Texas recruiting notes 2019

Good evening to everyone who isn't a pussy sooner or an aggy in general. Also fuck off to those who think the sky is falling. It's not. We still have work to do, but this victory just showed them they can and will win.  Fuck TCU (their cheerleaders literally), fuck OU, and fuck anyone else in our way to the playoffs.

God I love drinking.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball picks in for Texas

Hide contents

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick in for four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah today. Texas made a huge impression on him this weekend, and he made it a point to tell me that the crowd at UT was louder than the crowd at Oklahoma — he absolutely loved the atmosphere. He also has a strong relationship with defensive line coach Oscar Giles, who has been recruiting him hard since the spring. Arkansas and OU remain big threats, but Texas is in a great spot coming off the win.

— I also put in a new Crystal Ball pick for four-star 2020 Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. He has visited UT on multiple occasions over the last several months, and the Longhorns seem to be separating themselves early on. If Texas keeps winning, I could see them closing with Broughton down the line. This visit was a big step in the right direction. SEC schools Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M as well as Oklahoma are others to watch in this recruitment.

— I recently switched my Crystal Ball from Texas to Texas A&M for four-star 2020 Cibolo Steele defensive back Jaylon Jones. There was some buzz that Jones was close to committing to the Aggies after visiting for the Clemson game, and it appeared they garnered all the momentum in his recruitment. But Texas really turned the tide this weekend. Jason Washington sold the program to Jones and his family this weekend and has been one of the staff’s most effective recruiters. As long as Texas keeps winning, Washington and the Longhorns should be able to fend off A&M. 

— As I mentioned this morning, Texas is surging with four-star St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) wide receiver Marcus Washington and now appears to be in the pole position in this recruitment. Missouri and Florida are the other schools involved, but it appears that Missouri has lost steam in this one. We also checked in with a source close to the Florida program that told us the Gators don’t feel like they are major players at this time. Texas just needs to close here.

Uh, this is the ‘19 thread.

We need a lot to happen for us to land either of them, let alone both.  USC will tank this season, but Bru has said that this season results won't affect his decision.  Dude's best friend is JT Daniels.  I'd put it at 5% chance we land him.  If we win the Big 12 and USC tanks, then maybe 20%.

Actually feel better about Sanders.  Bama is loaded with RBs.  If we can show we run the ball and win 9 games, I think we can pull it off.  Just need to sell to him that it's better in his interest to start here day 1 than to ride the pine behind all of Bama's 5 star RBs.  Take him out to 6th and the lake and show him he'd be a celebrity here in Austin living the life... and then match the money bag bama has sent his dad.  Still a long shot. 

9.95ers are just looking for clicks with these posts.

Edited by victory88

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, guys setting themselves up for disappointment with Bru.  

I know this much, @TrojanPrincess says that USC players and fans are in love with Clay Helton and what he’s bringing to the program. Recruits are said to be totally vibing with him, so I’m sure Bru McCoy is going to remain super enthusiastic about playing for him there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a 3 star SDE from Westlake named David Neil who looks suspiciously like Dan Neil. Any chance we pursue him as a preferred walk-on like we did Blake Brockermeyer’s son last year? Some of these guys are bound to be under-the-radar finds who can get meaningful reps.  If Dave is half as mean as Dan, I’d like to have him. 

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

There is a 3 star SDE from Westlake named David Neil who looks suspiciously like Dan Neil. Any chance we pursue him as a preferred walk-on like we did Blake Brockermeyer’s son last year? Some of these guys are bound to be under-the-radar finds who can get meaningful reps.  If Dave is half as mean as Dan, I’d like to have him. 

It's Dan Neil's son. Dan Neil wrote an article about their junior day visit to UT on 247 a while back. 

3 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Bru and Trey playing us emoji53.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, guys setting themselves up for disappointment with Bru.  

Nobody enjoy even a moment of recruiting until signing day! Remember how much you started hating Christmas as a child because you didn't get everything you asked for? It's like that. Christmas expectations bad. Recruiting expectations bad.

BAD!

The tweet suggests merely that this could happen which is a fun prospect. I won't die if they go somewhere else. This is just fun to think about.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know this much, @TrojanPrincess says that USC players and fans are in love with Clay Helton and what he’s bringing to the program. Recruits are said to be totally vibing with him, so I’m sure Bru McCoy is going to remain super enthusiastic about playing for him there. 

That doesn't really jibe with the grumbling we heard after last Saturday. Maybe that's just a post-game funk because of how poorly they played, but it seems to me that there are a lot of folk in that program who are not happy with Helton's strategic thinking. And based on the fact that they got outcoached by this particular Texas staff suggests to me that they would be correct in that thinking.

Not that I'm not happy with the win, of course, nor that I would continue to be dismissive of this staff if they somehow pulled Bru out of California. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at neither program, because Helton's a sinking ship, even if he doesn't know it yet.

24 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:
4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That doesn't really jibe with the grumbling we heard after last Saturday.

#sarcasm, bro.

Telling us we're setting ourselves up for disappointment has no place in this thread. If you're not here for the manic swings and fun, then you're taking it all to seriously. We are discussing the whims of high school kids that are going to play amateur football for our school. We're not talking about investing our retirement savings or buying property.

• Like 4

Spoiler

EJ: I quickly exchanged messages with North Forest HC Clifton Terrell, and he confirmed to me that Texas commit Javonne Shepherd is not on the team at this time due to behavior issues. This is why he's going to be able to visit A&M on Oct. 6 — the sam day North Forest takes on Navasota. I don't think I will be able to provide more details at this time, but this is certainly a situation to monitor.

22 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

EJ: I quickly exchanged messages with North Forest HC Clifton Terrell, and he confirmed to me that Texas commit Javonne Shepherd is not on the team at this time due to behavior issues. This is why he's going to be able to visit A&M on Oct. 6 — the sam day North Forest takes on Navasota. I don't think I will be able to provide more details at this time, but this is certainly a situation to monitor.

Probably wont take long to get out what actually happened.

24 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

What's the likelihood we can get in on Andrew Coker?  If not him, any other realistic options percolating?

The aggie "never go to class, have your tutor do it" is a big selling point to a lot of kids.

Coker and a couple of the kids going to okiepoke we're evaluating would be nice.

Edited by Goodman