2019 MLB thread

spystud13

This ain’t good. 

Top Rays prospect Brent Honeywell, on the mend from an April 2018 Tommy John Surgery, fractured a bone in his right elbow during a scheduled bullpen in Port Charlotte, Florida, and is out for the season, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. A surgery is scheduled for Monday.

Honeywell, a consensus top-30 prospect in every major outlet even after the Tommy John, had already experienced a major setback in his rehabilitation process this April when he was temporarily shelved with forearm soreness, an injury often precursor to major elbow damage. The 24-year-old’s vaunted screwball, perhaps the only pure version of the pitch used with regularity among professional hurlers today, was felt in some circles to be the tear’s root, though Honeywell only features it sporadically and had never been hurt prior to the surgery.

It’s obviously a brutal hit for both Honeywell and the Rays, though the latter can at least can hang its hat on an impressive young group of big-league arms and emerging talents below. Topkin, in a follow-up tweet, writes that Honeywell’s 2020 outlook is at yet unclear, though the club should know more after the Monday surgery is complete.

In 416 minor-league innings before last season, Honeywell had set down 458 batters on strikes while walking just 93 en route to a 2.88 ERA. He had little issue with the longball until he arrived for 2017 at Triple-A Durham, but his grounder rates remained robust. He was near-unanimously projected as a #2 starter in the majors should his stuff have returned to form. The future outlook now, of course, is far cloudier.

400 is a pretty big #. 

Seattle Mariners designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion hit two home runs on Sunday against the Los Angeles Angels to give him 400 for his career.

He became the third active player to reach the 400-home run milestone, joining Albert Pujols (644) and Miguel Cabrera (468).

Encarnacion is the 56th player to hit 400 home runs in his career and first to accomplish the feat in a Mariners uniform.

His first home run Sunday, which came in the sixth inning, traveled 408 feed to left center. He homered again an inning later, 386 feet to left field.

He is the only player with at least 20 home runs in each of the past eight seasons.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's an awesome response. I personally would've just walked to each base, flexed like Brett Gardner does in the 1st inning roll call at Yankee Stadium as I got to each one and then told him to enjoy being in last place until his ass gets traded to a contender. I think Muncy was far more professional about it than I could ever be.

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

That's an awesome response. I personally would've just walked to each base, flexed like Brett Gardner does in the 1st inning roll call at Yankee Stadium as I got to each one and then told him to enjoy being in last place until his ass gets traded to a contender. I think Muncy was far more professional about it than I could ever be.

Yeah, Bumgarner's schtick is getting stale.  Muncy did nothing wrong.  If you don't want to see him walk, don't throw him a gopher ball.  STFU and pitch better.    

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
This is amazing that they're able to do this: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/jump?year=2019

Wish they'd had this back in the day so people would have understood why slow looking Richard Hidalgo was a very good defensive centerfielder in Houston.

Or why Ken Griffey Jr should've been moved to a corner fairly early in his career.

Five biggest outliers in components:

Jackie Bradley, Jr. reaction rating: 3.16 standard deviations above average
Melky Cabrera burst rating: 3.13 below
Michael Conforto route rating: 2.93 below
Alex Verdugo route rating: 2.77 below
Jackie Bradley, Jr. route rating: 2.46 below

Seems like Bradley just takes off like a bat out of hell in the approximately correct direction and adjusts to meet the ball from there. Looks like it works out overall as he's 5th in the final rating.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems like Bradley just takes off like a bat out of hell in the approximately correct direction and adjusts to meet the ball from there. Looks like it works out overall as he's 5th in the final rating.

Pretty cool.  Did you look at 2018?  He's even more extreme.  And so is Melky.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems like Bradley just takes off like a bat out of hell in the approximately correct direction and adjusts to meet the ball from there. 

Trout's numbers look the exact opposite.  The correlation between reaction and route in 2018 is -0.77, which is pretty cool.

Yeah, there are different ways to play the position. I would have done well in this metric (relative to other scrub high school outfielders, not major leaguers obviously) because of reaction and route and maybe a little acceleration. It's not like I was accelerating for very long, though, because my top end speed was...well let's just say I played AISD football. It's like RGV football except with lighter skin tones.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, there are different ways to play the position. I would have done well in this metric (relative to other scrub high school outfielders, not major leaguers obviously) because of reaction and route and maybe a little acceleration. It's not like I was accelerating for very long, though, because my top end speed was...well let's just say I played AISD football. It's like RGV football except with lighter skin tones.

This former RGV 2nd-string cornerback says fuck you, I could smoke you in a foot race.

I don't think the average sports fan understands how hard it is to catch a batted fly ball in the outfield. I played shortstop & pitcher (could still hit a ball over them mountains), but had to fill in at the outfield spots on occasion. I'd take a wrong step, take forever to adjust, take forever to find the ball in the sky, etc. It truly blows my mind how anyone can run to the correct spot on a wall, correctly time their leap, and rob a homer.