Texas recruiting notes 2019

Owens may end up rated higher than Cine anyways if the other 2 services give him a ratings bump like 247 did.  I wouldn't hold my breath with Rivals, but I think Gerry Hamilton could put him high in the ESPN 300 after watching his Sr. film when they do a ratings update.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

It was hyperbole.... mostly.
Since he was doing really well for the Ravens until he got injured, I'll have to disagree on that. If he had come back this year there's no guarantee he'd have all the picks he had last season, but he'd be a better overall player and likely bumps his draft round up..

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
47 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Since he was doing really well for the Ravens until he got injured, I'll have to disagree on that. If he had come back this year there's no guarantee he'd have all the picks he had last season, but he'd be a better overall player and likely bumps his draft round up..

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally

24 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Or he gets a season ending injury and doesn't get drafted at all...

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
11 minutes ago, rickyspub said:
Or he gets a season ending injury and doesn't get drafted at all...

It's all a gamble either way, but staying on he at least has a chance to graduate.

He can come back and get that degree any time he wants, we’ve had numerous players follow this path over the years. 

He can come back and get that degree any time he wants, we’ve had numerous players follow this path over the years. 

I not arguing he should or shouldn't have come back, just refuting the notion he'd be riding the bench if he did come back. Sterns likely doesn't get to display what he's got quite as much with Elliott still on the team.

IT/Nahlin: Revisiting an offensive recruiting post from July

Spoiler

Post was made originally on July 5th, instead of red text I used Italics and *** to note new commentary

///

The Texas offense may not have improved at the rate some might have liked, and to be sure it still has its struggles, but it's hard not to notice real improvement over last year. With the last two weeks resulting in high publicity victories at home, recruiting momentum is within the staff's grasp. With that in mind I wanted to update this post from July 5th. New commentary is in red.

Negative pitches often center around a school's recent negative history at a given position or positions. In UT's case, it's pretty much been the offensive side of the ball for years now. Working under the assumption Texas wins this year and is in contention for the conference title going into the final weekend, some negative pitches and histories will have been put to rest.

A thought I've had since Tom Herman was hired was that his offense, while maybe not as sexy as typical wide open Big 12 offenses, can sell virtually every position on the field as being integral. The division of labor is pretty equal. Everyone has their share of non-glamorous assignments, everyone has their chance to be a difference maker.

If this season comes together, it will mean individual play across the board played to its talent. Positions that haven't consistently produced in years will be restored to prominence. The "we're going to win big" pitch expands to "we're going to win big and you're going to play a big part."

Herman has shown us he's capable of putting a full-bodied offense together, but he hasn't shown us he's capable of this at Texas, at least yet (first season being injury filled caveat applies). He did provide the template, however.

Let's look at how this season's success -- assuming 9 or more wins before the bowl game -- can be sold to recruits with a position by position breakdown.

I'll start with wide receiver.

"Yo, you're starting with wide receiver when you constantly say it's the most reliant on the rest of the offense?"

Indeed, because if the wide receivers have a big year in this offense (as opposed to an Air Raid where they're plug and play), to me it means the offensive line is blocking, the quarterbacks are playing well, and the run game is producing. Oh, and there's probably some good coordination too.

XWR: You're wanting a big target receiver who can dominate a corner in 1 on 1 coverage. Elite speed is a plus, as it always is, but not a requirement. Collin Johnson should be ideal for the position. To understand his talent level, he had 54 receptions for 765 yards in what is considered a pretty disappointing sophomore campaign. At 6-foot-6, and with ball skills that are on par with the best in the NFL, only two touchdowns is very disappointing. Stats like that can reverse in a hurry, and if Johnson plays to his physical capability he should be in line for a breakout season.

The sell: Collin Johnson. An SC top 10 play or two this season won't hurt. He's one player they shouldn't shy away from throwing 50/50 balls.

***His diving catch last Saturday was about as good as you'll see all year and is a nice attention getter.

A good season helps with: Dylan Wright, Elijah Higgins

***A good season is helping with Marcus Washington. CJ is off to a good start with back-to-back quality games versus USC and TCU. He already has as many touchdowns as he did last year when he inexplicably scored one for every 27 receptions. He and LJH have a mutually beneficial relationship, and the credible, but not great run-game, is helping as well.

***This is also the position Bru McCoy would profile to. Texas is relatively thin at X. He has a scholarship offer as long as he wants one, in large part because of his difference making upside at linebacker.

***2020 stalwart Demond Demas has been on campus in consecutive weeks and likes what he's seen.

Slot: Versatility and short area quickness are hallmarks. Toughness helps as well. Texas has loaded up here with Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington. Herman's offense uses the slot as both a primary and secondary weapon on jet sweeps. This position traditionally produces for Herman, so it's no wonder he has two electric talents already in the fold. Here's where things get interesting: at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Lil'Jordan Humphrey is entirely uncommon in that he has the fluidity to not just play the position but star in it. Because of how easy it will be to get him the ball, he'll likely be Sam Ehlinger's most targeted man.

The sell: Lil'Jordan Humphrey and his absurd combination of size and movement skills allows for a clear picture of how this position can be used.

A good season helps with: Higgins, who has uncommon fluidity for his body type, as well as strong ball skills. Like Humphrey, he can play X or slot which is pretty rare.

***At this point Higgins is likely going out-of-state but Texas needs numbers and will stay on him. He could play X or even be the big slot we've seen LJH become -- at least you sell it that way. Lil'Jordan is having the type of season we figured he'd have. He's just a very tough matchup. Not many schools can sell Higgins both inside and outside as credibly as Texas without one of the players being a tight end.

***Jake Smith can't arrive fast enough. The one piece missing from the Herman offense we've seen in the past is the hyper-explosive slot receiver who can also feature on jet sweeps. He'll put the 'spread' in the pro-style spread offense. Josh Moore has shown promise at the position and his role will continue to expand as the coaches look to find receivers to relieve the stress off CJ and LJH.

ZWR: You must be explosive and either good enough to command safety help over the top or win your share of deep opportunities in man coverage. This position was basically non-existent last year but the position was addressed with Al'vonte Woodard and Josh Moore in the 2018 class. More importantly for the upcoming season, Devin Duvernay had a big spring. This position will be the third most targeted receiving threat on the field but it could become the most feared from a big-play standpoint.

The sell: Duvernay is the sell if he has a big season as judged by yards per catch/touchdowns. If he doesn't produce then you resort to need/early playing time as your selling point.

A good season helps with: Marcus Washington. You could maybe throw Garrett Wilson in there as I don't think that door is entirely closed. Most importantly, though, is Texas must split aces with Ohio State on Washington and Wilson. Also, Dylan Wright is explosive enough to play Z, which adds to his priority level. Texas also has offers out to others, though we don't feel they're priorities as of now.

***I had previously seen Washington as the Z but now I see him more as an X. He's not exactly a burner but could become a good route runner who uses his length and ball skills to become a go-to in the boundary. At Z you want more explosiveness to draw safety attention.

***Duvernay's played well but it has yet to really resonate on the stat sheet. He's smart, crafty, and needs more targets. As the offense settles into its identity and the staff better understands how to counter defensive looks I suspect his production will increase.

***Texas has a commitment from Demariyon Houston at the position, and along with the red-shirting Al'vonte Woodard, he offers the position promise down the road. He has the twitch and speed demanded of Z and he's pretty natural adjusting to the ball.

***Ehlinger has improved pretty noticeably, but because the Z is on the outside hash it isn't always the easiest throw. This position might not be fully weaponized until the Cam Rising era begins down the road, though production will increase as the rest of the offense continues to evolve and coalesce.

TE: Toughness and willingness to block plus enough athleticism to receive and line up out wide are hallmarks. We witnessed a staff that was very stubborn in its use of a depleted position last year. They effectively stated, "this is who we are and we're not changing."

While Cotton might think that's a bold move, it gave us keen insight into how important the position is to Herman's preferred offense. Also giving us keen insight; Herman has been on the job less than two years but has already added six tight ends if you count commits Brayden Liebrock and Jared Wiley.

The sell: They literally use tight end like NFL.

A good season helps with: Every offensive skill player as the tight end is a chess piece in the run game and allows for more balanced and creative play-calling. Texas is booked for this class but any success should help with 2020 targets.

***Texas was finished at the position before the season started but Liebrock and Wiley have to be even more excited about their decisions. Beck and Brewer haven't set the world on fire but the opportunity as a receiver is clearly there and Beck has made some big first down conversions already while also leaving us wondering what a better athlete might do with those opportunities. He's good over the middle but not a seam stretcher like the two commits.

***This is a very attractive offense for any tight end who wants to become well-rounded. Hard work will be rewarded with targets and the opportunity to showcase athleticism in the passing game.

OL: The staff is looking for size and tackle-first players. Guards are likely to come from a pool of players who couldn't quite cut it at tackle but still have tackle size and are above average athletes for the interior. When Connor Williams was lost for most of last season, it didn't just hurt the on-field product. Finally, Texas had not only a well-regarded offensive lineman, but a left tackle to promote. As we all know, Williams wasn't the only injury last season, and overall the offensive line played poorly. But there's always a silver lining and that's the hiring of Herb Hand. For this season, the o-line just needs to be average to allow for players with plus ability to do their thing. First and foremost, Texas needs to be able to reliably run inside zone. Baby steps.

The sell: Improvement, the chance to come in and play relatively early, needs across the board, and the chance to learn from the highly-regarded Hand. Calvin Anderson having an All Conference type season wouldn't hurt, either.

A good season helps with: Javonne Shepherd, Stacey Wilkins, and whoever else emerges as a priority

***Shepherd is committed to Texas and Wilkins surprised no one when he chose OU.

***The staff has been eerily patient with offensive line offers, but, good news: the 0-line has improved fairly dramatically and Calvin Anderson is having a good season. Having grad transfers experience success is a selling point that will ease the fear future grad transfers might have regarding an "outsider" getting a real opportunity. Texas can also sell Juco players by using Anderson as an example. Expect the staff to land at least one upper-classmen in this recruiting cycle or the grad transfer market next spring.

***As for high school recruiting the attitude is to continue to evaluate, quietly build relationships, and reconfigure the big board. How this class finishes out is anyone's guess.

RB: Texas wants talented running backs, with room enough for all different types. You can be an inside/outside guy (Daniel Young), an outside/inside guy (Toneil Carter), or a do-it-all in Keonatay Ingram. They'll also take an explosive type who lines up all over the field, including running back. With the emphasis on inside zone, Young will be the primary ball carrier to start. Carter will get as many touches as he earns. He's the most dynamic player at the position. Along with the aforementioned Ingram, Texas also has grad transfer Tre Watson from Cal Burka-Lee, who is pretty versatile. One way to keep the grad transfer pipeline open is to ensure your grad transfers experience success. I expect Watson to get his touches.

The sell: Young is talented enough to illustrate usage and priority, but not so talented he'd scare away top recruits. Carter can underline how big play ability will be rewarded. Both ran well last year despite the poor offensive line. The Big 12 is known as a passing league but Herman is going to be very balanced. Running all over a league designed to stop the pass should be appealing. Then there's Stan Drayton's track record.

A good season helps with: Noah Cain (fantastic IZ runner), Trey Sanders, Deondrick Glass

***As August wore on it became apparent that Young was going to be challenged for his carries by Watson and Ingram. It also became apparent that Carter was going to be pushed down the depth chart. That should come as no surprise to anyone.

***Overall the running game is improved. It's good enough to where it can set the tempo and doesn't need to be abandoned early, but not so good that it dictates games -- at least not yet.

***Watson's departure after this year is a great selling point for immediate carries. Ingram and Young aren't going anywhere -- and Ingram is much better than anyone the staff will likely land in this cycle -- but the opportunity for early playing time is there.

***A few weeks after I wrote the original op, Derrian Brown truly became known as a viable option. He committed recently and he presents and interesting option. He's a slasher who can run inside, has enough step to get outside, and is a good receiver out of the backfield. I could see him getting carries as a true freshman.

***After seeing Glass against a very aggressive and fast North Shore defense I became a bigger fan. He's sort of like Iowa State's David Montgomery in that he's hard to hit square, moves well laterally with good balance, and is always turning and twisting for tough yards.

***Texas wants two running backs because there is some dead weight on the roster.

QB: Herman will gladly take a pass-first quarterback with some athleticism, or a guy who's known better for his legs, and then adapt from there. You better be able to run competently if you're a good passer, and you better be able to pass competently if you're a good runner. Sam Ehlinger is a more consistent runner than he is a passer, though he has the ability to make the required throws. As we know with him, he's more an intangible guy who is a great leader and highly competitive. Those traits are musts for Herman as well. For this class Texas has Roschon Johnson committed. He projects as a more dangerous runner than passer, though he's capable of operating Herman's preferred offense with tailoring being geared towards strengths rather than away from weaknesses.

The sell: There are both college and NFL elements to this offense. It's balanced, it uses the entire scope of skill players, it's multi-formational, it can lean on defenses or hit the big play, and it's going to eat clock. It can easily be tailored to a player's strengths, and if recruiting continues to go well, a quarterback will have a parapet in front of him that allows time to use his weapons.

A good season helps with: Every single player Texas is recruiting because the position has the ability to elevate the team.

***Along with a much more varied run game we're seeing a much more varied passing game. Ehlinger has obviously improved as a passer which is a testament to him and also the coaching he's receiving. He's making more checks and generally has a much better understanding of the passing game. We've seen him take more sacks -- perhaps he's feeling a little too comfortable in the pocket -- but he's also finding receivers he never would have last year.

***Assuming his improvement continues he'll make for a good story to sell on the recruiting trail, though with Roschon Johnson committed in 2019 and Hudson Card in 2020, I'm not sure the staff needs any more help. The staff will look to take two in 2020 and can afford to be patient, though by the time Card's junior season is over I'm not sure other quarterbacks will be in a hurry to join him.

There are two primary selling points: early playing time or a history of success at a given position. When those two overlap you shouldn't have to move too far down your big board to sign players.

Herman has done well to recruit off previous successes or needs and fits, but let's hope come November/December he's recruiting based on current ones.

***Indeed, I believe we're seeing the foundation of long-term offensive efficiency being laid. If you don't operate an offense that recruits itself thanks to a reputation of piling up yards and points, maximizing individual player's opportunities becomes a necessary selling point.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If he's smart, he'll go to Brown.

He doesn't look like he'd play a lot of snaps on a Power 5 team.

I get it, I get Texas is a dream school for a ton of people.

BUT when your options are a full scholarship to Brown, an opportunity at Air Force (assuming he gets in, etc) or a PWO offer at Texas one of those should be so far behind the others it isn't even in the final discussion - this is the case even if you come from old money. A (free) degree from Brown or graduating as an AF officer is pretty pretty great.

That said, glad to see us splashing around some of these PWO offers - there is basically zero downside to it, makes coaches/schools/parents happy and the program gets a (free) lottery ticket out of it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

I get it, I get Texas is a dream school for a ton of people.

BUT when your options are a full scholarship to Brown, an opportunity at Air Force (assuming he gets in, etc) or a PWO offer at Texas one of those should be so far behind the others it isn't even in the final discussion - this is the case even if you come from old money. A (free) degree from Brown or graduating as an AF officer is pretty pretty great.

That said, glad to see us splashing around some of these PWO offers - there is basically zero downside to it, makes coaches/schools/parents happy and the program gets a (free) lottery ticket out of it.

The Ivies don't give athletic scholarships (though if it's going to be a problem you've probably qualified for plenty of regular need-based aid) and the academies require a heavy engineering courseload before you specialize in your major. That plus some kids want to stay close to home.

There's decent reasons to take the PWO track.

5 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

The fong was on ej's pod recently and said Higgins is most likely going to Stanford. We def need an upgrade in WR recruiting. lost top 2 targets and now Higgins.

Losing Wilson sucks and Mehringer is certainly out after this year but Smith, Washington, Houston, and Whittington is salty as hellllllllll

19 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

The fong was on ej's pod recently and said Higgins is most likely going to Stanford. We def need an upgrade in WR recruiting. lost top 2 targets and now Higgins.

I think we probably might need that upgrade at WR recruiting also, but I'm wondering what all a WR coach/'crooter can do when a kid gets accepted into Stanford, when him and his mom become convinced he'll somehow get a better coaching job some day because he went to such a prestigious school vs. such an other prestigious school. Plus, they do actually develop these kids well for the pros. 

52 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think we probably might need that upgrade at WR recruiting also, but I'm wondering what all a WR coach/'crooter can do when a kid gets accepted into Stanford, when him and his mom become convinced he'll somehow get a better coaching job some day because he went to such a prestigious school vs. such an other prestigious school. Plus, they do actually develop these kids well for the pros. 

Yeah Arcega-Whiteside is a terrific comp for him this year as a big WR.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Ivies don't give athletic scholarships (though if it's going to be a problem you've probably qualified for plenty of regular need-based aid) and the academies require a heavy engineering courseload before you specialize in your major. That plus some kids want to stay close to home.

There's decent reasons to take the PWO track.

Can't speak for all of the ivies but my cousin went to Brown specifically and they literally have zero course requirements. As long as she completed a certain number of credits in her 8 semesters there, she graduated. 

2 minutes ago, texasfightfightfight said:

Can't speak for all of the ivies but my cousin went to Brown specifically and they literally have zero course requirements. As long as she completed a certain number of credits in her 8 semesters there, she graduated.  

That's Brown's thing. They're the artsy one (though still quite a good school, obviously).

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I was offered an academic scholarship to cover tuition to study engineering at Cornell and went to Texas. I don't regret that decision. Tons of factors go into every individual decision.

My wife went there for undergrad and after visiting that campus I do not know how anyone walks to class in the winter. You chose, wisely. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I was offered an academic scholarship to cover tuition to study engineering at Cornell and went to Texas. I don't regret that decision. Tons of factors go into every individual decision.

Definitely made the right decision. Engineering at Texas is a little better than at Cornell and you're in a much better place.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

I turned down an academic full ride at Florida State to come to Texas w/o a scholarship. As we all know, anm's  cuck coach once won a natty at FSU and anm is now widely known in the bumfuck parts of Texas as the Harvard of Central Brazos County.  So basically, I turned down a free ride at Harvard to come to Texas.  #hookem

18 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

No. It's the North Baltimore geography thread.  If you want to talk about college applications and scholarships, you'll need to start your own thread. 

Patrick Hudson, of Silsbee, Texas, is the most important DC-area recruit we've had in the last 25 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

And now look at yourself.  Posting on Surly regarding the whims of teenagers with the rest of us

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

While we’re on the topic of bragging about individual achievement, I turned down full rides from A&M and OU 2 years ago to come to Texas because I was raised right. Ivies never offer merit based, so if he’s a true longhorn he may take that PWO offer.

Edited by dilloncp98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Winslow said:

my brother ricky had a scholarship offer from USC pending a 700 on his sats. on the day after he took the test we went to the store through the back alley when a red car pulled up on us they rolled down their window & shot ricky twice the first shot hit him in the leg while the second shot went through his chest. later that night my brothers' scores came in he scored a  710  he would've been accepted into college 

Very well done. Bravo.

• Like 1