Dallas Stars 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Kind of hard to lift when you’re going close to full speed the other direction and your arms are fully extended. That is literally the hardest shot to get up off the ice.

I know how hard it is.  Perhaps, given the moment, he could have.   Or he could have continued his turn since he beat his man and could’ve completed the wrap into the near post since it was as open as Hope Solo

I know how hard it is.  Perhaps, given the moment, he could have.   Or he could have continued his turn since he beat his man and could’ve completed the wrap into the near post since it was as open as Hope Solo

He couldn’t keep the puck on his stick all night for some reason.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full-speed wraparound do anything but slide under or beside a goalie — on the ice.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kind of hard to lift when you’re going close to full speed the other direction and your arms are fully extended. That is literally the hardest shot to get up off the ice.

You can say that again, again 

• Like 1

Just now, C-Man said:

He couldn’t keep the puck on his stick all night for some reason.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full-speed wraparound do anything but slide under or beside a goalie — on the ice.

I watched enough Lemieux and Jagr to have seen otherwise.  Of course, Benn is certainly no Lemieux, or Jagr 

8 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Almost everyone looked like they were out of gas and spent the last two games. Still had a chance to steal it late. 

What are completely shity fucking sports day. The absolute worst one I've had in a long time maybe ever

Sorry about Barca dude. That was a miracle that they laid on you plain and simple. 

That said, not sure why you're a Barca fan. Seems questionable.

You don’t have to lift a wrap around, you have to tuck it in on the near post. When he went wide he shot it into Binnington’s leg pad. 

Right. Because of the sharp angle, it’s really hard to tuck it inside the near post. It takes a perfect shot.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Right. Because of the sharp angle, it’s really hard to tuck it inside the near post. It takes a perfect shot.

It is. Which is why he’s one of the top 10 paid players in the NHL. Their was a wide open net on that wrap around and he didn’t get it down. Shit happens. 

Hitting the side of the net forced the puck off his stick and kept him from getting the right angle. If he’d taken one more half-stride maybe he clears enough of the goal to tuck it further in the corner. Bennington was not gonna be able to get his skate all the way to the bar, not even close.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sorry about Barca dude. That was a miracle that they laid on you plain and simple. 

I'm not a Barca fan. It's my homeland. My heritage. I started out in their youth system. It's much more than sport. As much as this stars loss sucks the one earlier was a billion times worse for me. 

Plus I hate everything about England. Hated my time playing there. Hate the people. Just as bigoted and stupid as Americans but somehow even more annoying. I would love to see their country collapse. 

Just now, Junior Miller said:

I'm not a Barca fan. It's my homeland. My heritage. I started out in their youth system. It's much more than sport. As much as this stars loss sucks the one earlier was a billion times worse for me. 

That's fair.

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

Plus I hate everything about England. Hated my time playing there. Hate the people. Just as bigoted and stupid as Americans but somehow even more annoying. I would love to see their country collapse. 

Probably in the wrong thread but okay.

Hitting the side of the net forced the puck off his stick and kept him from getting the right angle. If he’d taken one more half-stride maybe he clears enough of the goal to tuck it further in the corner. Bennington was not gonna be able to get his skate all the way to the bar, not even close.

Should have scored. Fucking weak

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Lol. Liverpool took a shit on your chest today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

These dipshit announcers were talking about the Stars' lucky bounce earlier. Bounces don't get any luckier than that one....

After 50+ shots on goal, you're claiming puck luck?

I dont know about a miracle..... Not the thread for it but the fact junior is bitching over here and not the champions league thread is all the clue you need

Kinda like how my soccer bar was devoid of barca fans today....they thought it was done after playing the home leg and didnt respect Anfield

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Blues earned it. Shitass refs notwithstanding. They were the better team the last two games. It's hard to admit. 

Hard to blame the refs when they have the primary assist on the only goal you score in the game.

There's not much difference between these two teams. (I'm not sure there is much difference between any of the teams that made the playoffs in the Western Conference.)   If they played ten seven game series I feel it would be 5-5 and at least half of them would go seven games.  They have different styles but they are both teams that can beat anyone when they play hard and smart and get beat by anyone when they don't.  After outshooting Dallas 18-1 in the 2nd period and not getting anything out of it I was certain the Blues were going to lose 2-1 on some goal that ricochets off of a linesman, a broken stick, and two Blues defensemen with five seconds left in the third period.

I haven't paid attention to the Stars cap situation.  Other than Zuccarello I don't know who is eligible for free agency for Dallas.  Can you resign Zuccarello?  If not could you afford a Panarin or Jeff Skinner?  Seems like either one more scorer or an annoying gritty pest guy with lots of playoff experience (I'm thinking someone in the vein of Chris Koontz, Jay Beagle, or Brian Boyle.) would be the parts you are missing.  You're fine on the back end and at goalie and you had the best penalty kill of anyone in the playoffs so it would seem the other side of the coin would be the emphasis in the off season.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

So, why is Dallas so much more gassed the last couple games than StL?  Too many late nights with the girls behind the bench?

It takes more out of you to get hit than it does to hit someone.  It also takes more out of you playing in your own zone and having to chase everyone around than it does playing in the opponents zone and making them chase you around.  That was an advantage to the Blues style over the Stars style.  The Blues like to cycle the puck endlessly to tire you out and then when you are a step behind someone they find the open guy for a shot.  The Stars like to base their offense around quick breakouts and the initial rush into the zone.  They aren't a grind team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Man what a bummer.  See most of y'all in October on the regular season thread.  

I think probably a bunch on here that follow the Stars that (like me) flat out forget about the Other Sports board until a big event.  I'll do my part to make a more active thread next season as only have a couple of buddies that follow hockey so more thoughts beyond that 1 text chain would be nice.

Really missed Hanzel, Methot and Oleksiak to help counter that Blues forecheck.  Just got worked over for too many periods until we broke.
I don't know about Hanzel since it never felt like we saw what he could bring.
We definitely missed oleksiak.

How much different is this team this year with methot and johns?

Hard to blame the refs when they have the primary assist on the only goal you score in the game.
There's not much difference between these two teams. (I'm not sure there is much difference between any of the teams that made the playoffs in the Western Conference.)   If they played ten seven game series I feel it would be 5-5 and at least half of them would go seven games.  They have different styles but they are both teams that can beat anyone when they play hard and smart and get beat by anyone when they don't.  After outshooting Dallas 18-1 in the 2nd period and not getting anything out of it I was certain the Blues were going to lose 2-1 on some goal that ricochets off of a linesman, a broken stick, and two Blues defensemen with five seconds left in the third period.
I haven't paid attention to the Stars cap situation.  Other than Zuccarello I don't know who is eligible for free agency for Dallas.  Can you resign Zuccarello?  If not could you afford a Panarin or Jeff Skinner?  Seems like either one more scorer or an annoying gritty pest guy with lots of playoff experience (I'm thinking someone in the vein of Chris Koontz, Jay Beagle, or Brian Boyle.) would be the parts you are missing.  You're fine on the back end and at goalie and you had the best penalty kill of anyone in the playoffs so it would seem the other side of the coin would be the emphasis in the off season.  

I don’t think Zuccarello is a FA this summer — but I could be wrong. I’d bring him back if possible.

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

He is and I think that has to be a big priority.  I'm sure he's going to have plenty of opportunities.

I do know that he wasn't particularly happy about getting traded to Dallas.  I wonder whether it grew on him over the past few months.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I do know that he wasn't particularly happy about getting traded to Dallas.  I wonder whether it grew on him over the past few months.

I think it was more getting traded from NY than where he was traded to based on his relationship with Henrik Lundqvist.

Listening to Nill's press conference today definitely sounds like they plan to make a run at Zucc.  Obviously that is to be expected but between Nill's comments (implying it will be a priority) and what Zucc said about appreciating when a team shows they believe in you like the Stars did, makes me optimistic they can figure out a deal.  

• Like 1