Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

At the end of the day it's still a business decision for Bru. Life > high school buddies. Daniels isn't exactly lighting it up this year, and Bru/his family both know retaining Helton is only for the year. He's looking for a reason to go to USC, but that doesn't mean at the end of the day that's where he'll end up. I view this like a Walker Little recruitment.Ā 

At the end of the day, Daniels is their Garret Gilbert. Decorated QB from a powerhouse program in their own backyard who was viewed as next in line to replace previous standout college QB only to suck ass and set the program back a decade.

• Like 1

I donā€™t understand why itā€™s such a given that playing for Techā€™s castaways is more attractive than playing for this Texas staff. Not buying that. Bru either wants to play with his friends at his hometown school, or he wants to get serious about his career and come to Texas. Kliff is just a distraction from the real factors in Bruā€™s decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It really fucking sucks, speaking from experience.

I pay it as well. It's a joke because having rooted for Texas professional sports teams my whole life, it's always brought up with free agents but never seems to make a difference.

Not to derail. With regards to Bru. If Helton and Swann are as dysfunctional as it seems, let's not assume that either is going to knock this whole staff revamp out of the park. Also, Helton is trying to save his job which is a much bigger priority than Bru. Maybe the OC that helps him do that is a great coach AND a prick. Maybe he won't gel with Bru.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I pay it as well. It's a joke because having rooted for Texas professional sports teams my whole life, it's always brought up with free agents but never seems to make a difference.

Not to derail. With regards to Bru. If Helton and Swann are as dysfunctional as it seems, let's not assume that either is going to knock this whole staff revamp out of the park. Also, Helton is trying to save his job which is a much bigger priority than Bru. Maybe the OC that helps him do that is a great coach AND a prick. Maybe he won't gel with Bru.

Also, Bru should probably end up at linebacker if he wants to be a high draft pick.Ā 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Staff turnover like that never works.Ā  Swann is really just buying himself another year.

I don't know if info is accurate, but it sounds like dumb Swann may have given Helton around a 15 million dollar buyout. That would explain his hesitation and show just how poorly run that athletic department is. We're talking about Clay Helton. Who is going to steal him away from you?!?!?!?

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't know if info is accurate, but it sounds like dumb Swann may have given Helton around a 15 million dollar buyout. That would explain his hesitation and show just how poorly run that athletic department is. We're talking about Clay Helton. Who is going to steal him away from you?!?!?!?

Is this real or pure speculation?Ā  That would qualify as aggy-level self-sabotage.Ā  At the end of the day, no one was going to money whip Helton threeĀ years ago.Ā 

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If KK has a lot of success at USC then Helton will keep his job. Of course, KK would keep his job as well. What KK needs from USC is a long-term guaranteed contract.

For KK's benefit, USC will be as desperate as Texas when it flew Fenves up to Tulsa to moneywhip/beg Sterlin Gilbert.

We aren't getting Bru and we shouldn't have recruited him in the first place. He was always going to USC and it just scares me to death that we thought we could go out to California and take a top prospect. We need to stick to Texas (preferably central Texas) where all the kids already want to come to UT and we don't risk getting turned down. And there are fires all the time out there in California, it'sĀ a terrifying place.Ā 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

I donā€™t understand why itā€™s such a given that playing for Techā€™s castaways is more attractive than playing for this Texas staff. Not buying that. Bru either wants to play with his friends at his hometown school, or he wants to get serious about his career and come to Texas. Kliff is just a distraction from the real factors in Bruā€™s decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the guy directly responsible for top 10 offenses almost every year with less talent? Ya, who would possibly want to play for that guy.Ā 

10 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Is this real or pure speculation?Ā  That would qualify as aggy-level self-sabotage.Ā  At the end of the day, no one was going to money whip Helton threeĀ years ago.Ā 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/massive-buyout-may-have-contributed-to-usc-keeping-helton/ar-BBQ52AN

I doubt the number is accurate, but my guess is the takeaway is the same. It was probably too expensive to fire Helton.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Hmmm. Let's try something different, given the shitty direction you dicks have taken the thread.

Cain isn't #1 or #2 on the recruiting board at TB. He might be who Texas signs, nonetheless. Sanders is also not on the list, although he'd be taken if he miraculously wanted to come. ļ»æ

Thank Christ.

Hmm... Stevenson and Williams vault up to the front of the line?

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Yup..You can not work in LA unless you go to LA school and you can't work in Texas without a degree from UT and you can't work in NYC without a degree from Colombia or NYU.Ā  Ā This shit is so dumb

tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

All I am saying that in Southern Cal the Southern Cal alumni network >>> the Texas network

I thought Bru had said something about the alumni network in SC being a big deal over at 247 but i don't have a sub and can't find it now...so maybe this is all moot.Ā 

either way, he has made it clear he is very interested in playing for his local blueblood team, the team he grew up following and the team where a number of his friends (including his close friend who is their QB)Ā  - the fact that the #8 overall recruit in the country, #1 athlete in the country and #2 California recruitĀ (and a top 200 all time recruit at 247)Ā is not a clear slam dunk to USC shows that Texas is doing something right. Being in the game at this late of a juncture when you are going against all of that is fantastic.

Ā 

31 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

they are private so they don't have to share this, but it's been widely reported by a bunch of people that his buyout is around $15m

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hmmm. Let's try something different, given the shitty direction you dicks have taken the thread.

Cain isn't #1 or #2 on the recruiting board at TB. He might be who Texas signs, nonetheless. Sanders is also not on the list, although he'd be taken if he miraculously wanted to come.

Two questions:

1) Is one or both committed to another school?

2) Is one or both still living?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cain isn't #1 or #2 on the recruiting board at TB. He might be who Texas signs, nonetheless. Sanders is also not on the list, although he'd be taken if he miraculously wanted to come.

other guys with (reported) offers but who have not committed at RB:

• Deondrick Glass
  • Daniel Carter
  • Rhamondre Stevenson (recent-ish offer)

guys who have been discussed/recently picked up offers

• DJ Williams (committed to App State, assume this is one of the guys based on how much heat he has picked up recently and has agreed to take an OV in Dec?)

Committed guysĀ 

• John Emery Jr (LSU)
  • Jerrion Ealy (Ole Miss)
  • Devyn Ford (Penn St)
  • Tyrion Davis (LSU)
  • Marcus Major (OU)

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

247 lists him as both an EE and an early signing period guy

I thought he had huge grade issues though, which would seemingly mean he wasn't going to be an EE?

Ā 

Ā 

I think something about his status changed shortly before the week where he picked up Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, Texas, UGA, and Ole Miss offers.

3 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

They almost have to make a splash hire.Ā  Not only for Bru but for future recruiting.Ā  I'm not one to think we don't have a chance with Bru but I do think USC will hire someone they feel will get future recruits excited.Ā  If Bru is looking for an excuse to go to USC I don't see them screwing it up and not giving him one.

They could absolutely lock Bru down (if he isnā€™t already) by giving him input (at least perceived input) with regard to their OC hire. Anyone that moves the needle for him would more than likely do it for others as well. They float a few names by him and get his reaction. If he reacts well to a coach they can get thatā€™s under consideration anyway, win/win and class salvaged, at least for this year. Then next year when they fire errybody theyā€™ll already have Bru etc. and make a splash hire next cycle after having a year to line things up for the future classes.

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

other guys with (reported) offers but who have not committed at RB:

• Deondrick Glass
  • Daniel Carter
  • Rhamondre Stevenson (recent-ish offer)

guys who have been discussed/recently picked up offers

• DJ Williams (committed to App State, assume this is one of the guys based on how much heat he has picked up recently and has agreed to take an OV in Dec?)

Committed guysĀ 

• John Emery Jr (LSU)
  • Jerrion Ealy (Ole Miss)
  • Devyn Ford (Penn St)
  • Tyrion Davis (LSU)
  • Marcus Major (OU)

Is Daimarqua Foster even on our radar as a late offer?

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I am loath to paraphrase Mack Brown, but he used to say that if he brought recruits to campus and they didn't want to come to TexasĀ then they were either stupid or blind, and in either case he didn't want them. That's how Bru McCoy should be viewed but from the opposite side. USC is circling the drain. They are rudderless from the top of the university on down to the student trainers. If McCoy can't see what he's walking into there, then he deserves to go suffer the consequences likeĀ our players lived with through the end of the Buttertoof and Charlie Strong eras. Seems like a good kid and great football player, but if that's how he wants to spend his college career, then good bye and good luck.

Also, there is more vagina on this thread than in every thread in the U in her B forum combined.Ā Ā IĀ look forward to the day when this program has its balls back and Herman unleashes the recruiting firepower of a fully armed and operational University of Texas Death Star. The hand wringing here is fucking embarrassing. I can't wait until we regain our rightful stature asĀ the arrogant entitled self-important assholes that we are.Ā 

tenor.gif?itemid=11674581

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Can we have some names please kind sir?

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

They could absolutely lock Bru down (if he isnā€™t already) by giving him input (at least perceived input) with regard to their OC hire. Anyone that moves the needle for him would more than likely do it for others as well. They float a few names by him and get his reaction. If he reacts well to a coach they can get thatā€™s under consideration anyway, win/win and class salvaged, at least for this year. Then next year when they fire errybody theyā€™ll already have Bru etc. and make a splash hire next cycle after having a year to line things up for the future classes.

Terrible, this idea. An unsigned/uncommitted recruit would never have real input into a football blue blood program's hiring decisions. Sumlin lost Malik over it, but it was the right move to do so. No 18 year old kid is going to give you objectively good information on the future of your program.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Terrible, this idea. An unsigned/uncommitted recruit would never have real input into a football blue blood program's hiring decisions. Sumlin lost Malik over it, but it was the right move to do so. No 18 year old kid is going to give you objectively good information on the future of your program.Ā 

Yeah, the ā€œperceived inputā€ was perhaps not emphasized enough.

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

And no recruit is worth it. This unbalanced view of thinking schools should do whatever it takes to get a signature from a five star comes only from the minds of recruiting obsessed fans.

What about Vince Young, you ask.

We didn't know he was the Vince Young to be until he was on campus a few years. What about Trey Allen or Garret Gilbert? You don't know what you're going to get until they're here.Ā  Even if they're great, they might get hurt. Too many variables.

Only fools would turn their program upside down for a recruit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And no recruit is worth it. This unbalanced view of thinking schools should do whatever it takes to get a signature from a five star comes only from the minds of recruiting obsessed fans.

What about Vince Young, you ask.

We didn't know he was the Vince Young to be until he was on campus a few years. What about Trey Allen or Garret Gilbert? You don't know what you're going to get until they're here.Ā  Even if they're great, they might get hurt. Too many variables.

Only fools would turn their program upside down for a recruit.

Well, fuck. I guess I did a terrible job of saying what I was going for. I agree with all of this, but if heā€™s ledĀ to believeĀ his input had any influenceĀ at all towards a hire they wereĀ already considering then fine. I think itā€™s apparent heā€™s going there regardless, so I probably should cutback onĀ the ā€œfive martiniā€ business lunches. Thanks for your input fellaā€™s! šŸ˜Ž