The Dumb Zone with Akaash Singh 7-31-23

0:00 - Open

10:22 - Tom DeLonge got it done

26:00 - Jason Aldean on cancel culture

30:18 - Desean Watson/Baker Mayfield

48:30 - Why we left The Ticket

1:19:15 - Akaash backstory

I jumped straight to 48:30. 

So when Jake went from producer to host, he got no raise in pay whatsoever. Then when his contract was up they STILL weren't going to give him any raise in pay

4 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

So when Jake went from producer to host, he got no raise in pay whatsoever. Then when his contract was up they STILL weren't going to give him any raise in pay

interesting.  corby said "they were offered most of what they asked for"

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I can't wait for the next ratings book to come out and reddit has to swallow the bitter pill that is 1 to 3 being the highest rated show on the radio in that timeslot in DFW. Can't fucking wait.

...you mean in two ratings books? the next ratings book will be for july. then the next one for august.

do you really think there will have been no loss in share with them losing both norm and Hang Zone? not in rating, in share (which they can all thank the Musers for btw, they roll out a 14.1 for the last ratings period and it drops throughout the day)? they may still be #1, but if this drops to say 10 and the fan + freak both see an increase no one will care? do you think a loss in share will have no impact on drivetime share?

image.png.ab85d885d372bf76aa07b5abe2a59d03.png

let's put it this way. which of these two lead ins do you think Hardline 5.0 is going to be happier with?

• Hang Zone with Dan and Jake
  • WiP + Sean Bass?

(anyone who says the 2nd show is a liar)dropping in a link to the full ratings book that Peter W posted on reddit most recently + spoilering it

Spoiler

zam6fq8w7jbb1.png?width=1150&format=png&

Edited by NoName

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

...you mean in two ratings books? the next ratings book will be for july. then the next one for august.

do you really think there will have been no loss in share with them losing both norm and Hang Zone? not in rating, in share (which they can all thank the Musers for btw, they roll out a 14.1 for the last ratings period and it drops throughout the day)? they may still be #1, but if this drops to say 10 and the fan + freak both see an increase no one will care? do you think a loss in share will have no impact on drivetime share?

image.png.ab85d885d372bf76aa07b5abe2a59d03.png

let's put it this way. which of these two lead ins do you think Hardline 5.0 is going to be happier with?

• Hang Zone with Dan and Jake
  • WiP + Sean Bass?

(anyone who says the 2nd show is a liar)dropping in a link to the full ratings book that Peter W posted on reddit most recently + spoilering it

Reveal hidden contents

zam6fq8w7jbb1.png?width=1150&format=png&

Dumb zone has been gone since June 30. They didn't broadcast a single show in July

1st segment from Sean and Mino already so much better than Donovan and MM. I can see this being really good, especially once Monty joins. In fairness to Donny and MM though, it's really weird for MM to go from a show in Birmingham on Friday to a new station/show on Monday (at a remote in California at that).

2 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

1st segment from Sean and Mino already so much better than Donovan and MM. I can see this being really good, especially once Monty joins. In fairness to Donny and MM though, it's really weird for MM to go from a show in Birmingham on Friday to a new station/show on Monday (at a remote in California at that).

I'm going to have a really hard time squaring McLearin and the idea that he believes he was abducted by aliens. I have that right, yes? Also, sounds like he's got a lisp. It's not exactly Brad Thomas level but it's still there ...

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

I'm the exact opposite. I liked 10-1 but punched out after a couple of segments here. They took the worst part of WIP and the worst part of the Invasion and gave them a 2 hour show. Brutal. I don't think Monty can even save this garbage. Mino is so bad without Monty. Monty is the new Dan and the idiots didn't even give him a show. 

It’s impossible to get any whiter than mino and bass. And not just in skin color. Maybe Monty saves em. 

can’t help but laugh at the champion energy ad spot about ‘being a holdover’ bagging on radio listeners vs podcasts now. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sean Bass is The Ticket's program director or whatever the fuck Dick Hicks was before he bailed for TMS. He's not taking a board op gig. He was going to be a host or producer or just stay slotted in his current role, which he'll probably continue to do from here on anyways.

Mino was the producer of the Hardline. Bass should have been moved to that

8 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I can't wait for the next ratings book to come out and reddit has to swallow the bitter pill that is 1 to 3 being the highest rated show on the radio in that timeslot in DFW. Can't fucking wait.

let's get some action on this.

if sean bass has the highest rated show in DFW from 1-3 I'll eat crow.  but he's a fucking spare and he will fail.

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

You realize that to a lot of us $7 a month is no big deal right?

it's weird all the way around that so called Ticket people and fans are acting like $6.90 is some kind of huge bar to jump or insane to ask for?

dudes are giving it a go on their own. they have done a great job historically of cataloging their work external of cumulus. they have good bits and segments. i trust them more than any single other show on the ticket to make the transition to podcasting work. if they suck, then they suck. if they go to the freak after all this, they are dead to me.

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

It’s not the money. It’s the effort. I wouldn’t pay $7 for this if I had Jerry Jones money.

guy, there is no effort. you literally open an app and click one button and it plays. after you subscribe it's literally no different than opening the sportsday app and clicking play there.

this isn't complex.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

A beating is the Musers discussing music and playing tracks. Jub might be the worst DJ in history. This morning discussing beach music and surfing. Its a barbed wire enema. The 900th time Jr all’s about going to Galveston and inflicting reggae on his passengers. Jub played some godawful thing that I missed but it would have killed any beach vibes I had. Then his rueing that he didn’t learn to surf. Poke a pencil in my fucking ears.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

A beating is the Musers discussing music and playing tracks. Jub might be the worst DJ in history. This morning discussing beach music and surfing. Its a barbed wire enema. The 900th time Jr all’s about going to Galveston and inflicting reggae on his passengers. Jub played some godawful thing that I missed but it would have killed any beach vibes I had. Then his rueing that he didn’t learn to surf. Poke a pencil in my fucking ears.

genuinely curious why you listen to the station.

not a fan of Dan or Jake. not a fan of Norm it appears. hate Jub? i assume you don't like Corby? if you don't like him, you don't like Gen X. typically people who hate folks on the station also hate Bob...so what's the point? if you want Gordo just listen to his segments and punch out from there. you think WiP is dry dock/vacation fodder.

you think $7 and patreon is too complex, but listen to XM, so can i assume you are some old dude who also doesn't like Donny? your Julie comments seem to fall in line with the old dude stuff as well.

just go listen to Rhynes over at the spite station and old bits from pre 2008 on the unticket and call it a day.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

not a fan of Dan or Jake. not a fan of Norm it appears. hate Jub? i assume you don't like Corby? if you don't like him, you don't like Gen X. typically people who hate folks on the station also hate Bob...so what's the point? if you want Gordo just listen to his segments and punch out from there. you think WiP is dry dock/vacation fodder.

you think $7 and patreon is too complex, but listen to XM, so can i assume you are some old dude who also doesn't like Donny? your Julie comments seem to fall in line with the old dude stuff as well.

just go listen to Rhynes over at the spite station and old bits from pre 2008 on the unticket and call it a day.

He loves Norm.  The guy is John in Plano. 

“I talk with Norm on a regular basis”

“Appreciate ya pal”. 

I’m generally a fan of the Musers except when they talk music and play clips. I actually have no issue with the midday crews and will listen unless there is a reason not to. I am not a fan of Corby but he’s reined it in a little. The rest is fine. I’ve never been a big Dan fan; most folks are polarized on him. Jake is ok. I’m just not engaged enough to follow them on their podcast.

I know how to do podcasts. I’m saying most listeners will not make the effort to move from free to pay. I’ve been in the pay tv business forever and getting folks to pay for cable when they were getting their three channels for free took a couple decades. It took ESPN, HBO, mtv, TVs to start getting folks to really move over. So that is where D&J are; I hope they have great success.

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m generally a fan of the Musers except when they talk music and play clips. I actually have no issue with the midday crews and will listen unless there is a reason not to. I am not a fan of Corby but he’s reined it in a little. The rest is fine. I’ve never been a big Dan fan; most folks are polarized on him. Jake is ok. I’m just not engaged enough to follow them on their podcast.

I know how to do podcasts. I’m saying most listeners will not make the effort to move from free to pay. I’ve been in the pay tv business forever and getting folks to pay for cable when they were getting their three channels for free took a couple decades. It took ESPN, HBO, mtv, TVs to start getting folks to really move over. So that is where D&J are; I hope they have great success.

having a million thoughts on them, sharing them, but not being engaged enough to follow their podcast? lol

i don't think you do know how to do podcasts based on your comment that started this:

It’s not the money. It’s the effort.

it's no effort to listen to a podcast. literally it's exactly the same amount of effort as anyone who uses the app. *exactly* the same.

if you think that podcasting and patreon are the same as going from 3 channels to cable and satellite you really are some old dude. that game isn't the same as it was 3 years ago, much less 12 months.

getting people to pay monthly for a podcast via patreon isn't difficult. it's a million times easier to do on your phone than calling a cable provider, setting up payment, getting a box, learning how to use it and then watching all the new channels.

with basically no push, no nothing they are just outside the top 500 patreons. they are seeing a steady climb daily in the # of patrons they have. they have done very limited self promotion, set up the patreon without social media existing anywhere and barely have a website. hell, they just forward that to a linktree.

look - this isn't the 80s man, come on. the jump from terrestrial radio --> patreon vs 3 channels --> cable are two totally different things. totally different!

Edited by NoName

I don’t need a lecture douche bag. I know how the business is changing and the fact that the Ticket is a remarkable dinosaur of success in a highly disruptive time. They are struggling with huge payrolls of their drive time shows and know it was not last. Change is coming.

I admit I don’t consume much radio these days in any form except when in the car. Officing at home I’ve usually got nfl network or similar on in the background. My position on where all of this goes relates to the structure of the beast as it’s a fucking mess in all media, witness Disney/ESPN, HBO/discovery/Warner, it’s a mess of consolidation and divestiture all over the place. D&J are either catching a wave or getting crushed by one.

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t need a lecture douche bag. I know how the business is changing and the fact that the Ticket is a remarkable dinosaur of success in a highly disruptive time. They are struggling with huge payrolls of their drive time shows and know it was not last. Change is coming.

I admit I don’t consume much radio these days in any form except when in the car. Officing at home I’ve usually got nfl network or similar on in the background. My position on where all of this goes relates to the structure of the beast as it’s a fucking mess in all media, witness Disney/ESPN, HBO/discovery/Warner, it’s a mess of consolidation and divestiture all over the place. D&J are either catching a wave or getting crushed by one.

you say you do, but then you talk about how much effort it takes and compare it to 3 channel to cable TV so that makes me question it.

at this point let's just agree to disagree. i don't think you are some moron but i also don't think you know as much as you think you do. you clearly think you know more and that i don't know as much as i think i do. that's all fine.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

having a million thoughts on them, sharing them, but not being engaged enough to follow their podcast? lol

i don't think you do know how to do podcasts based on your comment that started this:

it's no effort to listen to a podcast. literally it's exactly the same amount of effort as anyone who uses the app. *exactly* the same.

if you think that podcasting and patreon are the same as going from 3 channels to cable and satellite you really are some old dude. that game isn't the same as it was 3 years ago, much less 12 months.

getting people to pay monthly for a podcast via patreon isn't difficult. it's a million times easier to do on your phone than calling a cable provider, setting up payment, getting a box, learning how to use it and then watching all the new channels.

with basically no push, no nothing they are just outside the top 500 patreons. they are seeing a steady climb daily in the # of patrons they have. they have done very limited self promotion, set up the patreon without social media existing anywhere and barely have a website. hell, they just forward that to a linktree.

look - this isn't the 80s man, come on. the jump from terrestrial radio --> patreon vs 3 channels --> cable are two totally different things. totally different!

Not to agree with Choose Your Energy doucher, but it’s an effort for me. It’s really not the money. Trust me. I’d pay 10x that for good content. I have probably a dozen various streaming subscriptions. I have no idea how to pay for this and how to download it. I’m sure it’s easy but I’m not sure I care. 

I miss them being on the ticket but I'm really intrigued by this on an observational level. Would love to see them be able to do it long term but will be fascinating to monitor their subs over the next 90 to 180 days to see if they have the big drop after the initial push wears off. Especially if they're still only doing a couple of shows a week and not giving anything else of note for the money. 

After seeing the references to reddit here I went over to check it and the funniest thing I saw was a comment on a post about supporting these poor abused guys. 

"For less than a dollar a day you can help support these affluent white males"

He has a tattoo of the Heady Topper logo from a brewery in Vermont called The Alchemist. It’s one of the highest rated beers in the US. I can confirm it’s really, really good. 

The beer is not distributed out of Vermont but I bet the bar/brewery they went to does some kind of program where people can bring in unique beers and trade for something else. And somehow he knew they had some on hand.

• Like 1

ee7dbfae242bc19a0c11765d6cbd9f52.gif

Actually….

Not to be that guy but I actually bought a 4 pack of Heady at a Whole Foods in Venice Beach about 4 years ago and have also had their Focal Banger (which I actually preferred vs Heady) at Father’s Office in Santa Monica around the same time. I think California (at least certain places in that general area) gets Alchemist beers fairly regularly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1