2018 Beer

HenryJames

It’s a perfectly acceptable Pilsner. Wasn’t blown away. Wasn’t disappointed.

So I summed it up well?

Hanging out with the wife on the east coast and we were taken to small nano type place. I knew things were right when they don’t offer an amber but have have 4 different NEIPA vairiants plus one wheat based ale for the wifey.

Not a brewery but went to Hop Scholar Ale House in Spring yesterday for the first time.   44 taps with 13 not being used.   Of the other 31 taps, easily 12-14 were sours.   Another 5-6 or so were ciders or radlers.   Not real impressive when you have that much specialty stuff.   They had 4 IPAs, no pales and almost nothing local.   I think there was one Brash and one B-52 on tap.   They're appealing to the people searching for the exotic.   I was sitting right near the register at the bar and at least 5 people walked up with their Untappd app open and the would rattle off 4 of the sours for a sample tray.   They've been open since 2014 so this model may work for them but I have to think with 44 taps, they need  better variety and more local.  

Ended up with an Alesmith West Coast IPA (traditional WC flavor, not bad, not great) and the Societe/Stone collaboration Skedaddler IPA (very citrusy with 7 hops (Citra, Idaho 7, Mosaic, Galaxy, Southern Cross, Ella and Magnum.)   Seems like overkill to me.   It was ok but I wont bother with it again.  

• Like 1

For those of you hopheads in the DFW area, definitely be on the lookout for/visit Turning Point Beer in Bedford. Great beers (IPA heavy in particular) in a strip mall that you would definitely just drive right past if you didn’t know to stop there. Was really impressed with 10 of the 12 beers we tried samplers of and bought 4 four packs of their canned beers (which I believe happens every week) to take home.

b20af90e276c348a2354efbb6ad73b73.jpg

9ac4caeab924c212bef87487b3dc9021.jpg

a954982b0bb481ebaf4542df003d30e5.jpg

a719ec0808d84dcf3b648f5c74e6a510.jpg

43d80a34326f3a9d1aab82d4c976fb1d.jpg

12 hours ago, mdleast said:

For those of you hopheads in the DFW area, definitely be on the lookout for/visit Turning Point Beer in Bedford. Great beers (IPA heavy in particular) in a strip mall that you would definitely just drive right past if you didn’t know to stop there. Was really impressed with 10 of the 12 beers we tried samplers of and bought 4 four packs of their canned beers (which I believe happens every week) to take home.

Did you try the Blueberry Pineapple African Dream Pop Gose?

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There was a newscast segment on Hi Sign hurting from the never ending road construction. Get out and support one of the breweries in town. Grab a Little Navigator. You won’t be disappointed.

Friend of the program, yadda yadda. Was out there on Sunday, new 3% wheat kettle sour was great and the BBQ truck in the back was outstanding and should be there for a while from what I was told (Courson’s). They had a “Texas wagyu” brisket available that basically melted, and the jalapeño cornbread waffles were a great side. And, one of the beers in the fermenter, as long as Instagram links work:

12.50 each. Are they that hard to find? I haven't been craft beer hunting in a long time.

That sounds about right $9-$10 for normal bba bottles and $12-13 for anniversary. All of the FSW and Deschutes stuff is easy to get in the NW, guess that includes Montana as well.

12.50 each. Are they that hard to find? I haven't been craft beer hunting in a long time.

That sounds about right $9-$10 for normal bba bottles and $12-13 for anniversary. All of the FSW and Deschutes stuff is easy to get in the NW, guess that includes Montana as well.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:18 AM, captained said:

Friend of the program, yadda yadda. Was out there on Sunday, new 3% wheat kettle sour was great and the BBQ truck in the back was outstanding and should be there for a while from what I was told (Courson’s). They had a “Texas wagyu” brisket available that basically melted, and the jalapeño cornbread waffles were a great side. And, one of the beers in the fermenter, as long as Instagram links work:

20180620_193206.jpg

Gotta say, I like the beer here

Edited by Texas007
Derrrrped

Stumbled on an HEB that was open, and they had Brazos Valley sixers for $6.99 and 12 packs for $12.99.

The bvb citra remains one of my go to beers. I did a blind taste test against last stand’s citra and the Bvb was the clear winner in my book. Fucking aggys.

14 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Stumbled on an HEB that was open, and they had Brazos Valley sixers for $6.99 and 12 packs for $12.99.

I got a six pack each of Pancho and Lefty last week. They weren't on sale, I guess because they're the "B Side" or whatever.

All the federales say Lefty was OK, but Pancho laid Lefty low this day.  Brazos Valley is a nice little brewery. 

On 6/18/2018 at 11:36 PM, CooterBrown said:

There was a newscast segment on Hi Sign hurting from the never ending road construction. Get out and support one of the breweries in town. Grab a Little Navigator. You won’t be disappointed.

I was out there  on Saturday. Yeah, the traffic is a real beating right now but it's not like that's a stellar location even in the best of times. The set up is decent once you get there though. I hope they're not dependent on tap room sales to stay in business because I really, really like this brewery.  My current Austin favorite, actually.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:18 AM, captained said:

Yes, that brisket was damned good. I don't know if I got the wagyu or not - was there an option?  Whatever I had was fantastic.

The bartender talked me into a splash of strawberry syrup in the sour wheat sampler I had. He said it came out a bit on the sour side. After that I got a full pint straight up and while it does smack you in the face, I didn't think it was too sour. Apparently they also made a sour Shamus but didn't keep any kegs at the brewery.  I think he said Which Craft had some.  

Little Navigator and the Astronaut are still the leaders in the clubhouse, though. I cussed myself all the way home for forgetting to bring the growler.

Edited by El Guapo

Local and regional options have improved so much over the past couple of years and it’s still improving. And right now everyone is chasing hazies at $3-4 a tall boy. The ones who are going to be hurting are the big breweries trying to get bigger with a larger distro footprint.

• Like 1