Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

45 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Having been around Higgins here in Austin and having spent quite a bit of time over the years in Palo Alto, I can't see him liking the uniqueness of Stanford that attracted Mrs. Bragg(Little was a different story, his dad called the shots).

You seem like a good man, but what do you mean "you can't see him liking the uniqueness of Stanford". 

Just curious.

29 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Fields family consulting attorney to find out if they can turn UGA in and not sit a year?  Do they have to give the money back?  Lots of legalese to filter through. 

They're saying because he encountered racism at Georgia, he should be able to transfer and play right away 

The stupid bullshit about the “education” aspect of Stanford needs to stop.  Go look at the majors for 50% of their team.  “Science, technology, and society” is the biggest bullshit degree path ever.

They’re riding the coattails of the academic  side of the school.  It’s not that fucking hard to meet the minimum requirements to get into stanford.

• Like 3

Haven’t checked in since about 5pm. Good to see everyone has a grounded perspective regarding the state of recruiting, and we are all happy about the juco commit. None of our pets heads are falling off and everyone has cautious optimism moving forward. And that I didn’t check in to 300 posts of insane paranoia. Well done gents.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

The stupid bullshit about the “education” aspect of Stanford needs to stop.  Go look at the majors for 50% of their team.  “Science, technology, and society” is the biggest bullshit degree path ever.

They’re riding the coattails of the academic  side of the school.  It’s not that fucking hard to meet the minimum requirements to get into stanford.

Look at the majors of the football players at UT and you will find that they are equally lacking.  A Stanford degree carries more weight than a UT degree, and Stanford is a hell of a lot harder to get into. I don’t think that’s debatable.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

They're saying because he encountered racism at Georgia, he should be able to transfer and play right away 

Forgot about that..... good point Fud

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/justin_fields_target_of_georgi.html

"Justin Fields target of Georgia baseball player's racially derogatory comments"    Oct 3, 2018

Edited by LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You seem like a good man, but what do you mean "you can't see him liking the uniqueness of Stanford". 

Just curious.

Has nothing to do with race.

The average Stanford student is wired and comes from a very different environment than that of Bowie. The student and social life at Stanford is very different as well. Higgins likes the "prestige" perception that comes from going to Stanford. I think he loves Austin, the ability to visit with his parents at a whim, play at DKR with the energy our home games had this year and be a local celebrity. I just do not believe Drew could sell him on it. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Has nothing to do with race.

The average Stanford student is wired and comes from a very different environment than that of Bowie. The student and social life at Stanford is very different as well. Higgins likes the "prestige" perception that comes from going to Stanford. I think he loves Austin, the ability to visit with his parents at a whim, play at DKR with the energy our home games had this year and be a local celebrity. I just do not believe Drew could sell him on it. 

Hell fucking yes. This is why I love this thread. Everyone quit bitching and listen to this guy. What about the size and shape of Higgins’ skull makes you think he will succeed at Texas as opposed to Stanford? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hell fucking yes. This is why I love this thread. Everyone quit bitching and listen to this guy. What about the size and shape of Higgins’ skull makes you think he will succeed at Texas as opposed to Stanford? 

What about the ears and noses of Stanford students??

"Unlike other parts of the human body, the ears and nose continue to grow for a Stanford Cardinal their entire life. This is because their noses and ears contain brilliance cells which never stop growing. "

Scorpio going in hard with some scorching hot phrenology takes. This is the kind of content those 9.95 pretenders just can’t offer.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

It's almost Tuesday, which is the day when we debate Stanford vs Texas. Wednesday is "Bitch About Mehringer Day" and Thursday  is "Giles Is Fucking Worthless Day". 

What day is Warehime's IBS the topic, and Hand's Cooking Tips scheduled?? 🤘

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Just curious.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

he’s talking about skin color and stereotypes.  bragg is white so he can appreciate the academic environment of palo alto.

I visited a friend at Stanford back when we were in college. We went to Old Pro's on Wednesday night, some Sorority Mixer on Thursday night, can't remember Friday night, saw his brother play tennis in the big Stanford/Cal end of tennis season head-to-head matchup in Berkeley, and then went to some party Saturday night. My friend even lived in his fraternity's dorm (they don't/didn't exactly have fraternity houses back then) and yet I remember the place being kind of dead with a few upbeat events in between a ghost town.

A couple of years ago I went to a bar just off campus because they were having a PLINY THE YOUNGER keg tapping (IPA addicts will know what that means) and the place was kind of depressing. It was a weeknight, but I quickly realized that Stanford is a place to have said that you went and to possibly find a good startup to hop on while you're still there, but it isn't going to be an amazing 3 to 5 year college experience.

(Also, it is nearly impossible to get below a "B" in a class as long as you show up. There were articles about that a decade+ ago.)

2 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Fuck Stanford. I wish we could play these cocksuckers!

We did schedule them and Mack Brown & Company got shut down by a vastly inferior team. He was so out-coached in the game in Palo Alto that I felt like a water boy could have devised a better Plan B than Mack & Co.

That being said, if we played them now, I feel that we would smash the shit up and we would get at least 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties from grabbing our crotches as their players writhed on the ground in pain. I would favor scheduling them again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I visited a friend at Stanford back when we were in college. We went to Old Pro's on Wednesday night, some Sorority Mixer on Thursday night, can't remember Friday night, saw his brother play tennis in the big Stanford/Cal end of tennis season head-to-head matchup in Berkeley, and then went to some party Saturday night. My friend even lived in his fraternity's dorm (they don't/didn't exactly have fraternity houses back then) and yet I remember the place being kind of dead with a few upbeat events in between a ghost town.

A couple of years ago I went to a bar just off campus because they were having a PLINY THE YOUNGER keg tapping (IPA addicts will know what that means) and the place was kind of depressing. It was a weeknight, but I quickly realized that Stanford is a place to have said that you went and to possibly find a good startup to hop on while you're still there, but it isn't going to be an amazing 3 to 5 year college experience.

(Also, it is nearly impossible to get below a "B" in a class as long as you show up. There were articles about that a decade+ ago.)

We did schedule them and Mack Brown & Company got shut down by a vastly inferior team. He was so out-coached in the game in Palo Alto that I felt like a water boy could have devised a better Plan B than Mack & Co.

That being said, if we played them now, I feel that we would smash the shit up and we would get at least 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties from grabbing our crotches as their players writhed on the ground in pain. I would favor scheduling them again.

In the game Major started the year before we killed them in Austin, as people were passing out from the heat.

Major was throwing touchdowns to guys like Healy, Mike Jones and Ryan Nunez (I think) and Chris Robertson had a big day and we blocked a kick & Hodges Mitchell was good and I don't remember any of  the specifics really. 

Tiger Woods attended the next game in 2000 and we and our 2 QB system was a mess. See OU game....

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Stopped reading at IPA

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Stopped reading at IPA

To me it tasted like carbonated pine sap. I have entirely too many taste buds to drink something like Pliny The Younger, but here's a little background...

Screen-Shot-2018-12-18-at-5-07-21-AM.png

And here's a link to the release info: https://russianriverbrewing.com/pliny-the-younger-release/

Of note... DISTRIBUTION:

We start distributing Younger on draft the week after we release it at our pubs. You will see it pop up in the Bay Area, Sacramento, So Cal, Oregon, Colorado, and Philadelphia generally by the end of February. 

NOTICE: NO Central Texas distribution! Depending on the preferences of our recruits, this might not matter or this could be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

TFloss info (SIAP):

Spoiler

The Football Brainiacs mentioned there is "some increasing optimism" on RB Noah Cain.

However, they weren't specific about what that means other than Cain having connections to the state and UT having made him a priority from the beginning.

/

On RB Trey Sanders (Nahlin) : "Just heard he applied to all four schools: Bama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas. Originally he had only applied to Bama. "

/

Holland from 24/7 said OL Isaiah Hoofkin is 70% to Texas right now if he had to put a number on it.

He still hasn't heard anything from the Baylor side that makes him believe they have the lead.

/

Per Inside Texas, WR Kennedy Lewis of Melissa will be committing at 1 p.m. CST 12/18

/

Higgins commits at 7p on 12/18

/

Per 24/7, RB Noah Cain is truly torn on what he wants to do and playing closer to home (his mother is in Dallas, played at Denton Guyer) is weighing on him.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Everyone on the thread: "for the love of God no Stanford academics talk"

Thread: "lol nah"

So I haven't kept up with millenial things. Now that the top 6% rule has been in effect at Texas for awhile, how do our academics stack up against Stanford? You would think Texas has just as many smart people as California.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

TFloss info (SIAP):

Per 24/7, RB Noah Cain is truly torn on what he wants to do and playing closer to home (his mother is in Dallas, played at Denton Guyer) is weighing on him.

Now that is a football family. I can't imagine my mom playing football.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was at that game at Standford Stadium (priori to renovation). Took a bus from San Francisco with a bunch of Exes. Great party  , shitty game (as you said), the Major couldn’t pull out the magic and we played lethargic the whole game. Tiger Woods made a sideline appearance too. 

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, NoName said:

that's a beast of a depth chart to be going up against and a pretty interesting move

4HfhMI.png

especially when the other option is...

2a4YsV.png

GLWT

To be fair, Rodney Anderson isn't returning. But yeah, much easier road to playing time at Texas. 

• Like 1