Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

You don't need to live on this thread to have read the dozens of discussions about wide receiver recruiting this cycle, and the factors surrounding our successes and failures.

I was responding to pessimistic posts. I’m excited about Jake and Whitt. Let me know what I can discuss going forward. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I was responding to pessimistic posts. I’m excited about Jake and Whitt. Let me know what I can discuss going forward. 

Our inside receiver haul is phenomenal. I'm quite sure it compares favorably to that of most if not all other programs in the country this cycle.

Our outside receiver haul is not good enough if we lose Marcus Washington. That's a concern, regardless of the justified excitement for Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Our inside receiver haul is phenomenal. I'm quite sure it compares favorably to that of most if not all other programs in the country this cycle.

Our outside receiver haul is not good enough if we lose Marcus Washington. That's a concern, regardless of the justified excitement for Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington.

Yeah, but we’re building a roster, so adding two elites to that should make us feel alright even if we don’t close as strong in this class. I’m just trying to stay positive. If our class was a piggy bank, at least we’re losing quarters and dimes while holding on to our shiny silver dollars. So you aggregate and I’ll lead the pep rally. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Also his dad was driving him to practice one time and they got in a serious car accident. When Mike got to the hospital the doctor said "I can't operate on him, he's my son" because it was his mom you misogynist bastard because women can be doctors too sometimes. 

Thanks, Tin Cup . . .

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t want to be called a bitch for pointing out the obvious missed opportunities, but we got to bounce back quick. It was really important that we capatilized and built depth. 

Don’t act like a bitch, you won’t be called a bitch. 

However, you appear to be a bitch. 

Bounce back from what? No one has signed anything at this point.  

I get losing Washington sucks, but have you forgotten we have Bennan Eagles and Alvonte Woodard? What make any one think Washington is better than either of those two? We need linemen and another RB. We're fine at receiver. Chill out. If he comss, great. If not, oh well. I don't think  it has any effect on Mookis who has been a fan forever. Now let's do get Sanders and Bru and a few surprises. Tom doeant ever leave surprised. We're fine, gentlemen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I am always amazed at how some posters act like the sky is falling for a HS kid who hasn’t played a down of D1 ball.  Our haul at WR last year was elite for the Outside but panned by many posters because we didn’t get a slot.  Now we have 2 elite slots coming in along with Josh Moore and the guys who were elite last year are now garbage and if we miss on a kid from Missouri, we should fire our WR coach because he now sucks?  Giles gets hammered, yet he produces and his DL men are the best in conference but he can’t recruit and should be fired?  Y’all make no god damn sense.  We will be fine.  Let’s finish with Sanders, Bru, Caleb Lewis, Hookfin, and Coker and let Yancy and the coaches do the rest.  If kids don’t want to commit to Texas, best of luck with your decision because this train is headed to the Playoffs next year and for a MNC in Sam’s Senior year 

You obviously forgot where you are posing. 

It's probably not a big deal to lose a guy like Washington. Generally, in a class of 25 only about 10 or so are solid contributors and the rest either ride the pine, transfer, or quit football. Look at a guy like Toneil Carter for example - highly rated RB that didn't do shit. Davion Curtis is another 

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's probably not a big deal to lose a guy like Washington. Generally, in a class of 25 only about 10 or so are solid contributors and the rest either ride the pine, transfer, or quit football. Look at a guy like Toneil Carter for example - highly rated RB that didn't do shit. Davion Curtis is another 

Maybe he’s one of the 10.

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Mr. Pessimism isn't thrown by a possible decommit? Whaaa?

(Also Curtis was a mid 3-star)

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Mr. Pessimism isn't thrown by a possible decommit? Whaaa?

(Also Curtis was a mid 3-star)

Hmmm, thought Curtis was rated higher than that. At any rate, this is the 2016 class that demonstrates that a high % of these guys we get  end up being busts: DeLance, Fowler, Elliott, Daniels, Southall, Cuffee, etc.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Edited by 6th Street

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hmmm, thought Curtis was rated higher than that. At any rate, this is the 2016 class that demonstrates that a high % of these guys we get  end up being busts: DeLance, Fowler, Elliott, Daniels, Southall, Cuffee, etc.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

This kinder gentler 6th street has me looking for the troll in innocuous posts. Long game.

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

I am always amazed at how some posters act like the sky is falling for a HS kid who hasn’t played a down of D1 ball.  Our haul at WR last year was elite for the Outside but panned by many posters because we didn’t get a slot.  Now we have 2 elite slots coming in along with Josh Moore and the guys who were elite last year are now garbage and if we miss on a kid from Missouri, we should fire our WR coach because he now sucks?  Giles gets hammered, yet he produces and his DL men are the best in conference but he can’t recruit and should be fired?  Y’all make no god damn sense.  We will be fine.  Let’s finish with Sanders, Bru, Caleb Lewis, Hookfin, and Coker and let Yancy and the coaches do the rest.  If kids don’t want to commit to Texas, best of luck with your decision because this train is headed to the Playoffs next year and for a MNC in Sam’s Senior year 

Hey Harvdog, Mehringer does suck.

• Fuck You 1

EJ after dark: State of wide receiver recruiting

— Nothing has really changed on our end with five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) product Bru McCoy. We are still feeling cautiously optimistic as he heads into his USC official visit this weekend, which could obviously change some things. For now, Texas remains in a good spot. The McCoy family has a great personal relationship with the UT staff, they loved their in-home visit with Tom Herman and Drew Mehringer and they see Texas as an option with more stability. Still, new OC Kliff Kingsbury was a homerun hire for the Trojans, and USC, which has been the favorite throughout the cycle, is closer to home. We should have more clarity after the OV.

— The Marcus Washington shakeup today was a little surprising. While there was some Missouri buzz earlier in the week, everything still appeared to be status quo with Texas. There was confidence in Austin, both Herman and Mehringer had a great in-home last week, and he had some positive conversations with Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington this week. However, Missouri is obviously more of a threat than originally anticipate. I’m told if Texas wants to keep Washington in the fold, it must convince his dad to stay onboard. Washington had a basketball game tonight, but expect Missouri to try to get him on campus tomorrow.

— As I posted earlier today, I have reason to believe that there is a strong possibility that three-star Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis will end up in the class, especially if Washington flips. There are still some moving parts, and I likely won’t make a Crystal Ball move until closer to Wednesday, the first day of the early period, but again, Lewis is a very realistic option. There is a reason that Texas OC Tim Beck saw him last week, and the Longhorns never stopped recruiting him. Lewis has a lot of upside, and the staff has always been intrigued.

— Mehringer and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington had an in-home visit with Elijah Higgins and his family tonight. Texas has always had a great relationship with Higgins as well as his father, George, which is why the Longhorns have been able to hang around. Stanford should still be considered the clear leader as it appears everything is going to work out with the admissions process. But Texas is fighting, and the Longhorns may be able to make some more movement as Higgins’ decision nears. I wouldn’t get optimistic just yet, but this one isn’t completely over.

What the fuck?

13 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Hey Harvdog, Mehringer does suck.

I can’t imainge how much it must suck to be a D1 coach at the University of Texas at 29.  You may not agree with some of his decisions but obviously he’s talented otherwise he wouldn’t be here.  Bru loves him.  I know he struggled last year and it showed on the field. That’s obviously changed with the improvement of LJH and Colin.  Coaching had nothing to do that 🙄. I would love to get David Beaty because he’s a great recruiter and can help us in Dallas but DM has done a good job.  I know at 29 I would have loved a job like that  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Washington committed late October.  He has not publicly posted anything regarding a decommit.  Maybe he learned one of the two silents is Bru? Either way we are not doomed one way or the other.   I've yet to see a recruiting class where everyone admits this particular year is thin at outside wr.  Even if we miss one year, we can get a little extra the following year.