Beto 2020

bad_teammate

You realize that this is a message board from the state of Texas and many of us who think your general views on this subject are stupid are also owners of ARs and multiple other guns, right? This isn't SurlyTrojans.com - I'd wager that 90% of this board owns guns, even the evil liberals.
My gov Prof at UT: of course I own a gun, I'm a liberal in Texas

I'm told the line for his talk tomorrow morning at Paramount Theater is already forming.  I want to go hear him out on gun violence, but daddy needs his sleepy time.  I bet there's a 5,000 person line by sunrise.  No bullshit.  

I saw Briscoe Cain and Chris Hayes in the same room yesterday, it was mind bottling.  Between the two of them, I don’t know if they have as much testosterone as Maddow.

anyway, how’d the Beto talk go this morning?   The line was already forming overnight so I’m guessing the crowd was insane?

• 3 weeks later...

Meh. It was. Then the morons realized they outnumber the rest of us, and made good on it.
Also, I had no idea that Bama Chick was a cute young Hispanic gal. smile.png

Not so young anymore and not Hispanic, but I’ll take the cute part!

Nothing but a bunch of Irish, English, and Scottish ancestors. I do have olive skin and tan very easily so we’ve always assumed there was some ancestor who got busy with a Native American along the way. (Holla Liz!)

The four of us in focus in this picture did get asked a few times if we were related. We joked Beto Babes must be a type.

91c9ad452ad5a63e209fb822e03c81dd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Xian said:

Not surprised. Went from having averagely liberal Texas like me love him to ehh over his taking the guns talk.   I’m even that big of a gun guy. I own one shotgun. 

As a big gun guy myself (I like guns themselves and own a lot of them, way too many of them), don't cry for me, Argentina.

I've got AR-15s in gun safes in two different states. There are two guns I would be genuinely sad about losing, and neither of them is a semi-auto rifle that could easily perforate and cavitate your internal organs at 500 yards.

#1 is my black walnut and damascus Citori that is so pretty I can't put it in a safe, so I keep it in my home office on the wall
#2 is the little Mossberg SBS I've got a stamp on (don't know why I love the little guy, but I do)

The AR is a wonderful gun. It's easy, accurate, and you can teach kids on them very easily (as I am known for doing in my family up in the Wasatch mountains over family holidays). It's extensible and a very often a fun engineering and tinkering project. It's an ugly and functional thing, which has its own charm.

But it's also perfect for mass murder. Give me and an 8th grader a few hours with an AR and I can get him hitting targets at an accuracy and speed that would make headlines if those targets were people.

I talked about it back on the Shag (RIP) and was mocked mercilessly for it, but the idea of those ARs just filtering around my family after I die terrifies me. I know those damn things are far more likely to kill a member of my own family than to protect them. Beto buying them off me with some tax dollars would take a burden off my mind. (I already have it in my will that all my guns will be disabled/destroyed.)

• Like 2

Beto-out-of-race.jpg?auto=compress&crop=

Photo: Mario Tama/Staff/Getty

We gather today to say a hearty RIP to the Beto O’Rourke political project, helmed by one Beto O’Rourke, who ran one of the most remarkable Senate campaigns and one of the most underwhelming presidential campaigns in modern American history—all in the space of about 31 months. 

Late on a Friday afternoon, O’Rourke and his loved ones made the decision to pull the plug, releasing a Medium post explaining why. “Though it is difficult to accept, it is clear to me now that this campaign does not have the means to move forward successfully,” he wrote. “My service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.” 

This had an undeniable logic to it, but it still came as a surprise to O’Rourke’s fans, like the ones gathered to support him at a Lincoln-Jefferson fundraising dinner in Iowa. Dave Weigel of the Washington Post was there for it: passionate Beto-heads consoling each other under a dismal grey sky with their homemade signs along the Des Moines waterfront. Politics is rough.

As his presidential campaign spiraled down, Beto became something of a punchline for many national Democrats. It became increasingly easy to lose sight of what he had managed to do in Texas. His Senate campaign—he pledges now he’ll never make another—was one of the most unexpectedly vibrant Democratic efforts in decades. 

Before the glossy magazine profiles and pro-Beto signs as far afield as Boston, Seattle, and Chicago, he just got in his truck and started driving around, talking to people in small rooms with earnest, occasionally corny speeches about the Constitution and our obligations to each other, and a complicated theory about his plan for the campaign based on his experiences in the El Paso punk scene of the early 1990s. It was charming in a way few things in Texas politics are charming. On election night 2018, despite his 2.6 loss to Ted Cruz, it felt as if he had somehow conquered the place.

And then he went looking for a bigger record label. His style didn’t translate. He could have learned from his old nemesis Ted Cruz, spending every waking hour meeting every possible voter in Iowa, as he did in Texas. He instead launched his race with Vanity Fair, the very opposite of punk, complete with an Annie Liebovitz spread and some pull quotes that didn’t make O’Rourke sound especially serious. I’m just born to be in it, man! The stuff that made him sound like an appealingly goofy Gen X dad made him sound unprepared when it was soundbited and snippeted in the media, and it didn’t help that, on the basis of his thin resume, he seemed seriously unprepared to wield the terrible power of the presidency.

-----

it was not going to happen. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
Fuck it. There's the mess
  • Like 2

He didn’t drop out because of the assault rifle thing.  Don’t let that be the narrative.  He started a worthy conversation though, and I say that as a pro-2nd amendment libertarian who is a pro marksman rated cat, owning a grant total of zero firearms.   

$50 still says he runs against George P for governor on the next two cycles.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Xian said:

Lol. In what way?  For voting Beto against Cruz or now supporting mayor Pete?  

I mean.  Come on.  

If his stance on guns is that big of a deal then you are a single issue voter that admittedly doesn’t have all that much riding on said issue.  That’s a big fucking problem considering all the shit going on these days.

5 hours ago, Xian said:

Not surprised. Went from having averagely liberal Texas like me love him to ehh over his taking the guns talk.   I’m even that big of a gun guy. I own one shotgun. 

Agree completely.  I saw Beto early in the campaign, and when the subject of guns came up he brought up the 2nd amendment and actually kind of tsk tsked a woman who was very pro gun control.  If Beto had done more hunting over in Juarez (and gotten those hunting pictures all over social media), or at least figured out how to keep his powder dry until the vote, he would have won the Senate race.

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If his stance on guns is that big of a deal then you are a single issue voter that admittedly doesn’t have all that much riding on said issue.  That’s a big fucking problem considering all the shit going on these days.

Beto ran like a single issue candidate. He was easily dismissed by those that disagreed with that one issue. Dude was a very shitty candidate and set himself up for failure time after time. With all of the shit going on right now no one should have taken Beto's campaign seriously.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The planet is dying, kids are getting mass murdered in their schools, wealth inequality is catching 3rd world levels, tens of thousands of people are dying without health insurance, but...

we gotta make sure we can have at least 4 dozen of these apiece.

StagM2L-1__71933.1550770372.380.500.JPG?

#Freedom

• Like 1

Wtf.  Y’all are acting like I voted for trump or Cruz over Beto. I’ve done neither. 

I simply aligned myself with another Democrat that more closely matches my points. Right now that is Pete, but I also am taking a hard look at Warren.  How the fuck am I single issue voter?  Isn’t this what primaries are for??

On 11/1/2019 at 11:10 PM, tantric superman said:

Agree completely.  I saw Beto early in the campaign, and when the subject of guns came up he brought up the 2nd amendment and actually kind of tsk tsked a woman who was very pro gun control.  If Beto had done more hunting over in Juarez (and gotten those hunting pictures all over social media), or at least figured out how to keep his powder dry until the vote, he would have won the Senate race.

Lolz your last sentence...  so being candid and honest sunk him?

‘He should have misrepresented his stance until after the election’. Is your solution?

He went hard left to try and get out of the boxed in spot he was in. Pete took his votes from the LGBTQ community, the far left has Bernie and Warren, centrists like Biden more.

He lost because he’s green and because he tried to leave the media out of his campaign. There isn’t a media apparatus in Texas like in DC and nationally and his big splash included a perceived f you to them so it never took off. They drug it down.

His apology tour wasn’t helpful either.

He went hard left to try and get out of the boxed in spot he was in. Pete took his votes from the LGBTQ community, the far left has Bernie and Warren, centrists like Biden more.

He lost because he’s green and because he tried to leave the media out of his campaign. There isn’t a media apparatus in Texas like in DC and nationally and his big splash included a perceived f you to them so it never took off. They drug it down.

He went hard left to try and get out of the boxed in spot he was in. Pete took his votes from the LGBTQ community, the far left has Bernie and Warren, centrists like Biden more. He lost because he’s green and because he tried to leave the media out of his campaign. There isn’t a media apparatus in Texas like in DC and nationally and his big splash included a perceived f you to them so it never took off. They drug it down.

I don’t agree with the middle paragraph. Obama effectively won and governed without access media coordination. Shit, Trump’s digital operation is built on lessons learned from Obama’s campaigns. You can tell the media fuck you if you can generate your own news, because covering news is something they are required to do. Obama and Trump generated their own news.  

Beto couldn’t. He tried, but his many appeals seemed desperate and grasping or in the case of the apology tour, boring and self-indulgent. He got exactly the coverage he earned.

He seems to have not learned anything from the Senate campaign. After the loss to Ted Cruz He needed to either get his old seat in Congress back or run for Senate or Gov or (better yet) Land Commissioner.

He had so much promise. I have no idea why he did this. It’s a shame.

Beto did the right thing.  Other dem candidates should read the writing on the wall and drop out.  If you’re polling a few pct points, your chance of winning is zero.  Better to get out now than waste yours and other time for another 3 Months.

im sure candidates are told by advisors that it’s relatively low risk to your future options by staying in, but they should stop bilking their true believers for an impossible task. 

• Like 4

On 11/2/2019 at 8:53 AM, F250 said:

He was easily dismissed by those that disagreed with that one issue.

And there are ALOT of voters on BOTH sides to piss off on that particular singular issue.  Then add in the 180* change in his politics from less than a year prior, and boom. Portrays and indecisive (untruthful?) look on a divisive issue. Recipe for poor results. 

12 hours ago, Iceman said:

Lolz your last sentence...  so being candid and honest sunk him?

‘He should have misrepresented his stance until after the election’. Is your solution?

Read the first part of the sentence.  No, I would rather he had an honest position that structured some parameters around the second amendment.  In terms of just winning the election, of course misrepresentation is often a method of winning an election.  Doesn't mean that's a solution -- except to the idea of how he wins.