2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

OK, I'll bite.

Why?

It’s ridiculous to think that strength and conditioning can avoid every muscle injury.  It’s also illogical to suggest that one of the most analytical and scientific front offices in the game has strength and conditioning as a blind spot.

• Like 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

It’s ridiculous to think that strength and conditioning can avoid every muscle injury.  It’s also illogical to suggest that one of the most analytical and scientific front offices in the game has strength and conditioning as a blind spot.

It's not ridiculous when there have been so many of the same muscle injuries on one team in one season. In fact, I think it's a pretty good time to ask what the fuck?

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's not ridiculous when there have been so many of the same muscle injuries on one team in one season. In fact, I think it's a pretty good time to ask what the fuck?

Cole is on a completely different training program with completely different movements than the other players who have had hammy issues.   His “discomfort” is not a data point in a trend   

Maybe, just maybe, this team has world class athletes that push their bodies to their physical limits on a near daily basis, and sometimes they push a little too hard.  Or sometimes they slip in the shower like every other human being on the planet.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve had enough of Reddick.  He’s been bad for two years now.  And I’m tired of hearing jabronis yell “wooooo”.  

That .314 in 2017 is such an outlier for a .263 career guy, and he doesn't have much power.  He can grind out a few more years in the majors, but he needs a change of scenery.

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Devo and Biagini are the only ones burned.   Pen is fine.  All things considered, AJ has played today great and the bullpen has done its job.

Hard to complain about 6 runs given up across 2 games. If we don't sweep those games then either props to their pitching or shame on our offense.

16 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Cole is on a completely different training program with completely different movements than the other players who have had hammy issues.   His “discomfort” is not a data point in a trend   

Maybe, just maybe, this team has world class athletes that push their bodies to their physical limits on a near daily basis, and sometimes they push a little too hard.  Or sometimes they slip in the shower like every other human being on the planet.  

Shut up, nerd. 

😝

Edited by David Dennison

2 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

We definitely tossed in the towel once Cole was scratched. That’s bullshit mentality right there. Trickled from the manager on down.

I got the sense they throttled down mentally once the rainout happened and they were looking at three games in 24 hrs.  

I got the sense they throttled down mentally once the rainout happened and they were looking at three games in 24 hrs.  

You can’t throttle down against a shit team you should sweep. Games like this is why the Yankees will have the best record in the AL when it’s done. Oh and Baltimore on Sunday.

That’s 2 games pissed away. Against very very bad teams.

Yes,  osuna is to blame for the shit effort tonight

It was mostly tongue in cheek, but I’m just saying that the vibe around the team is way different than it was 72 hours ago. Rainouts, injuries, sloppy play... just seems like our swagger got temporarily deflated with that walk-off bomb.

Most of it’s just bad luck, the sky’s not falling and we’ll be fine by playoffs, just an observation.

• Like 1

First game really wasn’t that bad.  It was a pretty common formula for this team. Nurse a lead or keep it close until you get to the pen, then add on in later innings.  It was textbook.  

Once Cole was scratched, Game 2 became a toss-up. I mentioned at the beginning of the game that Nova was on a heater and would be tough.  Even with that, the game was a Devo error away from heading down the same path as game 1.  Plus they had to rest big bats with the crazy three game stretch and Bregman’s soreness.  

Again, nothing to get too upset about.  

Yo checking interest on this.  It would be a Wednesday night shitshow:

agswin does charity stuff for a group called Sunflower Mission   https://www.sunflowermission.org/   They help kids in Vietnam.  He got a suite donated for Wednesday Sept 18th game to raffle off and he is doing this for $500 a ticket.  20 entries.  Here is the write up he posted:

"For $500, you will have a 1 in 20 chance of winning an entire suite at #MMP to entertain 12 of your friends. You will also receive 2 parking passes. Food and drinks will be provided. It's a $4000 value.
The game will be on Wednesday, September 18, 2019, against the @rangers."

It is a 7:10 game and they are giving away Brantley Bobbleheads that night to all fans.  I was wondering if there were any people here interested in getting a raffle ticket and maybe making it a Surly suite if we get lucky and win.  Regardless your $ will at least be going to a cause.  It would be $42 a seat, and each of you could get multiple as long as you send me $42 X however many seats you want.  I would donate the $504 to him for the raffle ticket.  

As of last night he had 3 raffle spots left.  

So anyway if you are interested let me know the # of slots out of the 12 you would want.  First 11, since I am 1, will be in and then I can get you my paypal/venmo to send me the $ and I can contact him for a ticket.  

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros are not a fastball hitting team 

Nova was awesome last night.  His fastball had great late movement.  Heard Sparky mention it in the early innings on the way home.  Sometimes you tip your cap to the other guy - he's actually a professional getting paid to play just like our guys.