Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Like I said, it's recruitnik dorkery. However: 

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

The Buddha had some very keen insights into his adversaries.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have completely given up projecting and evaluating OL. I'm pretty sure watching Tray Allen's HS film and trying to reconcile it to his college career cured me of that fool's errand for good.

Look at the 4 and 5 star busts we stockpiled for years with disastrous results, only to finally field a competent line for the first time in a decade comprised of: a 2 star LT transfer from fucking Rice, a 3 star C who we snatched last minute from Kansas State (other offers: Army, ASU and Cincinatti), a 3 star G who was a Wickline special who's best offer was Colorado (other offers: Arkansas State, Arizona State and Fresno State), another 3 star T who looks like a future all conference player and was a late addition to Herman's transition class (offered by Memphis, Houston and TCU), and Patrick Vahe (the only 4 star of the bunch and arguably its weakest link). And the next best player we have on the Oline is Kerstetter, another 3 star who Herman pulled from Okie State with competing offers from juggernauts Bowling Green, Colorado State and Houston.

In the meantime, here are the 4 and 5 star OL we recruited between 2007 and 2016. This list is more stomach turning than Vic's POF thread:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

hyUPUM.gif

Mitch is sitting in the aisle seat.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have completely given up projecting and evaluating OL. I'm pretty sure watching Tray Allen's HS film and trying to reconcile it to his college career cured me of that fool's errand for good.

Look at the 4 and 5 star busts we stockpiled for years with disastrous results, only to finally field a competent line for the first time in a decade comprised of: a 2 star LT transfer from fucking Rice, a 3 star C who we snatched last minute from Kansas State (other offers: Army, ASU and Cincinatti), a 3 star G who was a Wickline special who's best offer was Colorado (other offers: Arkansas State, Arizona State and Fresno State), another 3 star T who looks like a future all conference player and was a late addition to Herman's transition class (offered by Memphis, Houston and TCU), and Patrick Vahe (the only 4 star of the bunch and arguably its weakest link). And the next best player we have on the Oline is Kerstetter, another 3 star who Herman pulled from Okie State with competing offers from juggernauts Bowling Green, Colorado State and Houston.

In the meantime, here are the 4 and 5 star OL we recruited between 2007 and 2016. This list is more stomach turning than Vic's POF thread:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

tenor.gif?itemid=5318042

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Treefidy said:

oh yeah.  But he will have such a good year he might as well be a SR because NFL.   Actually should have said McCulloch, because he will have a great SR season. 

I think he meant to say that Bimage will have a great senior season two years from now after also having a great junior season next year. 

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not so cynical to believe that ALL recruits got a bump if they committed to Texas from 2005-2015. But I do wholeheartedly believe that a great deal of that list was awarded 4*s only because they committed to Texas. It's the one unit where we fucking SUCKED at both evaluations and talent development for the better part of a decade, and no one could figure out why because we signed all these 4 and 5 stars. 

This. Many of them weren't 'real' four stars. Barton Simmons openly admitted a few years ago that the recruiting services would slap 4-star rankings on many of the prospects that got Texas offers at Mack's junior days.

"Under Mack Brown UT used to have their class primarily wrapped up by the previous February. They'd offer a bunch of kids, they'd get commitments without seeing them in camp or seeing any junior film and then when analysts would rate kids, even if we weren't all that fired up about him, how are you going to rank a kid low who Texas offered and committed when they had the pick of one of the best states in the country. I think unintentional bias would emerge some with Texas' classes. Too much respect was given to their evaluations and not enough back bone to go out on the ledge and say, this Texas junior that they got committed in February sucks."

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with everyone on Jones, including you. I'd like for him to stay and I think he'll make a mistake leaving early, but I don't blame him and I hope it works it. You also mentioned Elliot, and I'd just like to offer that I view his situation as different. He was a cancer within the program and he left because Herman wasn't Daddy Chuckles, and that made poor Elliot mad. He made a stupid choice, and then, he made an ass of himself in the summer time and ran Texas over in the process, in public. So fuck him. I don't cheer against him, but he's not someone I want to see associated with the program. I view his behavior and circumstance as night and day to Jones'. Just my 2 cents.

Any idea why Elliott is still allowed on Texas sidelines during games??  

Saw him on sidelines at BlowU & Baylor games....

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

An alternative, and this is pure recruitnik dorky shit, is that they're doing what they can to tear Fat Patty's regime apart root and branch. He's been a problem for Herman repeatedly on the trail, shit talking Texas, saying we don't put guys in the league anymore, that we can't win, and that we don't develop talent. Well, now that's pretty hard stuff for Patty to claim, and his team is coming apart at the seams. Perhaps Herman is touching as many targets associated to this 2019 class for TCU as he can, because he can. Bring as many in as possible, highlight trajectories, and make life a bitch for Patterson, so he's got more shit to deal with while Texas focuses on the future classes. It's absurd, but I think I'm going to live with that fantasy. Herman's crew definitely engaged with some of this during Fisher's first class, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. There is nothing to gain for Texas from having TCU be worth a shit. They're irrelevant to our value or goals.

I hope your alternative recruitnik dorky shit plan to tear Fat Patty's regime apart is reason for the Texas Staff showing Coker interest.

Keep Fatterson working on his crappy 2019 Class while HORNS are cleaning up on Recruits in 2020 Class.....

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think Herman's being diplomatic and understands optics enough to know that you don't hold grudges and if former players in the NFL want to come be on the sidelines, you welcome them on down to the sideline.

one page prior

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Herman’s trying to give him the benefit of the doubt or trying to mend fences. Maybe he knows Elliot is still poplular with a lot of current players.  Maybe Herman doesn’t want to give Elliot an excuse to go on Twitter and stir up shit. Maybe they’re cool now.  

Edited by Lhorn

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Coker is someone with potential who could excel under Yancy, but  I also think he is well worth any risk if he helps in any way landing his 2021 OT teammates who are two of the best linemen in the state in their class -- Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster

https://247sports.com/Player/Hayden-Conner-84649/

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryce-Foster-46037122/

I was kind of wondering the same thing. This staff definitely has faith in their ability to develop kids. So far, I think that faith is justified. Maybe they see enough potential in Coker to justify taking him with the added benefit of getting an advantage on Conner and Foster?

I think the plan is to find someone in the transfer market to bridge the experience gap at Rover until Overshown is ready. When I first saw De'Gabriel Floyd's highlights, I thought he could step in and be Rover, but he's added mass so quickly that I think it's more likely he's a Day 1 Mac who can play Rover in a pinch.
Floyd seriously has the body of an NFL LB...in high school. I think he could be our best take in the class.

Welp, Cook and Boyce/Green are going to get their shot much sooner than expected. 
TFB is reporting Boyd and Davis will be suspended for the first quarter of the OK State game. Late to practice. 
Pray for a pass rush. 
Jesus
Tapdancing
Ch...oh fuck it, fuck bye week in the goatass. Scores every. Damn. Time.

21 minutes ago, ousux said:
20 hours ago, Machinator said:
I think the plan is to find someone in the transfer market to bridge the experience gap at Rover until Overshown is ready. When I first saw De'Gabriel Floyd's highlights, I thought he could step in and be Rover, but he's added mass so quickly that I think it's more likely he's a Day 1 Mac who can play Rover in a pinch.

Floyd seriously has the body of an NFL LB...in high school. I think he could be our best take in the class.

He is a typical Alabama defense take, well advanced past his peers physically.

Adeoye wasn't exactly small either. Hopefully they both have great LB instincts/recognition because we seem to sorely lack that skillset here, for awhile now.

I really love Orlando's defenses for the most part. I worry about his ability to coach the LB position.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, texifornia said:

$217,000,000 teenager Kylian Mbappe says being fast is good (he's clocked at 23mph here)

PaleNeglectedCirriped-size_restricted.gi

Gonna have to call bullshit on 23 mph. Bolts average speed in the 100 meters is around 23.5 with a top end of around 28. No way this kids top end speed is close to Bolts average speed.

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

I worry about his ability to coach the LB position.

Look at guys that played rover for him at uconn, fiu, and Utah state. Walk on and 2-star LBs who were making 150+ tackles a year and making all conference squads. 

Coaching up LBs is what Orlando is BEST at.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Look at guys that played rover for him at uconn, fiu, and Utah state. Walk on and 2-star LBs who were making 150+ tackles a year and making all conference squads. 

Coaching up LBs is what Orlando is BEST at.

What I recall as well, but hard to reconcile that watching the starting LBer play the last two years.

As stated, maybe we see better out of the players he recruits for the position (4 year players).

33 minutes ago, pacman said:

Adeoye wasn't exactly small either. Hopefully they both have great LB instincts/recognition because we seem to sorely lack that skillset here, for awhile now.

I really love Orlando's defenses for the most part. I worry about his ability to coach the LB position.

Yeah I like Orlando.... but he still has a lot more to prove as Defensive Coordinator if he wants a P5 Head Coaching gig......

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

What I recall as well, but hard to reconcile that watching the starting LBer play the last two years.

As stated, maybe we see better out of the players he recruits for the position (4 year players).

Our linebacker play was very good last season, especially once Wheeler and Hughes were taken off the field.

The problem is that the coaches are rather stubborn about sticking with certain entrenched players, even if they've been shown to be ineffective over and over again. Orlando deserves part of the blame for that, but that's not necessarily a development issue.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Our linebacker play was very good last season, especially once Wheeler and Hughes were taken off the field.

The problem is that the coaches are rather stubborn about sticking with certain entrenched players, even if they've been shown to be ineffective over and over again. Orlando deserves part of the blame for that, but that's not necessarily a development issue.

Yeah.... ready to see better play from Orlando's LB group that he personally coaches.

Time to see greatness from TEXAS LBs🤘

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Gonna have to call bullshit on 23 mph. Bolts average speed in the 100 meters is around 23.5 with a top end of around 28. No way this kids top end speed is close to Bolts average speed.

you’re an idiot.  teddy lehman was clocked at over 30mph in the 2001 red river shootout.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Orlando has been entrenched with guys like Locke but he didn’t have many options at LBer this year with all the injuries in fall camp. Those FR Lbers probably aren’t ready especially when you factor in the injuries. 

Outside of Johnson, Wheeler (who isn’t good), and Shark (who is alright but hasn’t shown elite level play yet) there just aren’t many options. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re an idiot.  teddy lehman was clocked at over 30mph in the 2001 red river shootout.  

giphy.gif

Usain Bolt ran the 2009 World final in 9.58 seconds. That's an average of 23.35 mph or 37.578 km/h. Taking acceleration time to the finish into consideration - his top speed was 27.45 mph or 44.172 km/h according to the biomechanical analysis of his 9.58 record.

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

Usain Bolt ran the 2009 World final in 9.58 seconds. That's an average of 23.35 mph or 37.578 km/h. Taking acceleration time to the finish into consideration - his top speed was 27.45 mph or 44.172 km/h according to the biomechanical analysis of his 9.58 record.

I was going to say that!

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

Tim Conways son?

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Wut. Maybe you haven't noticed, but our LB play improved tremendously since he walked on campus. They know what gaps are.

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

It was from the Daily Mail so take it w the appropriate amount of salt: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5907077/Mbappes-speed-kill-Lloris-hails-teenage-stars-fast-show.html

Are people down on our LBs or something? 

I thought GJ has been pretty good to great with a couple down moments. Shark was a really pleasant surprise imo. Makes me feel a lot better about next year. And Wheeler is a limited player but I still think he's underrated. Our defense has been a lot better with him on the field compared to when he was suspended/injured.

Malik went from benched under Strong to B12 co-DPOY last year. LB depth is and will be scary but they've been good minus Maryland and OU