Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

On 9/20/2022 at 10:44 AM, MeerkatBong said:

Just binged this; it's awesome. Bill Hader is a beast. The ability for this show to go from dramatic and tense to comedic and absurd, from scene to scene, and have it work, is amazing and why this show is special to me.

Bill Hader has just been a wonderfully pleasant surprise with his turn and dramatic chops. He was always likeable and hilarious, but his embodiment of Barry and the range of emotional and psychological trauma is so believably authentic and good.

And I maintain that intermixing the dramatic and tense with the comedic and absurd is difficult and rewarding when pulled off, and it lands most often for me.

I know that Barry is this weird animal and doesn't quite check a box, but it is right in HBO's pre-merger/max wheelhouse, and while it will probably never get the commercial eyeballs and success and critical acclaim that I think it deservers, I can't see how this doesn't springboard Bill Hader into being able to write his own ticket for whatever he wants to do moving forward. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about him being nominated for an Oscar one day.

So, it's been a week since the first two episodes aired, and no comments on this?  Is anybody watching, or watched and were underwhelmed.  I finally got around to watching yesterday, and thought the first two were a much better start than last year.  They look to be setting up story lines exploring unexpected consequences.  Not great, but solid episodes, and I look forward to seeing how the season plays out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

So, it's been a week since the first two episodes aired, and no comments on this?  Is anybody watching, or watched and were underwhelmed.  I finally got around to watching yesterday, and thought the first two were a much better start than last year.  They look to be setting up story lines exploring unexpected consequences.  Not great, but solid episodes, and I look forward to seeing how the season plays out.

I had the same thought; I think the concept is probably a bit too experimental of a blend to keep focus and eyeballs. 

9 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Binged this entire series over the weekend and loved every bit of it. You fickle MF’ers complaining about season 3, wtf? That shit was awesome - with the exception of maybe the first 2 episodes, every bit as good as Season 1 and 2.

TV fan are ya? Well, we'll call you...Groove Tube!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Agreed-- I think Bill Hader will be an Oscar winner (actor and/or director) in the short-to-midterm.

Also, I haven't finished this episode, but the way the camera zoomed out and having the same actor as Sy Abelman, I thought to myself "wow this looks exactly like that scene in A Serious Man (one of my favorite movies) when he wrecks and dies", and not 2 seconds later he wrecks.

This show is fantastic. I've simply been overtaken in a way that I haven't in a very long time, with something so interesting and great. This season is a master class.

If you agree even partially, a must read is this New Yorker interview with Bill Hader that came out over the weekend. It's a fascinating story, his journey from production assistant to director, from a nobody to SNL in 2 years, he talks about Barry and Berg and, of course, he would be friends with George Saunders:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/bill-hader-just-wants-to-make-weird-things?

11 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Real or dream sequence?

I'm thinking the whole episode was a dream sequence.  There was just enough "weirdness" about it that made it dream-like, such as standing watch outside his house from dark until dawn without moving, the interactions with his son, etc.  Also, there is no way that Cousineau could have survived on his own in the wilderness for eight years, especially after having had his little accident in the previous episode, right?  The man couldn't even order his own food if left alone.

It would suck if it was still a funny murder show four seasons in. I’m along for the ride but was surprised that the flash forward persisted through this episode and likely the series.

There’s a metaphor with their immaculate prefab home out in the dust and their bullshit of having changed at all. Sally hasn’t murdered anyone yet, right?

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

There’s a metaphor with their immaculate prefab home out in the dust and their bullshit of having changed at all. Sally hasn’t murdered anyone yet, right?

Didn't she stab someone in the neck and kill them with a baseball bat? It was in self-defense ish, but I'm pretty sure she killed that dude and Barry got rid of the body.

The time jump fucked this show up. It's just too unbelievable. Am i really supposed to believe that Janice Moss' dad hasn't aged one bit in like 15 years? That he is capable still of knocking out a full grown man and dragging the dead weight to his basement without being noticed?

Hell, forget that even. The dude is capable of torturing a guy into speaking German but he can't track down Barry? Bullshit. Bullshit all around, what a stupid story line.

Edited by Pam Cummings

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The time jump fucked this show up. It's just too unbelievable. Am i really supposed to believe that Janice Moss' dad hasn't aged one bit in like 15 years? That he is capable still of knocking out a full grown man and dragging the dead weight to his basement without being noticed?

Hell, forget that even. The dude is capable of torturing a guy into speaking German but he can't track down Barry? Bullshit. Bullshit all around, what a stupid story line.

I don't think there was a time jump.  I believe last week's episode, and most of this week's was all a fantasy inside Barry's head.  That last image of Barry and Janice's dad sitting face to face was back to present time.  At least, that's my theory.

I gotta say.... I'm having a difficult time liking this season. The show has lost most of the dark comedy, and now it's just mostly dark. And quite honestly, the storyline and show really doesn't quite work without the comedy part. Post-prison Fuches Raven was cool, but the whole Hank/Fuches confrontation seemed off and the Sally / kid / vodka / attack thing was tough to watch.

If it was a dream sequence and not a time jump, then it all seems excessive. And what's the payoff? I'm going to keep watching because I'm invested and it's almost done, but I'm not really digging it.

Usually dream sequences are a lot shorter and less detailed. Like what's the point of developing scenes/stories from John and Sally's standpoint if it's in Barry's head? I think it is for real.

Sally is weirdly sexier though with the dark hair.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Agree, hard to believe they'd devote 2 episodes and so many storylines to a dream sequence.   Speaking of Sally, she is just awful, I always want to fast forward thru her scenes but am afraid I'd miss something.   I did enjoy this week more than the previous episode.  I assume the guy that attacked Sally and rammed the house, the guy from the restaurant she worked at?  What a bizarre scene. 

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

I don't think there was a time jump.  I believe last week's episode, and most of this week's was all a fantasy inside Barry's head.  That last image of Barry and Janice's dad sitting face to face was back to present time.  At least, that's my theory.

I’ll hate that if true, but…..

Barry seemed like younger Barry (the hair) when they pulled the mask off.  May have just been messed up from the mask but he seemed like the younger version in that quick shot.