2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

49 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You won't find an Astros fan born 1980 or earlier who wasn't at that game.

I *was* at that game though. Thanks for the tickets, Mom. 

I'll admit I wasn't. Tough commute from the ATL. But I watched from afar.

What a nauseating ending to that postseason. I had flashbacks to 1980, which was basically as bad. And then that weasel Walt Weiss. And then getting swept out in 2005. The 2017 WS title finally exorcised many demons. 

I *was* at that game though. Thanks for the tickets, Mom. 

Haha

I almost added at the end:

“Queue the ‘I was there!’ posts”

For the record, I was NOT there. Was still dealing with finding a rhythm at my new job...aka Kindergarten which I had just started a couple of weeks before

i was at the scotty game.  my grandparents had season tickets from like 1981 on, and my dad and i went to about 15 games that season.  i can't remember how many we went to in a row, but we basically decided we would be at the clincher if it was at home, and i wanna say it happened the first possible game after that conversation.  i remember part of me being disappointed, because i was promised several days in a row of astros games, and my little 10 year old brain didn't put it together that to go to several, it would've meant losing.

i also went to game 6 and stayed til the bitter end (we moved way up and i was right behind kevin bass when he struck out to end it, and orosco threw his glove up in the air).  i remember getting to leave school early to get there in time.

still can't believe mlb decided to let us have homefield for that series.  think if that happened today.  people would lose their fucking minds.  i know i would.

4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I wasn't at that game, but I WAS at this one.

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Sept 24 - Ryan strikes out 12 and gives up 1 hit in 8 innings, Kerfeld gives up another hit in the 9th, beats the Giants 6-0

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This, we can’t depend on him to play the entire series 

thank god we got diaz.  he's not correa, but he's (mostly) healthy and competent at the plate in the 7 hole.

i have a bad feeling that correa's back will end up being a tragic story about an athlete's career cut short.  he loves his teammates, and i have to believe he'd be playing if he could.  i don't see this as a situation where he signs some big deal and all of a sudden doesn't ever get hurt for his new team.

i wonder if we'll end up targeting a long term solution at 3rd and have bregs just play short for the next decade.

• Like 1

Those 3 days in 86 were pretty special.
  • Sept 23 - Deshaies strikes out the first 8 batters, 10 K's for the game, 2 hits, beats the Dodgers 4-0
  • Sept 24 - Ryan strikes out 12 and gives up 1 hit in 8 innings, Kerfeld gives up another hit in the 9th, beats the Giants 6-0
  • Sept 25 - Scott strikes out 13 and no hits the Giants, Astros clinch division by beating the Giants 2-0.
That was the beginning of an 8 game stretch where  the Astros threw 6 shutouts.
Was at deahaies game. I vividly remember that game

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

thank god we got diaz.  he's not correa, but he's (mostly) healthy and competent at the plate in the 7 hole.

i have a bad feeling that correa's back will end up being a tragic story about an athlete's career cut short.  he loves his teammates, and i have to believe he'd be playing if he could.  i don't see this as a situation where he signs some big deal and all of a sudden doesn't ever get hurt for his new team.

i wonder if we'll end up targeting a long term solution at 3rd and have bregs just play short for the next decade.

Bregs is a little small for an ideal shortstop.  He doesn't have great range since he's not super fast.  He's better at 3rd I think.

Edited by kevwun

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Happy Mike Scott clinching division with a no-hitter day!

745e9e6d4cc6584c8d6c04861a03977b.jpg

I was there! My dad took me at age 8 and my best friend and his dad. Sat upper deck and my greatest memory of that game wasn't the no hitter or caring like I would today but it was right as the last out happened everyone threw there shit everywhere. Cups, hot dog wrappers, toilet paper like the one in that pic in the upper deck right behind Scott. I was tossing all sorts of shit off the upper deck on to peoples heads and no one gave a shit.

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Better get the W tonight:

i'm fine with this.  we're still more talented than them (even though miley is going).  this is all about the magic number being 3, and hopefully the rays taking care of some business tonight.

if 3-2 clinches this shit, then we're basically saying we can win 3/4 of the other games and take our chances tomorrow.

and that's if and only if the yankees win out (including tonight).

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bregs is a little small for an ideal shortstop.  He doesn't have great range since he's not super fast.  He's better at 3rd I think.

A slightly short Bregman is a much better SS than a lame Correa watching from the bench. But whatever. At this point, I’m not even angry at CC for being a gimp. I’m just over him. Young guys with bad backs rarely become older guys with good ones..

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm fine with this.  we're still more talented than them (even though miley is going).  this is all about the magic number being 3, and hopefully the rays taking care of some business tonight.

if 3-2 clinches this shit, then we're basically saying we can win 3/4 of the other games and take our chances tomorrow.

Yeah if we can win tonight and the Rays hang on our magic number will be 1 vs the MFY and 2 vs the Dodgers. If we can't go 2-2 vs the Trout and Ohtaniless Angels we have bigger problems then not getting HFA.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Probably just figure he's going to give up double digit runs in the first inning anyway, so might as well give everyone the day off. 

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

tonight's yankees loss makes our half-lineup tomorrow completely tolerable.

Yeah I mean if we win tonight with Greinke and the normal lineup minus Glassrea our magic number vs them becomes 1 which means we don't really care when the Rangers lay down and let the Yankees sweep them to close out the Ballpark in Arlington.