Texas recruiting notes 2019

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ingram wanted to be the sole take and it's not a tire fire, Watson is just a really quality upgrade.

Converting an injury riddled LB and pursuing JC options instills very little confidence. I may be proven incorrect, until then I’ll view the position with a jaundiced eye. Thanks for the information on Ingram, I was unaware of his stipulation. 

34 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

So, why exactly, did Texas sign one RB last cycle if the position is in this rough of shape? Relying on Johnson or Houston for production seems rather ridiculous. 

We didn't want to do anything to upset Ingram after he didn't sign early. 

Ideally, we would have taken one more back, but all things considered it probably made more sense to keep Ingram locked in. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Converting an injury riddled LB and pursuing JC options instills very little confidence. I may be proven incorrect, until then I’ll view the position with a jaundiced eye. Thanks for the information on Ingram, I was unaware of his stipulation. 

All add some more Information. One, Tre Watson is a graduate transfer, so it doesn't qualify as "scouring JUCO options." Second, outside of what Ingram wanted, the RB position in the state of Texas last year was smoking hot garbage, so you know, some people are ok with not signing another Tristian Houston to sit on the bench for 4 years. We've got one of those already for another couple as it stands. Oh, and we're in great shape for some studs in 2019 and THE stud in 2020. I'm perfectly fine with the way we're working the RB position last cycle, as well as this cycle. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

He's a grad transfer, not a JC.  IF the staff thought the position was so dire, they needed a JC for this year, they would've recruited one in 2018.  Converting Townsend is meaningless; the dude was never gonna see the field no matter where he lines up.  Looking at a grad transfer RB has no downside, it doesn't affect scholarship numbers moving forward.  You're reading into meaningless things and interpreting a worse situation than what actually exists.

Our RB depth chart isn't great, but it's not a disaster either. Both Young and Carter looked pretty good when they got opportunities and we'll have Ingram and Porter behind them. That's four, at least serviceable, RBs on the roster for 2019 plus we run the QB and use WRs in the run game. We'll be fine.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

He's a grad transfer, not a JC.  IF the staff thought the position was so dire, they needed a JC for this year, they would've recruited one in 2018.  Converting Townsend is meaningless; the dude was never gonna see the field no matter where he lines up.  Looking at a grad transfer RB has no downside, it doesn't affect scholarship numbers moving forward.  You're reading into meaningless things and interpreting a worse situation than what actually exists.

Our RB depth chart isn't great, but it's not a disaster either. Both Young and Carter looked pretty good when they got opportunities and we'll have Ingram and Porter behind them. That's four, at least serviceable, RBs on the roster for 2019 plus we run the QB and use WRs in the run game. We'll be fine.

Right, he’s a grad transfer, so that was a mistake on my part. Still, the impetus behind the interest remains the same. I believe they expected more out of the guys currently on campus and now, in retrospect, are trying to get creative. 

For my part, I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire, but the RB room definetly needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Ingram comes in and lights it up, but relying on freshman is often a mixed bag. As for the 2019 and 2020 guys, my concern is for the 18’ season, as it’s a big one. 

Anyway, this should probably be on the football board and is all pure speculation on my part. 

10 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Right, he’s a grad transfer, so that was a mistake on my part. Still, the impetus behind the interest remains the same. I believe they expected more out of the guys currently on campus and now, in retrospect, are trying to get creative. 

For my part, I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire, but the RB room definetly needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Ingram comes in and lights it up, but relying on freshman is often a mixed bag. As for the 2019 and 2020 guys, my concern is for the 18’ season, as it’s a big one. 

Anyway, this should probably be on the football board and is all pure speculation on my part. 

There's two ways you can view interest in Tre Watson.  Oh cool, the staff is always trying to maximize the roster and grad transfers are an easy, no downside way to do that. Or, OMG the sky is falling! Our RB room is doomed.  You certainly seem to be leaning towards the second.  There are more RB grad transfers on the market than just Tre Watson. IF the staff thought the RB position was in trouble and were "trying to get creative," we'd probably be hearing about them going after more RBs than just Tre Watson, who's is already deep into the recruiting process and taking OVs to many P5 programs.

Watson is a talented player being courted by numerous P5 schools, including LSU. Why wouldn't our staff want him? Their interest doesn't have to be interpreted as an ominous referendum on all our current RBs.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

18 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You state "the RB room definitely needs to be upgraded" but the staff taking action to upgrade it via grad transfer "instills very little confidence". 

That doesn't makes sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Maybe Watson really liked the game atmosphere when Cal played in Austin in 2015. With apologies to The Station, Austin was fairly lit that weekend.

Especially since we had just thrown Steve Patterson overboard and Greg Fenves was really beginning to take charge of a lot of things that had been loose ends under Bill Powers. I was as stoked about all of that as the game that weekend.

Eric Nahlin - latest on Elijah Higgins

Despite his impressive offer list, Austin Bowie's Elijah Higgins still feels like he has a lot to prove. At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, he's heard the talk about being a tight end and he's not having it. That topic is largely a semantic one to me as his best utility is likely as an inside flexed receiver who moves around some. I doubt Jordan Reed cares about his positional designation, but as of now Higgins does care about that perception. Schools are recruiting him at receiver, but when Stanford and its rich tight end tradition comes calling, that makes one wonder.

That's not to say he can't play wide receiver in a traditional sense on the college level, either. One college contact says he's a top-four wide receiver in-state. That's high praise in a state that produces so much talent at the position.

Higgins is still gathering information on his top schools. Most, including me, have him slated for Stanford or Texas. He's been to UT numerous times and will make his first visit to Stanford next month. That will be a visit to keep an eye on.

Here's the latest. 

What he wants to show at these camps:
"The same thing I've been showing, just want more people to see it, really. I feel like a lot of people don't know my abilities yet so hopefully I can come out here and compete and do what I do best."

On recruiting:
"I'm still not that close. I'm still going to take a few more visits and treat everybody fairly. I haven't given everybody an opportunity to recruit me just yet just because I haven't been able to get out of the state of Texas. But, I really want to start narrowing schools down soon. Hopefully in the next couple weeks after I make a few more visits."

Upcoming visits:
"Arkansas, Ole Miss, I'm going to Stanford next month, a couple more schools on the way, just a variety of schools."

*All of those will be unofficial visits.

Return trip to UT?
"I was planning on going to the spring game on the 21st but I have prom so I won't be able to go then. It's really just me getting up there. Track season just ended so I'll be up there a little more on occasion. I'll have more free time after school to make moves up there."

The draw of Texas:
"Really, I've told a lot of people this, really just it being home for me. I'm from Austin, I grew up in Austin, I love the culture there. I love what they do over there. They're building still. I think they have great things in the future, really, really soon future, probably next year especially with this 2018 class. But, I mean, I'm just excited to see what they do."

Continued:
"It's a combination of everything. I know they have amazing academics. The football wasn't amazing last year but I know they've done great things in the past and they're bound to do great things in the future. So it's really just a combination of that and being home as well. A lot of people are pushing for me to go down there, I have a lot of support for it. It's a great place, a great place to live, a great place to go to school."

Stanford:
"I'll be there on May 11th...I'm not 100% sure, but sometime next month." 

The draw of Stanford:
"Really the education. I know they play big ball. They're probably one of the best schools in the country, if not thee. I mean, I know they do great things on the field as well. They play pro-style so they'd get me ready for a future in the NFL if I were to make it to that next level of football. The coaches are really pushing for me as well. It's one of a few schools that are recruiting me really hard. It being in California as well, I know it's a nice area to live, so it's really just me getting out there and seeing the facilities, talking with the coaches and kind of feeling everything out. That's really what I'm waiting for to get up there and see if it's the right fit for me." 

How closely is he monitoring the recruitment of Garrett Wilson:
"I already know where he's going. I don't want to say it, don't want to hint at it either."

On those two wanting to play together:
"It's still a thing. He's recruiting me pretty hard. I'm excited for him to make his decision and then follow up where he's going. We'll see in the end if it works out, if not then it is what it is."

Higgins is yet another Austin talent who is proving to be anything but a slam dunk for Longhorns' staff.
Edited by Machinator

"I already know where he's going. I don't want to say it, don't want to hint at it either."

"It's still a thing. He's recruiting me pretty hard. I'm excited for him to make his decision and then follow up where he's going. We'll see in the end if it works out, if not then it is what it is."

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

The draw of Stanford:
"Really the education. I know they play big ball. They're probably one of the best schools in the country, if not thee. I mean, I know they do great things on the field as well. They play pro-style so they'd get me ready for a future in the NFL if I were to make it to that next level of football. The coaches are really pushing for me as well. It's one of a few schools that are recruiting me really hard. It being in California as well, I know it's a nice area to live, so it's really just me getting out there and seeing the facilities, talking with the coaches and kind of feeling everything out. That's really what I'm waiting for to get up there and see if it's the right fit for me." 

While they do a good job of getting OL/DL in the NFL, is there another Stanford WR outside of Ty Montgomery  (who isn't a WR any longer) that's been drafted recently?

36 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You state "the RB room definitely needs to be upgraded" but the staff taking action to upgrade it via grad transfer "instills very little confidence". 

That doesn't makes sense. 

No, it instills very little confidence on the RB’s currently on campus. Considering our QB was our leading rusher last season, it seems rather reasonable actually. 

9 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

While they do a good job of getting OL/DL in the NFL, is there another Stanford WR outside of Ty Montgomery  (who isn't a WR any longer) that's been drafted recently?

Stanford WR's drafted since 1990:

*Fuck it - imgur won't post*

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

9 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

How have they done with tight ends?

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

How have they done with tight ends?

5 TE's drafted since 2010 - all still active

Rk,Year,Rnd,Pick,,Pos,DrAge,Tm
1,2016,3,81,Austin Hooper\HoopAu00,TE,21,ATL
2,2013,2,35,Zach Ertz\ErtzZa00,TE,22,PHI
3,2013,4,133,Levine Toilolo\ToilLe00,TE,22,ATL
4,2012,2,34,Coby Fleener\FleeCo00,TE,23,IND
5,2010,7,233,Jim Dray\DrayJi00,TE,23,ARI
6,2005,3,71,Alex Smith\SmitAl02,TE,23,TAM
7,2003,2,63,Teyo Johnson\JohnTe00,TE,21,OAK
8,1997,3,77,Greg Clark\ClarGr00,TE,25,SFO
9,1995,4,131,Tony Cline\ClinTo00,TE,23,BUF
10,1992,10,261,Turner Baur,TE,,NWE
Edited by Hiphopopotamos

50 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

There's two ways you can view interest in Tre Watson.  Oh cool, the staff is always trying to maximize the roster and grad transfers are an easy, no downside way to do that. Or, OMG the sky is falling! Our RB room is doomed.  You certainly seem to be leaning towards the second.  There are more RB grad transfers on the market than just Tre Watson. IF the staff thought the RB position was in trouble and were "trying to get creative," we'd probably be hearing about them going after more RBs than just Tre Watson, who's is already deep into the recruiting process and taking OVs to many P5 programs.

Watson is a talented player being courted by numerous P5 schools, including LSU. Why wouldn't our staff want him? Their interest doesn't have to be interpreted as an ominous referendum on all our current RBs.

I think there is more than two ways to view the current situation. You can admire the staff for looking to upgrade the situation and also recognize their reason for doing so. The staff is very tight lipped about who they are pursuing behind the scenes, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they had reached out to other prospects. 

I tend to think ominous is a step too far, but should we be concerned about a RB position that was out rushed by our QB? Absolutely. 

17 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

No, it instills very little confidence on the RB’s currently on campus. Considering our QB was our leading rusher last season, it seems rather reasonable actually. 

When we have exactly one non-freshman that counts as a workhorse back, getting a guy with the below profile even just as injury insurance is sensible, yes.

A consensus mid three-star prospect out of high school, Watson was also recruited by schools like Boise State, BYU, Washington, and Washington State. After arriving in Berkeley, Watson carried the ball 25 times as a freshman before emerging as a sophomore with 89 carries for 504 yards and three touchdowns, along with 100 yards and a touchdown as a receiver. In 2016, Watson turned 143 carries into 709 yards and four touchdowns, while also expanding his ability as a receiver with 241 yards and another touchdown through the air. On special teams, Watson has 657 career kickoff return yards.

Perhaps best all, Watson only fumbled once over the 249 that represented his last three seasons.

Edited by texifornia

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I view Toneil as a total wild card until proven otherwise. I think it's good that the staff is pursuing an RB grad transfer because I don't think there's a proven RB2 if Young goes down.

Si. 

Also, when building a line it's always good to have a few solid RBs with a variety of skills. As long as they all leave their ego in the clubhouse, each players individual nuances can help compensate for our OL mismatches while we rebuild- so long as there is a competent Offensive coach who can quickly identify and adjust our RB appropriately. I'm excited because I feel like Hand is that type of coach.

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Yeah that definitely sounds like he's O-H-I-O bound. fuck.

Edited by lonestar3

Not for nothin, but Jordan Patterson will officially be at the spring game. His Twitter bio pic is him in a UT uni and helmet, and he only follows two people after a year of being on and it's DeGabriel Floyd and TFB's Andrew King. 

I have no idea what kind of shot we have for him but you gotta like where we're starting. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If two Austin kids are still talking about playing together, they’re likely going to do it at Texas. 

Anything from Higgins about looking at tosu?

Ohio State offered in January. A lot of good schools seem to view Higgins as a take in his own right, and I bet Ohio State wouldn't hesitate to ramp things up with him if they thought it would solidify Wilson.

10 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Not for nothin, but Jordan Patterson will officially be at the spring game. His Twitter bio pic is him in a UT uni and helmet, and he only follows two people after a year of being on and it's DeGabriel Floyd and TFB's Andrew King. 

I have no idea what kind of shot we have for him but you gotta like where we're starting. 

If we offered he would commit on the spot he's basically recruiting himself to Texas. 

24 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

His half-brother is De'Gabriel Floyd and, apparently, he has some work to do in the classroom. EJ said Patterson most likely would receive a ton of offers once (if) his grades improve.

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

https://twitter.com/boimarv9/status/986307892172283905?s=21

I don’t know how to insert this, but Leal tweeted: Big Day tomorrow 👀🎒

Yeah, losing him and potentially Wilson in a span of a few weeks will hurt but there is plenty of time to find replacements.