise and collapse.

This is the most likely answer. The whole "Texas is coming back" thing has most likely gotten stale with the kids closest to us. It's why it's critically important to show some obvious signs of improvement on offense this year.

Edited by Lonestar88

I have written before that Texas HS coaches have shitted on Texas college programs basically demanding they make offers or they will try and shut down recruiting and when Texas was not going out of state at all it eventually caught up to them

I think some of the later Mack Brown issues besides lazy recruiting was relying on HS coaches to do the work for him and tell him which guys were the better ones with more potential and as other coaches came along at new jobs at top programs some of the Texas HS coaches started sending more of their questionable high star players with soft minds and weak work habits and less upside to Texas simply because Mack would sign them 11 months early and hit the golf course

and with Charlie he was just so fucked from day one because of the way the firing of Mack and the hire of Charlie was handled that Texas HS coaches saw no need to really break ties with other programs and help Charlie out they were like fuck it he will be gone soon enough

Charlie tried the out of state thing, but it looks like the Florida coaches shitted on him too with a package of 5 big time mostly flame outs and Charlie immediately abandoned the out of state thing and Texas HS coaches repaid him right back with more soft as fuck shit heads with limited upside

it is good to see Herman sticking to the out of state recruiting I would rather see him keep doing it at all cost because the truth is Texas HS coaches are not going to stop holding Texas college programs hostage until UT wins with out of state players on the team in meaningful numbers

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 3