Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

Bonus trivia for your friends... they ran the RS25s at 109%. On Shuttle, we never ran them nominally at more than 104%.

If there had been a launch abort, throttling up to 109% was the profile, but those engines would not be reflown.

Since, sadly, SLS is just dumping these beautiful engines in the ocean, running them at 109% was the standard plan.

Always wondered why they’re over 100%?

Always wondered why they’re over 100%?
100% was the original design rating from the 1970s. These engines went through a couple of upgrades in the 1980s and 1990s to improve overall performance.

It was easier to keep the thrust measurement against the original rating, thus the >100% values.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First off - congrats to the entire team at NASA and all worldwide partners.  Fantastic effort and a beautiful ship now on the way to the freaking Moon!

Second - I'm really disappointed in NASA's ability to (1) have a decent prelaunch broadcast with competent presenters that didn't sound like Instagram influencers, and (2) actually have cameras that could track and properly adjust lighting for a night launch.

We used to do that pretty damned well - but it seems like they're learning it all over again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

This was really fun to wake up and rewatch.  Gonna watch again with my daughter this evening, the space junkie.  Gonna tell her we're watching it live though since she'll be pissed I didn't wake her up at 1am on a school day.  She was visibly confused last night reading about why the Goddess of the Hunt was also in charge of childcare.  

Congrats to the tens of thousands of people who work together, with little to no fanfare, to move all that weight off our little rock.  Every time NASA sends back a picture of our home with no lines or letters on it, I am reminded to take better care of it.  We are going to colonize the Moon and go to Mars...but I won't live to see it.  But my girls will, but we gotta start it from here.  And Here is Us.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

This was really fun to wake up and rewatch.  Gonna watch again with my daughter this evening, the space junkie.  Gonna tell her we're watching it live though since she'll be pissed I didn't wake her up at 1am on a school day.  She was visibly confused last night reading about why the Goddess of the Hunt was also in charge of childcare.  

Congrats to the tens of thousands of people who work together, with little to no fanfare, to move all that weight off our little rock.  Every time NASA sends back a picture of our home with no lines or letters on it, I am reminded to take better care of it.  We are going to colonize the Moon and go to Mars...but I won't live to see it.  But my girls will, but we gotta start it from here.  And Here is Us.  

Encourage her love for it. Raising my little she always talked about space. When she turned 16 she asked what would I say if she volunteered to go to Mars. Told her my reply would be bye, go have fun and kick ass. I got stuff here I need to finish but your generation is going to do amazing things. And she is. They launch a small rocket in March with a gyroscope she worked on as a freshman in college. 

And agree, congrats to all those involved. The Red Team dudes are heroes and should never pay for a beer. 

Team AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

First off - congrats to the entire team at NASA and all worldwide partners.  Fantastic effort and a beautiful ship now on the way to the freaking Moon!

Second - I'm really disappointed in NASA's ability to (1) have a decent prelaunch broadcast with competent presenters that didn't sound like Instagram influencers, and (2) actually have cameras that could track and properly adjust lighting for a night launch.

We used to do that pretty damned well - but it seems like they're learning it all over again.

This. Just getting around to watching it, and holy shit this guy is a jackass. "The pointy end is up, and the burny end is facing down." That's just shameful considering the efforts of so many brilliant people around the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nah, Roman's stole those gods. Artemis for the win. 

Bullshit.  The Romans had their own pantheon.  They adopted some Greek gods (they also adopted some Egyptian and Levantine gods), cause that's how shit works when you're a polytheist.  And they drew some analogies between their pantheon and the Greeks'.  But they didn't just up and completely bogart the Greek pantheon.

Diana is a good example of that, actually.  Diana was a Latin goddess that predates Rome.  She got conflated with some of the attributes of Artemis over time.  But that's not a goddess that they stole from anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Then who originated "Jeff, the God of Biscuits"

Also, I would love to have gotten to watch these Earth image bouncebacks with Kyrie Irving.  Just to hear him say, "See, I told you our shit was flat!"  Is it Mr. Irving, or is it the screen that's flat?  

I'm looking at NASA feed but it's a rerun.  Oh shit, are Brolin and O.J. stuck in some soundstage somewhere?  FUCK

• Haha 1

As soon as I clicked on Ramjet's Link, my laptop fan started running and I knew I wouldn't get any work done the rest of the day.  Coolest thing is looks like she's almost at her halfway point.  I'm gonna do the maths, but I'm guessing technical halfway point occurs sometime around moonrise this evening, kinda cool.  

Weird to think about this cool desktop viewer tool is multiple times more accurate than what all of mission control had on the Apollo missions.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

As soon as I clicked on Ramjet's Link, my laptop fan started running and I knew I wouldn't get any work done the rest of the day.  Coolest thing is looks like she's almost at her halfway point.  I'm gonna do the maths, but I'm guessing technical halfway point occurs sometime around moonrise this evening, kinda cool.  

Weird to think about this cool desktop viewer tool is multiple times more accurate than what all of mission control had on the Apollo missions.  

Yeah....the "Apollo missions"...like those were even real, man.  DO THE RESEARCH!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I actually still retain 4% skepticism that the Apollo missions didn't occur.  The propulsion and engineering physics of it all were/are possible, but I am not totally convinced the return trip and its tracking were technically possible back then.  But that is assuaged by the fact that 400,000 people worked on that program between the rubber factory guy who made the tires to move the damn rocket to the launch pad to the flight director to the astronauts to the guy who designed the thing to make the thing to make the thing that would make the thing that would give us the heat shield to the black female computers to the whole damn Air Force, nevermind a buncha loudmouth ex-Nazis.  And nobody, in a day and age when everybody was a functioning alcoholic, leaked anything for 11 years?  Or the 50 years after? 400,000 Americans (and a few Germans) kept quiet about the biggest lie in our Solar System for that long?  

We went there.  And we're going the fuck back, baby!  

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I actually still retain 4% skepticism that the Apollo missions didn't occur.  The propulsion and engineering physics of it all were/are possible, but I am not totally convinced the return trip and its tracking were technically possible back then.  But that is assuaged by the fact that 400,000 people worked on that program between the rubber factory guy who made the tires to move the damn rocket to the launch pad to the flight director to the astronauts to the guy who designed the thing to make the thing to make the thing that would make the thing that would give us the heat shield to the black female computers to the whole damn Air Force, nevermind a buncha loudmouth ex-Nazis.  And nobody, in a day and age when everybody was a functioning alcoholic, leaked anything for 11 years?  Or the 50 years after? 400,000 Americans (and a few Germans) kept quiet about the biggest lie in our Solar System for that long?  

We went there.  And we're going the fuck back, baby!  

The Apollo missions are absolutely incredible in terms of sheer quantity technological advancements being integrated for the first time. The first ever integrated circuits, the first "chips" EVER were crafted by HAND and built into the first ever computer - the Apollo guidance computer was THE first general purpose computer! EVER!! And we used it to fly to the fucking moon!

And now the SIM card in your cell phone, or any cheapo 4-function calculator, is a more powerful computer than what we flew to the moon on!

I am very eager to see the fruits of that technogical advancement as we attempt to colonize Mars and Luna

• Hook 'Em 2

I actually still retain 4% skepticism that the Apollo missions didn't occur. 

Well, Apollo 11 left a mirror up there. Anyone can bounce a big enough laser off it and get a return ping.

Anyone can measure their distance to the landing site, assuming you have the engineering chops to build the laser and the detector.

So yep we went to the moon. At last the mirror did. :-)
  • Hook 'Em 1