Who is the best defensive player for UT since 2000?

futureman

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

everyone expected gideon to shit the bed.  but not earl. 

C'mon man. Earl was a 19 year old safety trying to make a play on the best player on the field that night. If y'all are really going to hold the '08 Tech loss against Earl Thomas I feel like you're underselling and nitpicking his legacy. ET was nails the entire '09 season. We don't go 13-0 without him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jammer was so damn good for a few years. I’d put him at 7.

Everyone putting our NC DBs out there as greater. I get it. But when I think of the long storied tradition of DBU, and the hard hitting, knock a mother fucker out and take his lunch type of play that we expect, Jammer is the first to my mind. 

Bryant Westbrook also deserves a shout out. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

Derrick Johnson and no one else is close. That's not a knock on anyone else-- it's a testament to how fucking good DJ was. You could see it from game 1 his freshman year.

Not to knock DJ, but I'll say I remember having that exact thought with Earl.  That was the year we had an entirely new defensive backfield and I remember being in a slight panic heading into the season.  Then after game 1 I was like "we may not be in such trouble after all."

55 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Everyone putting our NC DBs out there as greater. I get it. But when I think of the long storied tradition of DBU, and the hard hitting, knock a mother fucker out and take his lunch type of play that we expect, Jammer is the first to my mind. 

Bryant Westbrook in 95 and 96 was as good as any CB we’ve had since we became DBU.  Not saying the best necessarily, but as good as....

Edited by Ignatius

38 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Bryant Westbrook in 95 and 96 was as good as any CB we’ve had since we became DBU.  Not saying the best necessarily, but as good as....

Had I remembered watching him growing up, I'd probably agree. Instead, Jammer was the first Texas DB I remember watching and that dude was a mercenary. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Since 2000.  A lot of players sort of run together but I can remember big hits from him in '96 against aggy and ND.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

DJ is top of the list. A few others that are in the top are definitely Michael Huff, the Griffins, Brian Robison, Sergio Kindle, Cory Redding 

michael.  

marcus may not be in our top 50 defensive players since 2000.  maybe top 100. 

Edited by futureman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

As for Huff and Griffin, I don't know. It depends on the criteria. Huff and Griffin weren't good enough to leave after 2 years. That makes it a little murky.

They both played as true freshmen, so they literally couldn’t have left after 2 years. As far as them leaving early, though, that’s not a good criteria for that era at Texas. No one left early. Johnson was a 4 year player and not because he couldn’t have left after 3.

7 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Probably, but Vacarro was a high first round draft pick unlike a ton of Texas players who were probably better.

He was great, but I would put him behind all of these guys:

Earl

Jammer

Vasher

CGriff

MGriff

Ross

Huff

Chykie

Curtis

Elliot

Holton

Aaron Williams

and possibly even Dak Pearson.

Edited by Fondren & Main

some of y'all are fucked up in your assessment of ET.

One play does not a career make...and it's not like Curtis Brown didn't whiff on the Crabtree play as well.

Holy crap, the fact that a young ET was on the field at that moment as a younger player for the vaunted DBU is an endorsement from hell ain't it?

Naw, not in some of your eyes.   'Member that play when he wasn't perfect?  F him...

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Recall that a hit by ET there would have just made it a field goal from the 2.  They had plenty of time.  

Crabtree scored with 1 second left.  And Tech cut it so close because they had a very unreliable FG kicker.

Plenty of other opportunities to win that game.

9 hours ago, Chad said:

DJ had a way of stripping the ball loose.

This comment on that video from 9 years ago gives me a sad: "yes he was and still is and we have and up and coming beast in jordan hicks possibly the next dj"

Edited by Eggo

14 hours ago, bullet said:

Crabtree scored with 1 second left.  And Tech cut it so close because they had a very unreliable FG kicker.

Plenty of other opportunities to win that game.

Matt Williams was 2/3 on FGA in that game, with the miss being blocked.  He was 33 of 33 on PATs for the year.

The KIcker not playing in that game, Donnie Carona, was 4/9 on the season on FGA;  and that performance actually precipitated the signing of Williams from the halftime contest early on in the season.  Williams would have nailed that kick most likely, alas, we didn’t have to find out... but he was more than capable.

Edited by slorch

15 hours ago, slorch said:

some of y'all are fucked up in your assessment of ET.

One play does not a career make...and it's not like Curtis Brown didn't whiff on the Crabtree play as well.

Holy crap, the fact that a young ET was on the field at that moment as a younger player for the vaunted DBU is an endorsement from hell ain't it?

Naw, not in some of your eyes.   'Member that play when he wasn't perfect?  F him...

An equally young Blake Gideon was also on the field at that time...so what's your point?