2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

so i just rewatched the highlight package on quick pitch.  inning by inning, then the top 9 toro shot, then the finish.

and when toro hit his bomb, then came around and touched home, like always, jose altuve was the first to greet him.  that dude lives on the top step of the dugout, and i swear he spends an against-the-rules amount of time actually on the field.  if you homer for us, once you touch home, he will be one of the first guys you see, even when, and especially when, he wasn't on base or on deck.

and for some reason, because i'm a movie guy, i liken this to jimmy conway in goodfellas.  whenever anyone had a baby, jimmy was always the first guy waiting to congratulate you when you walked out of the delivery room.  that's altuve for this team.  and i don't feel like other teams even have someone who does that.

fucking love that dude.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so i just rewatched the highlight package on quick pitch.  inning by inning, then the top 9 toro shot, then the finish.

and when toro hit his bomb, then came around and touched home, like always, jose altuve was the first to greet him.  that dude lives on the top step of the dugout, and i swear he spends an against-the-rules amount of time actually on the field.  if you homer for us, once you touch home, he will be one of the first guys you see, even when, and especially when, he wasn't on base or on deck.

and for some reason, because i'm a movie guy, i liken this to jimmy conway in goodfellas.  whenever anyone had a baby, jimmy was always the first guy waiting to congratulate you when you walked out of the delivery room.  that's altuve for this team.  and i don't feel like other teams even have someone who does that.

fucking love that dude.

Altuve has been and will forever be the OG with this club.  When they were total shit, Altuve was there making work. He's always been the engine behind this team.  Let's see if he can get Correa in the dress shop though...

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Altuve has been and will forever be the OG with this club.  When they were total shit, Altuve was there making work. He's always been the engine behind this team.  Let's see if he can get Correa in the dress shop though...

Dress?  I envision Correa in toreador pants. Something mid-calf with lots of sequins. 🤔

Perez somewhat of a surprise. Thought we’d see Armenteros. Straw will be up Thursday.

I started to post the other day “is Cionel still alive?”

I mean, I see his name pop up in box scores for RR occasionally, but the lines usually aren’t very good.

Maybe they are really really exhausting all efforts to go through the entire farm system to make sure there isn’t a lefty worthy of the postseason roster.

And let’s be fair, hard to imagine Perez doing any worse than the rest of the back of the bullpen these days

On Straw, a little surprised they didn’t call him up for the next two days with the two games in the NL parks.

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

fucking love that dude.

But Jimmy Conway ended up killing all of his friends.  

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the order in which the SPs are listed on the line up card is a reliable indication of when the SPs are scheduled to pitch. If so, it looks like JV will start on normal rest on Friday and Valdez will get the start on Saturday. As someone with tickets to Saturday's game, I was hoping to catch a JV start. 

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone know if the order in which the SPs are listed on the line up card is a reliable indication of when the SPs are scheduled to pitch. If so, it looks like JV will start on normal rest on Friday and Valdez will get the start on Saturday. As someone with tickets to Saturday's game, I was hoping to catch a JV start. 

Sorry, it is more important to allow JV to JV. (Johnny Vander meer)

• Like 1

Pretty sure it is the intended rotation, but things can change.

They want JV on normal rest and that has been the plan the whole time he has been here so Friday start is pretty much a given

Idk.
I could see them giving him the extra day after throwing 120 pitches which was close to, it not, a season high.

He’s made 15 starts on 4 days rest,
11 on 5 days rest this year.
The only reason I see to push it would be to skip the #5 starter all together this turn but most you could do with the schedule is push the #5 from Friday against the M’s to Monday against the A’s. Not smart.

Either way, good ok for skipping watching the Texas/LSU game for the Astros

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

JV scheduled for Friday means Cole should pitch Saturday, or at least that’s what better happen.

• Like 1