2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah I can't imagine Kemba would give up money to go to NYC........and he's from NYC!

That fine should have been 10 times as much at least.   That's just Dolan being a bitch

Iggy has something to say about the Knicks.

Ouch.  Seems like they need another cycle to add another young good player before it looks somewhat attractive to UFA's.

33 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I still think of them as terrible crowd sourced hot takes. Learn something new every day I guess.

Just gotta look at where they got it from.  They are just reprinting something Bucher posted.   Bucher is very reputable

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Still don’t understand the Durant to NY/Brooklyn thinking from his perspective.  He’d make significantly more money in GS, win 2-4 more titles, have an infinitely superior organization, and live in a great city.

He’s leaving that for the Knicks?

The chance to play in Mecca and potentially be a hero in the biggest basketball city in the world. Not the decision I would make but not that shocking.

57 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Still don’t understand the Durant to NY/Brooklyn thinking from his perspective.  He’d make significantly more money in GS, win 2-4 more titles, have an infinitely superior organization, and live in a great city.

I think he wants to carve out another piece of his legacy that doesn't involve Curry or the Warriors, meaning winning a title on his own so to speak.  I also wonder if he is legitimately irritated in how he got injured.  I think the Nets are more likely than the Knicks at this point, but who knows.  I always thought the Knicks would appeal to Durant more than the Nets because of the chance to turn around that specific franchise, but the Knicks have Dolan, and well...that's a big negative to some players.  Lots of weird stuff will fly around this week for sure.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think so, they've really upgraded their staff and while no one gets it 100% right, I tend to think they try to play it straight.  Bucher isn't Woj (who is), but he's got decent credentials.  I don't doubt someone told him this.

Plus Bucher's ties to the Warriors go way back to before they were ever a thing. If there's any team he has great sources with it's definitely the Warriors

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

There is a lot of tension between KD and the Warriors on several fronts. There were rumblings about a fallout between KD and Kerr, Draymond publicly bashed him on numerous occasions early in the season and the handling of his injury which led to a serious injury that could affect his longevity and ability to produce.

i doubt GS wins 2-4 more titles even with KD and others at full strength since the 2019-20 season is down the drain already and their core 6 players are the downslope of aging. I can see them winning the 2021 title with KD but nothing beyond that.

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I agree it doesnt seem reasonable if the goal is to win the most titles.   He wants/needs to win on his own for his legacy in many eyes.    Couple that with bringing a single title to the Knicks and he would be seen as a god in NYC.     It ignores Dolan being a roadblock to success though.

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hmmm.....

It is the silly season so there will be plenty of bad information out there.... even from reputable sources.

That is an interesting article.... thanks!!

For Longhorn fans an fyi.....

Excerpt:  "Durant already has multiple ties to the Knicks. General manager Scott Perry was an assistant GM with the Seattle/Oklahoma City franchise when the team drafted him. Durant is the godfather to a daughter of Royal Ivey (Lyric Ella), a fellow University of Texas alum, former Thunder teammate and now a Knicks assistant coach. DeAndre Jordan, who played for the Knicks this past season and is also a free agent, is another Durant confidant. Rich Kleiman, Durant's agent and business manager, is also a New Yorker and a Knicks fan who allegedly has long dreamed of being part of the organization."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842500-kd-kyrie-met-twice-to-discuss-teaming-up-kawhi-still-has-nba-guessing?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Talk about 1+1 possible for Kawhi and Toronto.  

What about KD signing a 2+1 with either Knicks or the Nets.  I think the Knicks would definitely take this gamble to have KD for the 2020-21 season.  

Has a player ever had both 1yr and 2yr player options included in the same contract??  Maybe KD could sign a contract with Knicks that includes 2yrs plus both a 1yr and 2yr option so it provides injury protection and allows KD more flexibility to leave if Knicks don't get their shit together...

😕

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Talk about 1+1 possible for Kawhi and Toronto.  

What about KD signing a 2+1 with either Knicks or the Nets.  I think the Knicks would definitely take this gamble to have KD for the 2020-21 season.  

Has a player ever had both 1yr and 2yr player options included in the same contract??  Maybe KD could sign a contract with Knicks that includes 2yrs plus both a 1yr and 2yr option so it provides injury protection and allows KD more flexibility to leave if Knicks don't get their shit together...

😕

57. What are option clauses? What kind of option clauses are there?

An option clause allows a contract to be extended for one additional season after the date it is scheduled to end. For example, a three-year contract with an option for the fourth year means that if the option is exercised, then the contract extends through the fourth season, but if the option is not exercised, then the contract ends after the third season. Once exercised, an option cannot be revoked (for example, a player cannot invoke an option on June 20 and change his mind on June 25). Conditional options are not allowed -- the availability of the option may not be contingent on some condition, such as the number of games the team wins or the player's points per game1.

There are three types of options:

• Team Options give the team the right to invoke the option. There can be only one option year (except in the case of rookie scale contracts).
  • Player Options give the player the right to invoke the option. There can be only one option year.
  • Player Early Termination Options (ETOs) give the player the right to terminate the contract early. An ETO can't occur prior to the end of fourth season of the contract (which implies that the contract must be for five seasons). An ETO is not allowed in a veteran extension (see question number 58).

Edited by d2o

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Celtics suddenly have to change tacks and probably will be kicking the tires on a lot of free agents now.

They're going to need a big man too, I've seen some Vuc whispers.

I'd kinda hate to lose Vuc but at the same time I'm ok with not having to give him 30M/yr to keep him.

Andre Iguodala Says Mark Jackson Is Being Blackballed From The NBA

Warriors veteran Andre Iguodala is currently out promoting his new book, and this morning he stopped by the Breakfast Club to chat about everyone’s least favorite ESPN NBA commentator, Mark Jackson. Jackson coached the Warriors for three seasons until he was fired in 2014, one year before Steph Curry won MVP and Golden State won the 2015 championship. Despite his hand in improving Golden State’s record by 28 wins over three seasons, it seems Jackson was fired because he was extremely preachy on the job and also everyone in the building reportedly hated him.

Jackson hasn’t coached since then (despite his efforts), and on the show this morning, Iguodala claimed that Jackson was being blackballed by the league.

Iguodala was asked about Jackson about halfway through the interview, and after praising him, he explained that one “widespread” conflict between Jackson and openly gay Warriors president Rick Welts was Jackson’s view on, in Iguodala’s words, “what the Bible says on your sexuality.” Later in the interview, at 34:28, a co-host asks Iguodala is he thinks Jackson is being blackballed, to which Iguodala replied, “I do, yes. Absolutely.”

Here’s a transcript:

One particular issue was his views on gender or marriage or what the bible says on your sexuality, and the head of our business ... Rick Welts ... He’s celebrated as one of the top execs in sports, on the business side, and he’s gay, so there was conflicts with that that was widespread.

[...]

Someone mentioned it to me, people can express themselves, but are you allowed to express yourself that you don’t agree with it? You should accept it, because we should all accept each other, but it’s like we’re afraid to really say our beliefs now. You may not believe in something, but you still have respect for them, as long as you don’t disrespect them or judge them.

Iguodala—who reportedly said he didn’t want his daughter playing basketball because he was worried she might “turn into a lesbian”—also chalked up the firing of Jackson—who reportedly said he didn’t want a gay player in his locker room—to a bad relationship with ownership, which Warriors boss Joe Lacob certainly would not dispute.

If Jackson really wants to get back into the coaching game, maybe he should try anointing himself in that magic oil he used to heal Curry’s ankles in 2012.

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Kemba and Vuc don’t seem like Brad Stevens type players.

How so? 

JR Smith is destined for Laker land..... gonna be as good as Swaggy P.

Rockets hoping to get Jimmy B.  May need to get a 3rd team involved as Embiid and Capela (who is likely in the S&T) wouldn't work together.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lakers think they're still in it for Kawhi even though they can't offer him the max anymore.  Hmmm...

If Kawhi joins the LBJ/AD duo and the Lakers don't win the NBA Championship this season, it would be hilarious... 😆

I'm sure Melo will be super enthusiastic about coming off the bench for the veteran's minimum for a chance to play with his good friend LeBron James.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/new-report-names-most-likely-destination-for-carmelo-anthony

According to a report from NBA insider Ian Begley, NBA executives believe the Los Angeles Lakers are the “most likely” destination for Melo.

Begley revealed Anthony would be open to a return to New York, but the Knicks aren’t interested right now:

Lakers doing exactly what lebron was always going to force them into in picking up over the hill guys and then likely overpaying them. JR should be out of the league but his career was just extended 3 years by lebron saying “we could bring in my friend JR”. Melo is being talked about. That’s how you know the lakers know they are straight fucked. 

Have to question butler in Houston. Are they trying to get rid of Paul by having jimmy put a hit on him? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Lakers doing exactly what lebron was always going to force them into in picking up over the hill guys and then likely overpaying them. JR should be out of the league but his career was just extended 3 years by lebron saying “we could bring in my friend JR”. Melo is being talked about. That’s how you know the lakers know they are straight fucked. 

Have to question butler in Houston. Are they trying to get rid of Paul by having jimmy put a hit on him? 

Nothing wrong with Melo/JR as a 8th/9th guy.   They will be on minimum contracts and they probably wont be picked up until later in the process.    Your over-reaction to all things Lakers is over the top.   At least wait until they actually have a roster before wilding out about them.

The Butler to HOU thing makes little sense.   Why would he take 50M less to go play with Harden/CP3 to 6 wks over Embiid and Simmons?

Edited by d2o

No one has done well with melo regardless of his contract size. He was in Houston playing for free as the 3rd wheel and he couldn’t be happy. Everyone always says it’s different this time and it hasn’t ever been different since he left denver. That take is more on melo than it is on the lakers. But I do think JR is a dumb add but those adds are necessary because of the mismanagement of the AD trade. 

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

No one has done well with melo regardless of his contract size. He was in Houston playing for free as the 3rd wheel and he couldn’t be happy. Everyone always says it’s different this time and it hasn’t ever been different since he left denver. That take is more on melo than it is on the lakers. But I do think JR is a dumb add but those adds are necessary because of the mismanagement of the AD trade. 

JR has his issues but he also is a good defender and pretty good shooter.    If you are depending on him consistently, then I would agree.    If he is just a late rotation guy, which I suspect he would be for the Lakers this yr, there is nothing wrong with him on a min deal. 

How could the AD trade have been managed better to help them sign better players this yr in your opinion?

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Nothing wrong with Melo/JR as a 8th/9th guy.   They will be on minimum contracts and they probably wont be picked up until later in the process.    Your over-reaction to all things Lakers is over the top.   At least wait until they actually have a roster before wilding out about them.

The Butler to HOU thing makes little sense.   Why would he take 50M less to go play with Harden/CP3 to 6 wks over Embiid and Simmons?

I respect Morey's focus on finding talent at any cost, even if it isn't always a perfect fit.  Usually, I'm all about just getting as many good, smart basketball players as you can, and figuring the rest out later.  BUT, their obsession with Butler is weird to me as well.  Especially if it costs them Capela and Tucker.  Is Butler going to be the nominal power forward, with Nene or some other scrub as their only true big?  I get that Capela doesn't match up particularly well with Golden State...but he wouldn't be pretty damn useful against AD??  Also, Butler played good soldier this year, sacrificing shots and touches in Philly...in a contract year.  What role is he going to be happy with in Houston's offense moving forward?

Side note: I will believe that LeBron actually wants to play with Melo when I see it.  Until then, they're just trying to drum up artificial interest for a friend.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I respect Morey's focus on finding talent at any cost, even if it isn't always a perfect fit.  Usually, I'm all about just getting as many good, smart basketball players as you can, and figuring the rest out later.  BUT, their obsession with Butler is weird to me as well.  Especially if it costs them Capela and Tucker.  Is Butler going to be the nominal power forward, with Nene or some other scrub as their only true big?  I get that Capela doesn't match up particularly well with Golden State...but he wouldn't be pretty damn useful against AD??  Also, Butler played good soldier this year, sacrificing shots and touches in Philly...in a contract year.  What role is he going to be happy with in Houston's offense moving forward?

Side note: I will believe that LeBron actually wants to play with Melo when I see it.  Until then, they're just trying to drum up artificial interest for a friend.

Eventually Melo will get that he won't be a major contributor.    At that point I think LBJ would be good with having him on his team.    I am not sure if that is this yr but it probably will happen.

Butler hasn't really gotten along with any of his last 3 teams over the last 3 yrs.   I cannot imagine with a contract in place he would be good with standing in a corner and waiting for Harden to pass him the ball.

This is hilarious. Lakers should just cut lebron before he turns this 7 or 8 year hole into 10+