New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

I’ve always liked Guadalajara Hacienda too. Any of the places with good tortillas and the garlic butter are just nostalgic and hard to find outside of Houston 

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Los Tios is fine. Its very “small town tex mex spot” feel and quality.

Lupe is the best texmex chain for the price. Fite me. Pappasitos is the best overall chain, but a tad more expensive than Lupe. Chuys used to be good but the last two times ive been to the one on Westheimer, it was meh. All the places in the heights are similar quality, minus Superica

Ninfas on navigation is still the best TexMex joint in the state

The original Lupe’s on 6 is probably my favorite Tex Mex spot in the city. I’d eat there a couple times a week if I worked at BP. Quality and prices are better than any other location. 

My second favorite place I’ll keep to myself. It’s in a very busy part of town, but it’s abandoned at lunch during the week. I’d like to keep it that way. 

• Haha 1

I’ll give Urbe some love on here. Best guacamole I’ve ever eaten. It has some very niche menu items, but they also knock the classics out of the park. 

An additional shout out to Guadalajara. It is what is there, but their bacon wrapped quail is the best. 

I mentioned Mi Somberero in the Tex Mex thread. The Tommy Tacos are a 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The original Lupe’s on 6 is probably my favorite Tex Mex spot in the city. I’d eat there a couple times a week if I worked at BP. Quality and prices are better than any other location. 

My second favorite place I’ll keep to myself. It’s in a very busy part of town, but it’s abandoned at lunch during the week. I’d like to keep it that way. 

That's a great idea for a lunch spot that you love, make sure they don't improve their revenue so they'll go out of business!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Candente fajitas are the best available right now. Queso, salsa and chips as well are better than the usual spots. How was Bar Bludorn @Fud?

Candente ribeye fajitas are fucking delicious. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Le Jardinier blows March out of the water and is like half the price

Le Jardinier is the best fine dining in Houston, IMO. It hits all the notes and the attention to detail is unmatched in the city. Even the olive oil they serve with the bread is amazing. I love taking out of towners there for dinner. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s worth the risk to me. They do a lot of catering and weekend brunch business. They’ll be fine. 

Unless your lunch secret is a corporate chain, you have to admit it’s kind of a dick move to a small business owner working on extremely thin margins.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think we’d all be wise to stop ordering fajitas and go back to the old school combo plates at little neighborhood places. 

I've been going to the same family-owned neighborhood Tex-Mex place since I was in high school.  It's now my daughter's favorite Tex-Mex place.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've been going to the same family-owned neighborhood Tex-Mex place since I was in high school.  It's now my daughter's favorite Tex-Mex place.

you’re raising her right !

46 minutes ago, royiv said:

Unless your lunch secret is a corporate chain, you have to admit it’s kind of a dick move to a small business owner working on extremely thin margins.

It’s imbecilic. It’s not as though posting on surly is going to blow up his spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The owner owns a bunch of restaurants + a catering business. He’s  doing fine. 

Since you know him, let him know you’re actively discouraging people from patronizing one of his establishments the next time you see him. Report back on his reaction.

5 minutes ago, mycox said:

Sounds like he's talking about Cuchara

It sounds like he’s just being billfromlaketravis. Also, Cuchara isn’t texmex, is it? We used to work within walking distance of that place in Midtown right after it opened and before we sold our business. We excitedly went in for lunch at the new place after it opened a few times. I remember thinking “there’s no way this place makes it” because no one besides us was ever in there. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It sounds like he’s just being billfromlaketravis. Also, Cuchara isn’t texmex, is it? We used to work within walking distance of that place in Midtown right after it opened and before we sold our business. We excitedly went in for lunch at the new place after it opened a few times. I remember thinking “there’s no way this place makes it” because no one besides us was ever in there. 

Not TexMex. I enjoy their brunch and it's always packed. Dinner is average, but still a good crowd.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll give Urbe some love on here. Best guacamole I’ve ever eaten. It has some very niche menu items, but they also knock the classics out of the park. 

An additional shout out to Guadalajara. It is what is there, but their bacon wrapped quail is the best. 

I mentioned Mi Somberero in the Tex Mex thread. The Tommy Tacos are a 10. 

Tommy tacos are the absolute truth. First place we went to when we moved to GOOF 12+ years ago. Don't go as much cause Alma but those tacos are legit. 10/10

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Tommy tacos are the absolute truth. First place we went to when we moved to GOOF 12+ years ago. Don't go as much cause Alma but those tacos are legit. 10/10

Legitimate salsa as well. I hate driving to my tailor over there after moving to Memorial, but Mi Somberero is a nice treat when I’m over there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Bar Bludorn was really good in my opinion. If I lived in the area it would be a regular.  Highlights were a hummus made of peas, ham beignets, and filet. Salad was bad. Wanted hanger steak, but was overruled.  Great meal, especially this soon. That place has service figured out. 

IMG_2730.jpeg

IMG_2729.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Mez2 said:

12 years? Jesus I’ve known you too long 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

19 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Any of y'all have thoughts on Ume on White Oak? My son's friend's dad is a chef there, but I haven't tried it yet. He told me to let him know when we make it out there, so he can get us some extra goodies. 

Was there for the second time with some friends 3 weeks ago. Definitely awesome. Love that its < 3 blocks from my house

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Was there for the second time with some friends 3 weeks ago. Definitely awesome. Love that its < 3 blocks from my house

Glad to hear it! I may take my wife next Saturday for a night out, as we always enjoy good sushi restaurants.  Any specific menu items worth trying?

Where is the best place to eat downtown before an Astros game? Firm I invest some dough with is taking me and have asked my preference.

$$$ isn’t an object. They from Chicago so don’t know the town and I’m a suburbs idiot now.

Is Irma’s southwest still a thing? Vic and Anthony’s ? Those used to be my go to when I still worked but it’s been a decade. Anything hip and trendy? I’ll be with some 20 something dudes so I’m sure they’d appreciate a little Houston eye candy. Thanks .

19 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Where is the best place to eat downtown before an Astros game? Firm I invest some dough with is taking me and have asked my preference.

$$$ isn’t an object. They from Chicago so don’t know the town and I’m a suburbs idiot now.

Is Irma’s southwest still a thing? Vic and Anthony’s ? Those used to be my go to when I still worked but it’s been a decade. Anything hip and trendy? I’ll be with some 20 something dudes so I’m sure they’d appreciate a little Houston eye candy. Thanks .

Can't go wrong with V & A

Not sure what the scene is like pre-Astros game, but Xochi is there in the Marriott Marquis.  It's great for interior Mexican (not tex mex)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Not sure what the scene is like pre-Astros game, but Xochi is there in the Marriott Marquis.  It's great for interior Mexican (not tex mex)

xochi is great, but it’s not for everyone 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

potente bar and food is great excellent 

osso and krissella, also has a good pizza but can have long wait times / spotty service 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, txduck87 said:

No eye candy downtown. Maybe the tunnel during lunch. Need to go to River Oaks for all that.

Vic & Anthony’s is terrific, but you can’t hear shit in there. I’d conclude all business before dinner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, txduck87 said:

I would do a bar table at Potente. Bonus points if you get a table by a window facing the sidewalk for people watching. V&A is just another generic Tillman steakhouse in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

No eye candy downtown. Maybe the tunnel during lunch. Need to go to River Oaks for all that.
Vic & Anthony’s is terrific, but you can’t hear shit in there. I’d conclude all business before dinner. 

Business has been conducted. They’ve already got my $$$smile.png Table booked for 5:00pm. Assuming no early bird special like the woodlands restaurants? Will be nice to be on the other side of the check than when I was kissing ass to clients. “Bring us another bottle of caymus and silver oak please! and of course I’ll have some baileys with my tiramisu. “ smile.png

12 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Business has been conducted. They’ve already got my $$$:) Table booked for 5:00pm. Assuming no early bird special like the woodlands restaurants? :)

I’d ask them to seat you in the back. The middle is loud AF. Order the seafood tower. It’s very impressive. They also serve magnums of Silver Oak. Also impressive.

Y’all might not care because you’re going to a ballgame, but I’ll warn you, there’s no dress code and many Houstonians dress like shit. Even during the big convention weeks, you’ll see assholes in there wearing tank tops and flip flops. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

potente bar and food is great excellent 

Dont live in Houston any more but this was my favorite place downtown, right across the street from juicebox too

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

Business has been conducted. They’ve already got my $$$smile.png Table booked for 5:00pm. Assuming no early bird special like the woodlands restaurants? Will be nice to be on the other side of the check than when I was kissing ass to clients. “Bring us another bottle of caymus and silver oak please! and of course I’ll have some baileys with my tiramisu. “ smile.png

bar opens at 4

On 4/5/2024 at 10:17 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

You’re such an insider.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d ask them to seat you in the back. The middle is loud AF. Order the seafood tower. It’s very impressive. They also serve magnums of Silver Oak. Also impressive.

Y’all might not care because you’re going to a ballgame, but I’ll warn you, there’s no dress code and many Houstonians dress like shit. Even during the big convention weeks, you’ll see assholes in there wearing tank tops and flip flops. 

The people who go to nice steakhouses in flip flops and shitty clothes are usually the richest of the bunch, becuase vast wealth often makes folks eccentric. They don't give a fuck becuase they've never had to give a fuck. Or they're just your average surly poster. No in between.