Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Let's get this thread back on track. I hear that Texas pulled Wright's offer weeks ago and he basically had no choice but to commit to aggy. We've also got bigger names on our board like McCoy so Wright isn't really a loss. 

Gallagher envies your ability to stick to a bit.

If there is one thing I've learned this off-season it is that CDC doesn't fuck around.  He is a heavy hitter in the AD role and will be all up in Herman's ass with input on changes to the staff to the extent that he needs to be if Herman doesn't right the ship himself.  

It is kind of surprising to see an elite WR commit to Aggie based on that QB room and who they have committed at QB for next year.  I mean you are taking a pretty big leap that someone on that team can actually throw you the ball at some point before your Junior year.  That's a big ask based on that QB room IMHO.

And I say that knowing full well that our current QB room + RJ is no walk in the park either.  

10 minutes ago, deech said:

It is kind of surprising to see an elite WR commit to Aggie based on that QB room and who they have committed at QB for next year.  I mean you are taking a pretty big leap that someone on that team can actually throw you the ball at some point before your Junior year.  That's a big ask based on that QB room IMHO. 

And I say that knowing full well that our current QB room + RJ is no walk in the park either.  

Dameyune Craig is their WR coach. One of the best rainmakers/bagmen handlers in the game.

E.J. Holland: Texas keeping tabs on four-star Tech DL commit Steven Parker

It didn’t take Steven Parker long to make a decision. The four-star defensive end out of South Oak Cliff gave Texas Tech a verbal commitment in May of 2017, just a day after the Red Raiders put an offer on the table. So where does his verbal pledge stand now? “I’m still going to Tech right now,” Parker said. “That’s still a big commitment for me. That’s my hometown school. I really like Coach (Emett) Jones. I just like Tech overall.”

Parker is originally from West Texas, and Texas Tech assistant Emett Jones was the former head coach at South Oak Cliff, so there are plenty of connections to the program. But if there is one school that can make an impact in Parker's process, it’s Texas. UT defensive line coach Oscar Giles evaluated Parker, who attended the Longhorns’ satellite camp earlier this summer, and has remained in contact with him. “I talk to Texas a little bit off and on,” Parker said. “I’ve had some conversations with Coach Giles. He just said to keep working an getting better, and we’ll see where it goes from there.”

If Texas does extend an offer, Parker said he would take a closer look at the program. “It would be really nice to get a Texas offer,” Parker said. “I went to that satellite camp to get one. I would be interested in Texas if they did offer.” Parker does not have any official visits set at this time. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Parker is ranked as the No. 26 weak-side defensive end in the country and No. 40 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Texas keeping tabs on four-star Tech DL commit Steven Parker

Hide contents

It didn’t take Steven Parker long to make a decision. The four-star defensive end out of South Oak Cliff gave Texas Tech a verbal commitment in May of 2017, just a day after the Red Raiders put an offer on the table. So where does his verbal pledge stand now? “I’m still going to Tech right now,” Parker said. “That’s still a big commitment for me. That’s my hometown school. I really like Coach (Emett) Jones. I just like Tech overall.”

Parker is originally from West Texas, and Texas Tech assistant Emett Jones was the former head coach at South Oak Cliff, so there are plenty of connections to the program. But if there is one school that can make an impact in Parker's process, it’s Texas. UT defensive line coach Oscar Giles evaluated Parker, who attended the Longhorns’ satellite camp earlier this summer, and has remained in contact with him. “I talk to Texas a little bit off and on,” Parker said. “I’ve had some conversations with Coach Giles. He just said to keep working an getting better, and we’ll see where it goes from there.”

If Texas does extend an offer, Parker said he would take a closer look at the program. “It would be really nice to get a Texas offer,” Parker said. “I went to that satellite camp to get one. I would be interested in Texas if they did offer.” Parker does not have any official visits set at this time. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Parker is ranked as the No. 26 weak-side defensive end in the country and No. 40 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

No coach can get put into the Friend Zone more quickly and comfortably than Oscar Giles. Good lord. I bet he gets a lot of Christmas cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Let's get this thread back on track. I hear that Texas pulled Wright's offer weeks ago and he basically had no choice but to commit to aggy. We've also got bigger names on our board like McCoy so Wright isn't really a loss. 

I like what you say....any backup on this?  Beats us getting beat out by aggy h2h.

5 hours ago, deech said:

Yes, but it's worse today than normal because of the last commit.  No surprise there.  Figurelli and Karen are even laying into him. 

Ah, yes. The masters of shit talk who have never won anything. Don't they run this state or something? I remember hearing that somewhere.

DSCF0306.JPG

And Figurelli: did that snaggle-toothed bitch ever get his teeth fixed or is he still chewing on asphalt?

I like what you say....any backup on this?  Beats us getting beat out by aggy h2h.

He had some previously unknown character issues that forced Herman to pull his offer.

Also, the three stars we are going to get to replace him are hand picked and will be coached up. Plus they really get Texas.

• Haha 1

On 247 this is a comparison of our top 10 players vs aggy top 10 by star ratings.  aggy's list is warmed over shit except for Garrett and Kirk.  Tellus is a talented clown.  

VY, Sergio Kindle, Jackson Jeffcoat, BJ Johnson, Jonathan Gray, Rod Wright,  Jordan Hicks, Tray Allen, Malcom Brown, Mike Davis.

Myles Garrett, Reggie McNeal, Kyle Allen, Speedy Noil, Kenyon Green, Martellus Bennett, Jorrie Adams, Daylon Mack, Trey Williams, Christian Kirk.  

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

On 247 this is a comparison of our top 10 players vs aggy top 10 by star ratings.  aggy's list is warmed over shit except for Garrett and Kirk.  Tellus is a talented clown.  

VY, Sergio Kindle, Jackson Jeffcoat, BJ Johnson, Jonathan Gray, Rod Wright,  Jordan Hicks, Tray Allen, Malcom Brown, Mike Davis.

Myles Garrett, Reggie McNeal, Kyle Allen, Speedy Noil, Kenyon Green, Martellus Bennett, Jorrie Adams, Daylon Mack, Trey Williams, Christian Kirk.  

Aggy may squander more talent than anyone in the country, but they're kicking our ass on the trail right now. Hopefully Herman isn't burying his head in the sand the way some of you guys are and actually has a plan to make some necessary changes.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

Giles ability to coach-up talent has been severely overblown on this board by those trying to defend his recruiting.  IMO our DL improvement last season was largely due to talent gaining experience and scheme.  Giles is an above average developer of talent but at Texas we should be able to hire a DL coach who excels in both areas  I don't understand this idea that we should hire a special DL recruiting coach to cover up Giles' shortcomings, we should be maximizing all of our available resources.

Wait, talent?

Ford was a low 4 star

Chisholm was a 3 star

Omenihu was a 3 star

Hager was a 3 star

Nelson was a 3 star

Wilbon was a 3 star

Bimage was a 3 star

Christmas was a 3 star

Roach was a 3 star

The only highly regarded kid on the 2 deep this year is Graham.

So really what is your point, because we seem to be getting the same type of material that has become talented.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Aggy may squander more talent than anyone in the country, but they're kicking our ass on the trail right now. Hopefully Herman isn't burying his head in the sand the way some of you guys are and actually has a plan to make some necessary changes. 

They have 10 more commits than us and a lower average ranking. They've won some battles, but you're getting swept up in the rollercoaster hype.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wait, talent?

Ford was a low 4 star

Chisholm was a 3 star

Omenihu was a 3 star

Hager was a 3 star

Nelson was a 3 star

Wilbon was a 3 star

Bimage was a 3 star

Christmas was a 3 star

Roach was a 3 star

The only highly regarded kid on the 2 deep this year is Graham.

So really what is your point, because we seem to be getting the same type of material that has become talented.

Uh well uhm then it's all Orlando then. Yah, all Todd. 

Scipio Tex: Texas & In-State WR Recruiting

Here are the Top 15 wide receivers in the state of Texas as ranked by the 24-7 composite.

1. Garrett Wilson - Ohio State
2. Theo Wease - OU
3. Jordan Whittington - Texas
4. Arjei Henderson - OU
5. Trejan Bridges - OU
6. Elijah Higgins - Undecided
7. Dylan Wright - A&M

8. Jalen Curry - Undecided
9. Kam Brown - A&M
10. Tamauzia Brown - Undecided
11. Nnamdi Adim-Madumere - Minnesota
12. TQ Jackson - Arkansas
13. Genson Hooper-Price - Undecided
14. Chase Lane - A&M
15. Jaylen Ellis - Baylor

That may not reflect anyone's personal rankings, but it's good enough for our purposes. The gap between the Top 7 and the next eight is purposeful. In fact, if you view it in terms of tiers, it's useful to break the state into bunches of 7-8. For what it's worth, there are some players in Tier 3 not listed who are pretty good football players. 

Setting The Scene

The Longhorns knew coming into 2019 that wide receiver was a dire position of need. The Longhorn staff wants four or five. Further, the distance separating #1 to #7 isn't great. And even player #10 - outside of that Tier 1 group - is considered a Top 35 overall state of Texas prospect. This is very good news when you're seeking a need position. Proverbial fish in a barrel. Depth at the WR position in Texas is outstanding overall. There are wide receivers not listed in the elite tier who will have productive college and NFL careers. Bank on that. But talent variance will still hold here - as in any year in Texas. 2019 is a good WR talent year. Further, the out-of-state possibilities that proved available here (Smith in AZ, Houston in OK) mean that the staff could recruit with razor sharp focus on "their guys" in-state without having to cast a wide net. That should result in a higher hit rate and deeper relationships. 

Should. 

Today's Snapshot 

Six of the top seven elite tier are committed. Only one to Texas. And Whittington is the most likely candidate of the elite tier to make a future position switch to defense. Good news for Todd Orlando and the 2019 Horn class overall, but not in addressing need at WR. Texas was out of the running before the race even started for players like Theo Wease, Arjei Henderson and Trejan Bridges. For varying reasons. It's also debatable how much the staff coveted at least one of them. We can also set aside a small number of high level prospects with their hands out or with character issues. 

No excuses: Texas coveted Garrett Wilson, Jordan Whittington, Dylan Wright and Elijah Higgins. All four are Top 20 in-state prospects. Two of the four live within half an hour drive from the Texas campus. Texas has landed just one of their hyper-targets so far. 

What's Going On?

OU just finished a fantastic year on offense and Lincoln Riley has NFL assistants journeying to Norman to ask questions about his play design. Their QB threw for 4627 yards on his way to the Heisman. OU finally has a Texas recruiting-focused staff after deep Stoopsian slumber. A&M has new coach shine with NFL style passing game bona fides and a FSU recruiting model. If the locker room blows up, so what? They're going to fire Jimbo during a ten year contract?  Texas just finished a year of historically bad offense on a 7-6 team. That means selling the Texas vision - via relationship building - is paramount.

Texas is one of the few (possibly only) non Air Raid teams that I know of that splits their WR coaching job between inside and outside wide receivers. That move was likely made to bolster a struggling staff member and shuffle staff with the addition of Herb Hand. Not to optimize recruiting. 

Resolution

Fortunately, the friendly recruiting grounds that I have pointed to out West have proven helpful. Abundant talent meets not many viable suitors. Come on down, Jake Smith. In my estimation, Arizona WR Jake Smith would sit inside the state of Texas elite tier WR group. North of the border, Demariyon Houston is a fine prospect in his own right, but Oklahoma bypassed him to go to Texas to get their three wide receivers. Texas still has a shot at big body wide receivers Elijah Higgins (who lives about 20 minutes from the stadium) or a riser like Jalen Curry from Houston St Pius. Further, there is talent outside of the Top 10 that can play at a high level if we eval correctly. Or we can reconfigure our efforts and try to win back some elite tier losses. 

Parting thought...

When Texas wants to eat at a position group and is left waiting for others to finish their second trip through the buffet line, it should make Tom Herman ask some questions. About approach, about staff designation, about the failure to resonate with some prospects close to home who are classic "Texas kids." Why is Texas salvaging a wide receiver class with out of state prospects and in-state depth when they should be selectively dining on their first choices from both?

5 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Giles’s inability to recruit is overblown.  I’ve forgotten how good Texas used to be and I was there from 2006-2010.  We need to win and that is the bottom line.  Kids go to Bama to sit on the bench because they win.

I love when people use Bamba as a reference. We are not Bama. What Bama has done the last decade is unprecedented. Maybe we get somewhat close but never those heights.

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They have 10 more commits than us and a lower average ranking. They've won some battles, but you're getting swept up in the rollercoaster hype.

So everything's fine and all we have to do is wait for aggy to aggy? It's not just about A&M. I don't remember us ever taking this many kicks to the groin in a single cycle. 2017 sucked, but we knew it would be tough after going 5-7 and firing our coach. This year we're just getting punked.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 7

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Ah, yes. The masters of shit talk who have never won anything. Don't they run this state or something? I remember hearing that somewhere.

DSCF0306.JPG

And Figurelli: did that snaggle-toothed bitch ever get his teeth fixed or is he still chewing on asphalt?

Don’t forget about the big nose!

• Like 1

So everything's fine and all we have to do is wait for aggy to aggy? It's not just about A&M. I don't remember us ever taking this many kicks to the groin in a single cycle. 2017 sucked, but we knew it would be tough after going 5-7 and firing our coach. This year we're just getting punked.
Decommit season hasn't even started yet, once aggy starts laying eggs on the field, (or "anonymous" envelopes don't show up in mailboxes on time) and reality sets in about what they're committing to, some of those aggy commits will have buyers remorse.

22 minutes ago, TXpride said:

I think we can all say there's problems to be fixed, but there's a big ole difference between that and "getting our asses kicked". This is a salty class that's gliding along to a top 10 finish unless we really bomb the season.

The only position that's actually a bit worrisome is DL, where Giles is going to have to do a lot of coaching 'em up if he wants to keep his job. Mehringer's shit the bed but Beck and Whittington's brother have bailed him out to some extent.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think we can all say there's problems to be fixed, but there's a big ole difference between that and "getting our asses kicked". This is a salty class that's gliding along to a top 10 finish unless we really bomb the season.

The only position that's actually a bit worrisome is DL, where Giles is going to have to do a lot of coaching 'em up if he wants to keep his job. Mehringer's shit the bed but Beck and Whittington's brother have bailed him out to some extent.

I don't know why you're trying to engage a guy with 6 posts. Txpride is almost certianly an aggy troll. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, TXpride said:

It's impressive you were able to remember all the way back to 2 years ago when things were worse. "I can't remember the last time I ate today, well except for lunch 3 hours ago."

19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mehringer has been terrible at everything he's done. Giles is a competent coach, at least. Beck being a shitty coach has a larger multiplier because he's a coordinator, but at least he's recruited well at one of the most important positions in the sport and given us access to Arizona. It's been curiously quiet on the Warehime front this offseason, but we haven't seen what he's done with the current TEs yet, and it's hard to find fault with the TE class we're going to bring in this cycle.

There's no excuse for Mehringer, though.

Your criticism of Giles is based on recruiting but "Mehringer has been terrible at everything he's done" makes little to no sense. 

Yes, Mehringer has missed on some targets. 

But he's helped land the #81 composite, #96 composite, #104 composite, #42 composite, #82 composite, and #174 composite WRs so far in 2 classes. Some of you get entirely too worked up over misses and don't look at the big picture. Mehringer is landing quality commits/signees. I would certainly wait to see how this class plays out before saying "Mehringher has been terrible at everything he's done" because another decently ranked WR commit and he's probably going to be the top recruiter in the Big 12 per 247. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

It's impressive you were able to remember all the way back to 2 years ago when things were worse. "I can't remember the last time I ate today, well except for lunch 3 hours ago."

Maybe you don't remember, but 2017 was a transition class. Little and Chaison were the only ones that really stung. Most of the other guys weren't even considering us. This year we've lost Nana, Bragg, Wilson, Leal and Wright, all guys who were considered Texas leans at one point.

• Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

But he's helped land the #81 composite, #96 composite, #104 composite, #42 composite, #82 composite, and #174 composite WRs so far in 2 classes. Some of you get entirely too worked up over misses and don't look at the big picture. Mehringer is landing quality commits/signees. I would certainly wait to see how this class plays out before saying "Mehringher has been terrible at everything he's done" because another decently ranked WR commit and he's probably going to be the top recruiter in the Big 12 per 247. 

You know how I know you haven't been following the last two cycles closely?

I posted on this very thread months ago that Mehringer had very little to do with the likes of Jake Smith, knowing that someone like you would make this comment. Whittington was a Texas fan; we would have had to majorly fuck it up not to land him.

Woodard was coming with his Lamar bros.

Josh Moore was a legacy who liked Texas going back to the Strong days.

Eagles might be legit, I don't know enough about that recruitment.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You know how I know you haven't been following the last two cycles closely?

I've been following. I just know any commit that Giles or Mehringer help land they won't get any credit for. That's how this board goes. 

It's Giles all over again. Last year the same posters shit on his recruiting and then when he helped close on a good class it was "all Carrington". 

Same thing will happen with Mehringer. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I've been following. I just know any commit that Giles or Mehringer help land they won't get any credit for. That's how this board goes. 

It's Giles all over again. Last year the same posters shit on his recruiting and then when he helped close on a good class it was "all Carrington". 

Same thing will happen with Mehringer. 

We'll get good WRs because of who we are. Winning games will help, even with subpar position recruiters.

If we manage to flip Wilson, I'll reevaluate.

17 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Maybe you don't remember, but 2017 was a transition class. Little and Chaison were the only ones that really stung. Most of the other guys weren't even considering us. This year we've lost Nana, Bragg, Wilson, Leal and Wright, all guys who were considered Texas leans at one point.

*sigh* you're probably a troll, but that's two Giles recruits (including a lifelong ND fan from a devout Catholic family), two Mehringer recruits (one of whom is from Columbus), and the annual Stanford miss that we're really only going to be able to get over by winning enough to counterbalance the education angle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Dude, you obviously know your stuff. The 2017 in-state class definitely wasn't stacked at positions of need. Nope. Didn't sting at all.

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Preach it brother. I don't understand how these keyboard jockeys can sit here and criticize the coaches when they don't even know what is going on behind the scenes. Let the coaches do their jobs, they know what they are doing or otherwise they wouldn't be here. Everyone needs to just calm down and trust the coaches. 

Sometimes your sock is just too good. +rep

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Preach it brother. I don't understand how these keyboard jockeys can sit here and criticize the coaches when they don't even know what is going on behind the scenes. Let the coaches do their jobs, they know what they are doing or otherwise they wouldn't be here. Everyone needs to just calm down and trust the coaches. 

Mehringer's coaching/development ability are still in question. Last year there were obviously some issues but I'll wait and see how this year goes. 

Questioning Mehringer's recruiting ability seems odd to me. Yes, he's missed on targets but some are so entrenched in their narratives about Mehringer and Giles sucking that they can't step back and look at the big picture. 

So far (in 2 classes) our lowest ranked WR commit is #172 in the composite rankings. We have 4 or 5 composite 100 WR commits/signees. If you think this "sucks" I'm not sure what to tell you. On average per recruit, we're recruiting as well as anybody at WR. Again, there's obviously been some misses. 

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Mehringer's coaching/development ability are still in question. Last year there were obviously some issues but I'll wait and see how this year goes. 

Questioning Mehringer's recruiting ability seems odd to me. Yes, he's missed on targets but some are so entrenched in their narratives about Mehringer and Giles sucking that they can't step back and look at the big picture. 

So far (in 2 classes) our lowest ranked WR commit is #172 in the composite rankings. We have 4 or 5 composite 100 WR commits/signees. If you think this "sucks" I'm not sure what to tell you. On average per recruit, we're recruiting as well as anybody at WR. Again, there's obviously been some misses. 

The most plugged in poster on this board has straight up told you (royal you) that Mehringer flubbed multiple major recruitments and gets more credit than he actually earned in the wins.

Even the 9.95ers, who are usually loathe to criticize coaches (except for guys with an axe to grind like Chip Brown), are all but saying Mehringer is underperforming.

If you are going to ignore all of this evidence and claim that we need more data, then that's willful ignorance on your part.

• Like 2