2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

59 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Totally - Molina seems like a douchebag. And he is overrated. I guess if you believe that he has been head-and-shoulders better defensively than Bench, Rodriguez, Carter, etc, as the Fangraphs defensive metrics suggest, you can make the case that this career league-average hitter is a hall-of-famer. But that's putting a lot of faith in defensive metrics that are still in the early stages of quantification. (And on FG, they sure seem to have a strong recency bias, as the top 4 all-time C in defensive value are Molina, Rodriguez, Russell Martin and Brian McCann.)

That's because they mix up what goes into their defensive ratings depending on what data they have, which drives me fucking nuts.  The recent guys will have framing runs included in D-WAR.  The older guys won't, and they somehow think that's OK.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That's because they mix up what goes into their defensive ratings depending on what data they have, which drives me fucking nuts.  The recent guys will have framing runs included in D-WAR.  The older guys won't, and they somehow think that's OK.  

Yeah, I read that they started factoring in framing data, but to your point, the metrics lose meaning if they are calculated differently across players.