Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, maybe not if we actually wanted to start recruiting the 2020 kids. Like any of them. 

The two best are probably Broughton and Collins, who Giles finally got around to offering. Not sure what the hell is going on with Sylvester, his recent tweet seemed to signal that he actually does have an unreported offer. Branard sucks and isn't a take. Dorbah seems to be a Texas kid. Probably missed the boat on Alec Bryant. 

10 hours ago, Fud said:

Sweat and Mpagi are looking like great takes, and 2020 appears to be loaded on the DL, so there's not much reason to reach at this point 

We should still go for at least one more 2019 kid. Nelson, Omenihu, Hager leave after this year (I think Chisholm might as well). 2019 looked loaded at DL too, but going 0/4 with Leal, Stripling, NaNa, and Mowry set us back early.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We should still go for at least one more 2019 kid. Nelson, Omenihu, Hager leave after this year (I think Chisholm might as well). 2019 looked loaded at DL too, but going 0/4 with Leal, Stripling, NaNa, and Mowry set us back early.

I agree that we need one more, but we can afford to wait and see who else pops up 

Leal is the big miss. Mpagi and Sweat belong in the discussion with the rest. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They’re trying to redshirt Chisholm, from what I understand. I still believe they need another guy in this cycle, although I don’t care if it’s a “who dat” when we first hear about it. 

Apparently the early returns on the DL class including Coburn and Ojomo are fucking great. I don’t trust Giles for shit, but this staff looks like they can evaluate with anyone. 

• Like 4

I was sitting with a 4 star recruit, Katy Taylor recruit Braeden Mowry's, mom this past Saturday.  Seven Lakes v Tompkins game...

She mentioned he was a hard commit to Jimbo and the Ags... she said she loved OU but Braeden was firm. I asked her about the UT trip he took and she said they had hummers, flashy cars lots to loud music.... etc... fwiw not implying these were players cars. I wasn't sure what she was referring to. Can anyone explain?

She basically said they didnt like that. She also said he never got to talk to Herman. He only had conversations with position coaches. Anyway, my contribution to the recruiting thread.

Oh and Alabama was still calling

st

Anybody in DFW seen this guy play? What are your thoughts?
https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Wilson-46040252/
I'm in DFW and know Argyle consistently has one of the better 4A programs in the state the past decade or so, don't know anything about this kid though.

Having said that, if Okie Lite wants him we probably should as well.

E.J. Holland: Four-star JUCO DE/OLB Kuony Deng talks Texas offer

Texas is still on the prowl for some immediate help up front. So it’s no surprise the Longhorns recently put an offer on the table for four-star defensive end/outside linebacker Kuony Deng. “I was excited to pick up the Texas offer,” Deng said. “It's a great school and a program that's got a lot of winning in its history.” Along with Texas, Deng has offers in hand from Colorado, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, UCLA and others.

The Independence C.C. made an unofficial visit to Texas over the summer and didn’t rule out make a return trip for an OV before the end of the season. “Possibly,” Deng said. “I took an unofficial this summer, so I'm not for sure since I been out there before.” Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been working on Deng for several months, and the two are building a solid relationship. “Coach Giles first started recruiting me in the spring, so there's some familiarity there,” Deng said. “They've just been trying to show me why Texas is such a good place to be.”

Deng made official visits to both Texas A&M and UCLA last month. Virginia Tech is considered to be the overall frontrunner in his recruitment. Deng, who has two years of eligibility remaining, is looking to make a commitment in November. At 6-foot-6, 235 pounds, Deng is ranked as the No. 1 outside linebacker and No. 9 overall junior college prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Damnit.  How are we ever gonna recruit against that cool mfer?

Okie cool is tough to beat.  He kills at the Wormy Dog and the Weed.  Racetrack dance floor, darts and a mechanical bull, man Gundy is the shiit.

Edited by jdhorn92

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star JUCO DE/OLB Kuony Deng talks Texas offer

Reveal hidden contents

Texas is still on the prowl for some immediate help up front. So it’s no surprise the Longhorns recently put an offer on the table for four-star defensive end/outside linebacker Kuony Deng. “I was excited to pick up the Texas offer,” Deng said. “It's a great school and a program that's got a lot of winning in its history.” Along with Texas, Deng has offers in hand from Colorado, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, UCLA and others.

The Independence C.C. made an unofficial visit to Texas over the summer and didn’t rule out make a return trip for an OV before the end of the season. “Possibly,” Deng said. “I took an unofficial this summer, so I'm not for sure since I been out there before.” Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been working on Deng for several months, and the two are building a solid relationship. “Coach Giles first started recruiting me in the spring, so there's some familiarity there,” Deng said. “They've just been trying to show me why Texas is such a good place to be.”

Deng made official visits to both Texas A&M and UCLA last month. Virginia Tech is considered to be the overall frontrunner in his recruitment. Deng, who has two years of eligibility remaining, is looking to make a commitment in November. At 6-foot-6, 235 pounds, Deng is ranked as the No. 1 outside linebacker and No. 9 overall junior college prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

I'm overwhelmed by the enthusiasm. Giles is clearly dominating that recruitment.

• Like 1

EJ after dark: DL recruiting nuggets

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick for Texas to land three-star 2020 defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen today. I will have more from Umanmielen tomorrow, but Texas has done a terrific job in this recruitment over the last several weeks — they hosted him for the Tulsa and USC games. My previous pick was Oklahoma, and the Sooners remain a huge threat. This one is going to be a tough battle, but the thing that stood out most from my conversation with Umanmielen was the fact that he said he has a stronger relationship with the Texas staff.

— I recently put in a Crystal Ball pick for four-star Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. The Longhorns really made an impact on his recent visit, and it seems like they have built some early momentum in this recruitment. While I feel very good about where Texas stands early on, I spoke to a source close to Broughton, who told me that Alabama was the biggest threat right now. The source added that he also like Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

— I had a story up on JUCO defensive end/outside linebacker Kuony Deng up earlier today. Shortly after publishing, I put in a Crystal Ball for Virginia Tech. Deng is originally from Virginia, and I’ve gotten the indication that he wants to be closer to his original home. Texas did talk to Deng on the phone last night, but it’s going to take getting him on campus for an OV and blowing him away to turn the tide in this one.

— Four-star Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Lewis Cine is set to make his announcement on Oct. 10, which is next Wednesday. Nothing has really changed on my end. Georgia did a great job on his official visit and made it clear that he is a priority this cycle. While Texas has made things interesting, I would be surprised if the Longhorns are able to steal him next week.