Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

– Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks) ATH Mckel Broussard has been in Austin for a while now. While he was there the Texas staff watched his film and asked him to meet with them today. While he was there he met with the coaches, toured the campus and facilities, and watched h-back film with the coaches. They are pitching using him in a role a la Romance Taylor.

His father is a coach for the UCLA basketball team and he’s lived in a lot of places. While I wouldn’t say Texas is where he is from, it is definitely one of the places he calls home. His grandparents are from Houston, he spends a lot of time there and Austin as well, and he plays on the KB3 7v7 team (same team as Elijah Higgins, Garrett Wilson, and a whole bunch of other Texas boys).

He will be participating in the camp Friday, and he will be one of the guys getting the red carpet treatment. I’ll be surprised if Texas offers him right out the gate because he’s new on their scene and they have one or two other guys ahead of him.

– Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks) ATH Mckel Broussard has been in Austin for a while now. While he was there the Texas staff watched his film and asked him to meet with them today. While he was there he met with the coaches, toured the campus and facilities, and watched h-back film with the coaches. They are pitching using him in a role a la Romance Taylor.

His father is a coach for the UCLA basketball team and he’s lived in a lot of places. While I wouldn’t say Texas is where he is from, it is definitely one of the places he calls home. His grandparents are from Houston, he spends a lot of time there and Austin as well, and he plays on the KB3 7v7 team (same team as Elijah Higgins, Garrett Wilson, and a whole bunch of other Texas boys).

He will be participating in the camp Friday, and he will be one of the guys getting the red carpet treatment. I’ll be surprised if Texas offers him right out the gate because he’s new on their scene and they have one or two other guys ahead of him.

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-27th-29th/

Hide contents

So What Happens if Texas Doesn’t Win? | Sourced Note
– Super K

I recently spoke to someone with knowledge of how Texas athletic director, Chris Del Conte operates. As you all know, Del Conte was previously the athletic director at TCU. He oversaw a lot of football success there with coach Gary Patterson steering the ship.

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

TCU went 12-1 the next year with a dominating win in the Peach Bowl.

My source didn’t comment on what degree Del Conte had to push coach Patterson to make those changes but I certainly got the impression that no amount of reluctance was going to matter. Del Conte was going to insist upon those changes.

He also said in no uncertain terms that based on his knowledge of how Del Conte operates, if Texas doesn’t win this year, there will absolutely be changes made…willingly or otherwise.

Two Schools Pushing Hard for 4-Star Makiya Tongue
– Super K

Earlier this summers 2019 4-star ATH (WR/LB) dropped a top three of Texas, UGA and Arizona State…

I recently caught up with Makiya and he let me know that he will be at Georgia’s “G-day” this weekend. That obviously means he won’t be able to make it to Texas for this weekend’s recruiting event.

But, he said, “I am going up Monday though”. So, Makiya will visit two of his top three schools in the next few days.

With Makiya nearing a decision I asked him if it’s safe to say that it’s now a UGA vs. Texas battle to which he replied, “I wouldn’t say that but they have been in most contact”.

***In other words, it’s a UGA vs. Texas battle.

In terms of a decision, Makiya says he’d like to announce, “hopefully before the season starts”.

I surmise these two upcoming visits to Texas and to UGA or meant to help clarify a final decision.

2019 4-Star DT Rodas Johnson Goes from Possibly to Definitely
– Super K
As we mentioned earlier this week, 2019 DT Rodas Johnson (Columbus, OH) is currently in Texas visiting family and was considering a possible visit to Austin for Friday night’s recruiting event.
I spoke with Rodas earlier today and he confirmed that the visit is now set up and he will be at Texas Friday night. He also said he will be competing in the camp activities.

Rodas is a 4-star defensive lineman who lives in Columbus but is originally from Texas. He moved to Ohio in elementary school but has stayed connected to the state with visits down here every summer. Texas is still in his blood…

“This is my home. Ohio is just where I live”.

Johnson says he spoke with coach Giles yesterday, “Coach Giles just introduced himself and told me he’s really looking forward to getting me over there and meeting me”.

Rodas’ familiarity with Texas is more than skin deep. He understands the advantages of playing in Texas’ defense, “I know they want their guys to get up field and get after the quarterback. It’s a great defense to showcase your athleticism”. That’s a departure from the 2-gap scheme he plays in at St. Francis De Sales in Columbus, where he’s essentially asked to keep his linebackers clean – which he does quite well.

Following his trip to Texas on Friday, he plans to take a trip over to College Station to visit the Aggies.

So far, he’s taken a number of unofficial visits which include Michigan, Penn State and numerous trips to Penn State. He holds offers from all three programs. He said Ohio State has recruited him but as he put it, “Ohio State wants to offer in-state guys but they want to know you’re going to commit and I don’t want to do that”.

Rodas has also taken one official visit which was to Wisconsin.

He says if an offer from Texas comes, he will absolutely add them to his list of upcoming official visits which also includes Penn State and Michigan.

There’s no doubt Rodas loves the great state and if an offer comes, while I don’t see him pulling the trigger this weekend, I could see Texas moving into pole position.

Quick Hitter | Another Visitor From Cali
– Will Baizer

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

So Texas will go 4-8 this season and then we'll fire Beck?  Sweet!

4 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Imagine if someone wrote "Carrington has strong African-American ties" as much as the Langi thing for every black kid that came in. It's stupid and bordering on something else. 247 has its shitty style guide that churns every post out like it's a Clarence Thomas concurrence, but that one needs to end.

Asking for complexity from recruiting reporters is essentially asking them to be different people. They've ended up exactly where they belong.

• Like 1

It seems like we're warming back up with Gbenda. What's the likely outcome at LB?

Floyd, Gbenda, OOS guy (one of the west coasters or the Tillman guy), save a spot for Rian Davis + Tongue (developmental prospect as an ATH)?

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Machinator said:

It seems like we're warming back up with Gbenda. What's the likely outcome at LB?

Floyd, Gbenda, OOS guy (one of the west coasters or the Tillman guy), save a spot for Rian Davis + Tongue (developmental prospect)?

Tongue wont count as a LB prospect for the purposes of this class's count. 

IT

STARS AT NIGHT

The Stars at Night recruiting event returns tonight and almost half of the Class of 2019 will be in attendance.

There will be some top 2020 offers/targets too. And the 2021 prospects are legit.

Tonight should be fun. Joe and Eric will be there to speak with recruits after the event. Media will not be allowed to attend.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) TEXAS: The co-leader of #fUTure19 is back to recruit, have fun, and celebrating the one-year anniversary of his commitment.

RB McKel Broussard, Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks, CA): The 6-foot, 180-pound 4-star is an under the radar back with three offers and UCLA in pursuit. Texas is turning over every rock. 

RB Kyron Cumby, Plano High (Plano, TX): An all-purpose back with a Gummy Bear juice IV drip.

RB Mike Hollins, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA): Teammate of top target Makiya Tongue, Hollins is another tailback that Texas wants to see compete. The 3-star holds 20+ offers including Alabama, Florida, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. 

WR Jaylen Ellis, Cedar Ridge (Round Rock, TX): The Baylor commit will be on campus tonight. Texas is positioning itself well should it need to go in for the kill.

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Oklahoma City, OK) TEXAS: This'll be the first trip back to Austin for the No. 2 player in Oklahoma.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX) TEXAS: The Temple pipeline continues with the talented but under-the-radar two-sport athlete.

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX) TEXAS: One of the best in-state, Johnson and Javonne should be joined at the hip tonight. Literally, there might be a three-legged race.

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): He may or may not be on commit watch. As we've maintained Texas is still the leader though you know the drill. The staff has to recruit this one through the whistle.

DT Rodas Johnson, St. Francis De Sales (Columbus, OH): The Ohio native at 6-foot-3, 285, is one to watch this weekend. The 4-star holds 26 offers and Texas might be next. 

DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX): TEXAS: Mpagi is still beaming from his commitment. Great kid, good prospect, and eager to be back in the ATX.

LB Marcus Tillman, Jones (Orlando, FL): Rover candidate with a nice offer list. The staff is turning over every leaf. When a kid flies across the country to camp on his own dime he's interested.

CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (Alvin, TX) TEXAS: The most recent Longhorn verbal is returning for the first time since his pledge.

S Tyler Owens, Plano East (Plano, TX): Known for skull-crushing hits, this 6-foot-2, 202-pound safety has the nasty streak all safeties should be required to have. UCLA, Nebraska, and Kansas State are his best offers. 

QB Malik Hornsby, Austin (Houston, TX): Return of the Malik. This recruitment started out slow and steady....then BOOM. This will be an interesting recruitment to watch to say the least.

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): The perfect RB2 - 5'8, 185, 4.35 (40). He really likes Stan Drayton but name me a HS running back that doesn't.

WR Zeriah Beason, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX): The little brother of Marquez, Zeriah might be the better athlete with a little less dog.

WR Marvin Mims, Lone Star (Frisco, TX): Visited Texas for the pull party. He has the look of an offer for ZWR.

OL Cedric Melton, Klein Cain (Houston, TX): Melton is yet to yield an offer, but is being courted by many P5 schools and might end up at defensive end in college.

DE Braedon Nutter, Tomball Memorial (Tomball, TX): The 6-foot-3, 285-pounder holds one offer - Colorado. He might be a better guard prospect.

CB Lorando Johnson, Lancaster (Lancaster, TX): The best athlete at a program known for great athletes. A definite take at cornerback for Texas for 2020.

CB Jaylon Jones, Steele (Cibolo, TX): One of UT's top targets for 2020, Jones could play corner or safety at any school. If he keeps growing, he might be a rover.

S Jarrie Spikes, Cypress Creek (Houston, TX): The junior DB has speed in spades. 

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX): One of the nation's top defensive backs for 2020 is back in H-town. He likes the Horns. UT is doing well building this relationship. Wish we could see how he moves.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX): Keaontay's little bro isn't so lil'. Close to double-digit offers for the two-way stud. CB, nickel, safety, or slot, just get him on the field. Missed most of last season due to injury. 

WR Shadrach Banks, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX): The electric ATH from North Shore is an offer. Just a matter of when Texas makes it official.

WR Blaine Green, Allen (Allen, TX): Brother is Seth Green who moved to Allen after Kyler Murray departed and signed with Minnesota.

WR Bryson Green, Allen (Allen, TX): Could be the best twin duo since Rod and Rex from Rad.

WR Deamikkio Nathan, South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX): Holds an offer from BYU which means he's one of Margin Hooks' young talented guys (Hooks once starred at BYU).

OL Hayden Conner, Taylor (Katy, TX): The guy that Andrew Coker couldn't unseat last season is one of the best linemen in the state regardless of class. Texas A&M and Wisconsin are high on his list, so thank God he's only a sophomore.

OL Donovan Jackson, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX): Another of the multi-talented o-linemen from 2021's class. Incredible upside for a kid with good size and athleticism. Conner and Jackson are no-brainer offers.

DE Landyn Watson, Hutto (Hutto, TX): A future four-star with interesting grow potential. He could be on the TQ Graham curve.

ATH Lyrik Rawls, Jefferson (Jefferson, TX): At 6-foot-1, 170, the ETX safety can do a little of everything. His coach said he might be the best player he'll ever coach. Also an excellent basketball player. I love that Texas is in on him early. Ladder action.

CB Latrell McCutchin, LBJ (Austin, TX): This freshman is one to watch. 

NOTABLE NOTES

After the weekend's festivities, UT is set to host a few of its top targets on Monday and Tuesday ahead of the August dead period that begins on Wednesday.

Southern Lab (Baton Rouge) WR/LB Makiya Tongue will take an UOV to Austin. Again, if Georgia doesn't take him soon, you might be looking at the next Texas commit for the Class of 2019. They've told Tongue (6-foot-2, 215) he can play wide receiver, outside linebacker, punter, and practice DJ. He's a linebacker in college and Herman and staff will let him figure this out.

On Tuesday, Mansfield Legacy DB Jalen Catalon will be coming back to Austin, this time with his mother and sister. He wanted to visit the Stars at Night event, but is unable. So he told coach Naivar he'll get to the ATX as soon as he can. He told me yesterday it'll be Tuesday. Of note, there's a college coach in his area who is trying the negative recruiting route to sway Catalon to the dark side. Thankfully, Catalon is smart enough to see through the BS, much like you can see through this coach's sweat-soaked dri-fit.

If Cinco Ranch's David Gbenda doesn't make it in tonight for Stars at Night, there's a good chance he arrives in Austin next week as well. TCU, the school we always mentioned as a legitimate threat, is pushing for a pledge from the 4-star linebacker. Texas is starting to push back, which we'll go into at the proper time.

Finally, defensive back Noa Pola-Gates canceled his trip to Austin this weekend. The Gilbert, Arizona native offered this quote, "We have a family ordeal. I absolutely plan to reschedule. I'm very disappointed I couldn't make this weekend happen." Sounds sincere.

• Like 1

Of note, there's a college coach in his area who is trying the negative recruiting route to sway Catalon to the dark side. Thankfully, Catalon is smart enough to see through the BS, much like you can see through this coach's sweat-soaked dri-fit.

Gee, now who could this possibly be? 🙄 

On Tuesday, Mansfield Legacy DB Jalen Catalon will be coming back to Austin, this time with his mother and sister. He wanted to visit the Stars at Night event, but is unable. So he told coach Naivar he'll get to the ATX as soon as he can. He told me yesterday it'll be Tuesday. Of note, there's a college coach in his area who is trying the negative recruiting route to sway Catalon to the dark side. Thankfully, Catalon is smart enough to see through the BS, much like you can see through this coach's sweat-soaked dri-fit.

My sources say that coach has bitch tits.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Floyd, Gbenda, OOS guy (one of the west coasters or the Tillman guy), save a spot for Rian Davis + Tongue (developmental prospect as an ATH)?

Speaking of Rian, his twitter location is showing Houston.