Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

Probably a blown coverage. And it may not have even been Green's man. I expect fewer and fewer blown coverages as we move into the fall.

brandon-jones-sjsu.jpeg

nrw-ut-tulsa-football-28.jpg

usa_today_11259773.0.jpg

Just a couple of dudes missing in the secondary this Spring that we will have in the Fall. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I'm a believer in the DL depth for 2019, but it needs Roach and Ossai to be difference makers the offense has to game-plan for. Roach kicks the OLs ass in practice, fwiw. 

I like our depth a lot, just not sure we have an all-conference level guy on the DL. I’d say Roach and Coburn are our best bets, but I’m skeptical of Roach til I see him produce at DL. He got swallowed up there a lot in 2017, and he was solid towards the end of last year but nothing spectacular. In his 5 games back after injury, he only had 1.5 TFL and 0 sacks.

He’s not particularly long, and he’s not all that explosive compared to other shorter guys who’ve had success being undersized on the DL, like Poona or Ed Oliver. He’ll need to make a big jump this offseason, which certainly could happen with him spending the whole offseason dedicated to DL play, but him moving around so much has made him a jack of all trades, master of none so far.

I wasn’t counting Ossai as DL, since he’s primarily an OLB, but I do expect him to be really good and a huge difference maker.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Ah - damn where was he?!!?

But really, Brandon Jones needs to be out there in shorts schooling these guys

Who says he’s not? I would assume he’s still with the team even though he’s injured right now.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who says he’s not? I would assume he’s still with the team even though he’s injured right now.

Hope so, I know he's the on-the-field coach and leader in the secondary. So even if he can't be on-the-field he should be helping coach. May even be kind of good for him to stand back and watch and refine the mental game with his time injured.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
1 hour ago, Fud said:

I like our depth a lot, just not sure we have an all-conference level guy on the DL. I’d say Roach and Coburn are our best bets, but I’m skeptical of Roach til I see him produce at DL. He got swallowed up there a lot in 2017, and he was solid towards the end of last year but nothing spectacular. In his 5 games back after injury, he only had 1.5 TFL and 0 sacks.

He’s not particularly long, and he’s not all that explosive compared to other shorter guys who’ve had success being undersized on the DL, like Poona or Ed Oliver. He’ll need to make a big jump this offseason, which certainly could happen with him spending the whole offseason dedicated to DL play, but him moving around so much has made him a jack of all trades, master of none so far.

I won't fault someone for waiting to see it to believe it, but I'm giving him a bit of a pass for not being old at a grown man's position previously, frequently being moved around to different positions like b-backer and even off the ball backer to start last year, and then coming back from turf toe which robs explosiveness, agility, and ability to leverage. Being healthy and having a full offseason to work at this position has me bullish on his ability to be an impact player, but again, I won't fault someone for being skeptical. 

• Like 5

One other thought on McCulloch, I’m glad to hear he’s doing well in spring, but him being clearly our best LB right now is probably les than ideal. 

He was terrible at ILB last year. Now in his defense, he bulked up to 255 to play B-Backer and didn’t rep solely at ILB last offseason, but he’s gonna have to read the play better and play much, much faster. His eye discilpine was terrible last year. He didn’t just take false steps, but he actively went the wrong way all too often. 

If you go to 1:02 in this video, 

you see he takes three steps the wrong way becuase he sees the WR faking the reverse, even though the WR’s not his responsibility at that point and all the OL are going the opposite way. It’s one thing to freeze for a second when seeing that but he takes like 3 whole steps left before he realizes it, and then doesn’t do much to get back in the play.

the next play, he has a terrible drop and looks around frantically, instead of dropping fluidly and surveying the field in front of him. He didn’t mess up on the play, but if he’s not looking around so frantically, he might be able to react much quicker and make the pick. He has a much better drop on 2nd down. On 3rd down, he’s the weak side LB and is the only unblocked guy in the formation. He doesn’t read the play wel at all and stays still instead of flowing play side, then tries to cut under and has no chance. If he flows to the play and then gets down the line, he probably makes the stop on third down. 

Anyways, I’m not writing this to bash him. Like I said above, he was playing at a heavier weight and repping mostly at B-backer, but I think people underestimate how much work our defense will need just to get back to where it was last year. We lose a ton of starters, and will probably be worse on D to start the year than last year. Hopefully our young guys and new starters progress and we’re better down the stretch than last year, but LSU, OK St., and OU could be rough defensively. 

On the bright side, I think our Offense will be much better and more able to carry us early when we need it. Sam is a year better, our OL will be better and could be much, much better than last year (though replacing 3 starters could take sole time to get to that level), and I think we’ll be much more explosive and capable of making big plays unlike last year.  Dicker and Bujcevski being second year guys should help a lot too. Bujcevski, especially, progressed a ton as the year went on, so a whole offseason plus an improved offense should make a big difference in our field position and help the defense out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

I won't fault someone for waiting to see it to believe it, but I'm giving him a bit of a pass for not being old at a grown man's position previously, frequently being moved around to different positions like b-backer and even off the ball backer to start last year, and then coming back from turf toe which robs explosiveness, agility, and ability to leverage. Being healthy and having a full offseason to work at this position has me bullish on his ability to be an impact player, but again, I won't fault someone for being skeptical. 

Yep. All legitimate factors for why he hasn’t produced at DL so far. He’s definitely got a chance to make an Omenihu-type leap.

I wish we would got to see him go against Cosmi in the spring game. Getting to see him winning against Cosmi would make me believe a lot more in his development,  but I think Herman said it’ll be 1’s v 2’s and our second OL is a big drop off right now, so that won’t be too useful.

One other thought on McCulloch, I’m glad to hear he’s doing well in spring, but him being clearly our best LB right now is probably les than ideal. 

He was terrible at ILB last year. Now in his defense, he bulked up to 255 to play B-Backer and didn’t rep solely at ILB last offseason, but he’s gonna have to read the play better and play much, much faster. His eye discilpine was terrible last year. He didn’t just take false steps, but he actively went the wrong way all too often. 

If you go to 1:02 in this video, 

you see he takes three steps the wrong way becuase he sees the WR faking the reverse, even though the WR’s not his responsibility at that point and all the OL are going the opposite way. It’s one thing to freeze for a second when seeing that but he takes like 3 whole steps left before he realizes it, and then doesn’t do much to get back in the play.

the next play, he has a terrible drop and looks around frantically, instead of dropping fluidly and surveying the field in front of him. He didn’t mess up on the play, but if he’s not looking around so frantically, he might be able to react much quicker and make the pick. He has a much better drop on 2nd down. On 3rd down, he’s the weak side LB and is the only unblocked guy in the formation. He doesn’t read the play wel at all and stays still instead of flowing play side, then tries to cut under and has no chance. If he flows to the play and then gets down the line, he probably makes the stop on third down. 

Anyways, I’m not writing this to bash him. Like I said above, he was playing at a heavier weight and repping mostly at B-backer, but I think people underestimate how much work our defense will need just to get back to where it was last year. We lose a ton of starters, and will probably be worse on D to start the year than last year. Hopefully our young guys and new starters progress and we’re better down the stretch than last year, but LSU, OK St., and OU could be rough defensively. 

On the bright side, I think our Offense will be much better and more able to carry us early when we need it. Sam is a year better, our OL will be better and could be much, much better than last year (though replacing 3 starters could take sole time to get to that level), and I think we’ll be much more explosive and capable of making big plays unlike last year.  Dicker and Bujcevski being second year guys should help a lot too. Bujcevski, especially, progressed a ton as the year went on, so a whole offseason plus an improved offense should make a big difference in our field position and help the defense out.

Another Texas LB that will be better in the league than he was at Texas.

How many positions has he played here?

He was a rush OLB in HS... Played with speed and power... Now, it seems, he's been asked to do too much... Gain weight, lose weight, cross train, diagnose from every position. Cover the flat. Cover the curl. Cover the rpo.

He should have been the QB chaser and play disruptor... We'll see what he is this year, then see what type of OLB he is in the NFL...

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Another Texas LB that will be better in the league than he was at Texas.

How many positions has he played here?

He was a rush OLB in HS... Played with speed and power... Now, it seems, he's been asked to do too much... Gain weight, lose weight, cross train, diagnose from every position. Cover the flat. Cover the curl. Cover the rpo.

He should have been the QB chaser and play disruptor... We'll see what he is this year, then see what type of OLB he is in the NFL...

That’s what they wanted him to be last year, but he just flat out wasn’t good at it.

He played a good bit of ILB in HS and he was always a versatile prospect, so hopefully it can work, but yeah, as if it needs to be said, all the staff and scheme changes in the last ten years have not been a good thing for the players’ development.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s still a far cry from multiple years of Dylan Haines starting at safety, Marcus Hutchins and Tristan Nickelson playing LT, true freshmen QBs and OL starting every year because the older guys were terrible, etc.

bbf30f9c64da19d189d509f1c35fcdd1_w200.gi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

And while LB is a legitimate concern, it is nice to be at a place where our problem position will probably be starting a 4th year guy (Shark) and a 2nd year guy with a power lifter body (Dele), both of whom were national top 100 recruits.  That’s still a far cry from multiple years of Dylan Haines starting at safety, Marcus Hutchins and Tristan Nickelson playing LT, true freshmen QBs and OL starting every year because the older guys were terrible, etc.

Yep, and hopefully our improved offense makes opponents work a little harder to keep up.

10 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm a believer in the DL depth for 2019, but it needs Roach and Ossai to be difference makers the offense has to game-plan for. Roach kicks the OLs ass in practice, fwiw. 

do you know what roach is weighing?  and at what weight he will play in the fall?

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hmm. The only way that makes sense is if Texas doctors and Herman basically said "Listen, you'll never play again here at Texas, we won't be responsible for anything bad happening to you" and Floyd is pulling a Jarvis Jones and going to where they'll let him do whatever the fuck he wants. 1) I'm not sure Texas would make a proclamation like that if the kid was intent on playing no matter what, and 2.) would Floyd really be looking to bolt already after not even 1 season? Because if it's a medical doctor's opinion, I don't see why he'd have to leave UT to get a second opinion from another doctor. Seems...weird. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hmm. The only way that makes sense is if Texas doctors and Herman basically said "Listen, you'll never play again here at Texas, we won't be responsible for anything bad happening to you" and Floyd is pulling a Jarvis Jones and going to where they'll let him do whatever the fuck he wants. 1) I'm not sure Texas would make a proclamation like that if the kid was intent on playing no matter what, and 2.) would Floyd really be looking to bolt already after not even 1 season? Because if it's a medical doctor's opinion, I don't see why he'd have to leave UT to get a second opinion from another doctor. Seems...weird. 

That was my thought. If it's true he's probably looking somewhere else that will medically clear him. 

Hell, Floyd might think he's capable of playing this year and doesn't need to sit out. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'd rather us give our recommendation and then have him get clearance from a doctor and have him sign a waiver if he's intends on playing.  I know nothing about spinal stenosis but have read conflicting reports.  I have no doubt that Herman sits on the overly cautious side when it comes to injuries.   This is based on the assumption that the doctors are being overly cautious.  At this point, I highly doubt he ever plays here again.  He's already been told he won't play this next year and I doubt we clear him afterwards.

Edited by victory88

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I'd rather us give us our recommendation and then have him get clearance from a doctor and have him sign a waiver if he's intends on playing.  I know nothing about spinal stenosis but have read conflicting reports.  I have no doubt that Herman sits on the overly cautious side when it comes to injuries.  

Would you allow yourself to introduce yourself as well?

• Like 3

I know nothing about the injury but when the diagnosis is "we will reevaluate you again in January" that isn't a great sign. It doesn't sound like Herman is all that optimistic that Floyd will play again (at least at Texas). 

If the response was more "yeah he's going to sit out for 8 months but we expect him back" I would have more optimism about Floyd returning. 

TFB team notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-9th/

Team Notes | Sourced 
– Super K

***Source raved about the continued development of Keaontay Ingram. One source actually said, “I’d be surprised if there is a better back in the Big 12”.

Given how well he played as a true freshman, not sure that should be a big shock, especially considering the biggest jump guys take is often between freshman and sophomore year.

***Was told that Jordan Whittington and Keaontay Ingram in the game at the same time is going to be very dangerous. In part, because they can put Whittington in motion as a wide receiver (dictating the defensive personnel with both backs in) forcing a linebacker to cover Whittington.

Whittington is playing running back but he’s a natural wide receiver. That is going to be a very difficult cover for a linebacker.

***Hearing great things about Malcolm Epps, as well. Was told to expect Collin on one side and Malcolm on the other side to be a real problem. 

Description of Malcolm is that he’s showing off his basketball background – fluidity, body control and ability to adjust to the ball.

Was told he’s already just as much of a red zone threat as Collin is. Was also told that Malcolm may end up being better than both Collin and Lil Jordan when you consider where he already is at this point in his career.

Source added that he’s going to be able to take advantage of the fact that the best DB will be covering Collin. Should allow Malcolm to pick up the production.

***A guy I was told to keep an eye on at the cornerback spot is D’Shawn Jamison. Was told he’s been getting some reps with the 1s and at times looks like the best corner out there. 

***I am told Bru McCoy did participate in the scrimmage.

***Also, told Jordan Whittington ripped off a pretty big run.

***Keontay Ingram with a long touchdown run “showing great balance and change of direction”

*** (From Will) More on Bru. I am told he had 8 catches and 2 TD. That sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

That was my thought. If it's true he's probably looking somewhere else that will medically clear him. 

Hell, Floyd might think he's capable of playing this year and doesn't need to sit out. 

I mentioned this in his thread yesterday, but there’s a decent chance we become the USC to Floyd’s UGA.

I’m ok with it. If our doctors aren’t comfortable clearing him and he wants to play and he can find a school that will legitimately clear him and he can manage it, then good for him.

I just hope some shit institution, like LSU, doesn’t just auto-clear him and say, “fuck it, not my spine” only for him to suffer a serious injury.

48 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB team notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-9th/

Hide contents

Team Notes | Sourced 
– Super K

***Source raved about the continued development of Keaontay Ingram. One source actually said, “I’d be surprised if there is a better back in the Big 12”.

Given how well he played as a true freshman, not sure that should be a big shock, especially considering the biggest jump guys take is often between freshman and sophomore year.

***Was told that Jordan Whittington and Keaontay Ingram in the game at the same time is going to be very dangerous. In part, because they can put Whittington in motion as a wide receiver (dictating the defensive personnel with both backs in) forcing a linebacker to cover Whittington.

Whittington is playing running back but he’s a natural wide receiver. That is going to be a very difficult cover for a linebacker.

***Hearing great things about Malcolm Epps, as well. Was told to expect Collin on one side and Malcolm on the other side to be a real problem. 

Description of Malcolm is that he’s showing off his basketball background – fluidity, body control and ability to adjust to the ball.

Was told he’s already just as much of a red zone threat as Collin is. Was also told that Malcolm may end up being better than both Collin and Lil Jordan when you consider where he already is at this point in his career.

Source added that he’s going to be able to take advantage of the fact that the best DB will be covering Collin. Should allow Malcolm to pick up the production.

***A guy I was told to keep an eye on at the cornerback spot is D’Shawn Jamison. Was told he’s been getting some reps with the 1s and at times looks like the best corner out there. 

***Keontay Ingram with a long touchdown run “showing great balance and change of direction”

*** (From Will) More on Bru. I am told he had 8 catches and 2 TD. That sounds pretty good.

I posted about this at the time, but the versatility we added to our O with guys like Whittington and Smith (who can credibly play both RB and WR, essentially) and a pass catching TE in Liebrock will allow us to force the defense into choosing which terrible matchup they want to allow each to play. A LB will be stuck covering at least one of those three if not more, or if they go light, we can motion into 3 guys in the backfield and run it down their throats.

Looks like that’s gonna start early with Whittington. When you throw the reported development of a monster like Epps and Hand in charge of the OL, this offense is going to be dominant in the years to come.

no one talks about it much, but the advantage of roster size in college allows for so much more versatility than the NFL. With guys like Liebrock, Wiley, Whittington, and Smith, we can run 5 wide just as easily as a heavy set and never have to make a single substitution. Herman will have the tools to craft a completely different gameplay for each opponent, and relatedly, DCs trying to game plan for our O will have hopelessly difficult time trying to guess how we plan to beat them. This will really show in early season big games and postseason games, when Herman gets a month or more to create all sorts of packages and formations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Team Notes | Sourced 
– Super K

So Bru had 8 rec and 2TD while not participating? Holy shit, this guy is even better than advertised!!!

• Haha 2