Getting old sucks

Hate

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

A few nights ago, the doctors told my mother-in-law that she had a stroke. These two residents looked at her and with 100% certainty said yes you’ve had a stroke.

The next morning, the neurologist took a look at her MRI, and said no you didn’t have a stroke, you have four masses (cysts) on your brain.

I should have known that something was up when the overnight charge nurse gave a side-eyed glance at the two fledgling doctors (residents) and said I haven’t seen those two here before.

So, we are off to Memorial Hermann and their fine neurosurgeons.

This morning, another doctor told her that the cause of her cysts is pork in her diet. That, in order to prevent future problems, she should stop eating pork. And that doctor’s last name is Mohammed.

Begs the question - cancer? Pork. COPD? Pork. Hangnail? Pork.

image.jpeg.0ab3bd304aaddd63f2819caaecfb9029.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/1/2023 at 11:35 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep, those damned dogs. About 20 years ago when we still owned the motel we were up there and I took our 4 yo golden for his evening walk. I stopped at the office to check on things before going to bed. Just stepped out of the office when a cat came around the corner and all hell broke loose. I had Rockys leash up around my wrist when Rocky decided to play kill the cat. The action? Jerked me into and up and over the hood of my Eldorado.  The result? Torn rotator cuff on my left shoulder, 3 broken ribs on my right side. Lesson learned? Damned dogs be strong and fast, and never put leash up over your wrist where you can't let go.

About 20 years ago, that was a humblebrag.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 3:01 PM, Armybrat said:

Well holy crap!
I just received a recorded call from United Healthcare/Medicare that they will NOT approve my Aorta Valve Replacement procedure which is scheduled for September 28th. 
The recording said I & my doctor will receive a letter stating such, and if I/we want to appeal, follow the instructions in the letter.
I am at a loss for words.

Get with your Cardiologist.  My Dad has sat in limbo for years, waiting with "sooner or later, you'll need a new valve, but your ultrasound says it isn't quite there yet", so he got it checked twice a year while he lived his life symptom-free.

Even with his recent TAVR, his "numbers" were still so close to the borderline, but, because of his increasing symptoms, his cardiologist submitted a peer-to-peer review and analysis and submitted it to Medicare.  It took weeks, but finally got approved.  

In your situation, I'm betting it's a clerical error...a checked box that didn't compute.  Your cardiologist should be able to resubmit with your recent test results, findings.  Fortunately, you have time to sort it out. 

Good luck.  Hope that helps!

By the way...didja poop yet?  Did I miss it?

My cardio docs have been watching my scans closely for a year & a half (scan every 6 months) and said I’m well into the severe range after being borderline 6 moths ago. He said it is definitely necessary to do the TAVR.

Left a message with him about the disapproval late Thursday, but haven’t heard back yet. Guess he’s cooling off at a resort up in the mountains somewhere over the holiday weekend.

I assume the official reject letters to both of us will come in the snail mail later this week.

(Did a turbo dose of magnesium citrate one morning & evening last week to get the gut unclogged). 
Lost 2.2 pounds at the next two sittings.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Damn you old age. Damn you to hell.

I'm in my late 50s, and I work hard to stay in shape.   I ran a challenging half marathon in July; I lift 3 times a week; I get on the road bike at least once a week.   

But what I don't normally do is sprint. 

I went to the park to help my son work on some football technique. Specifically route running and getting faster off the line of scrimmage.  The third time I ran a slant I felt my hamstring tear.  I lasted all of 3 plays before my leg blew up.  I should have known better; and now it's hard to even walk.   

A typical movie trope is an evil-old person sucking the life-force from a young person;  I now identify with the old people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Damn you old age. Damn you to hell.

I'm in my late 50s, and I work hard to stay in shape.   I ran a challenging half marathon in July; I lift 3 times a week; I get on the road bike at least once a week.   

But what I don't normally do is sprint. 

I went to the park to help my son work on some football technique. Specifically route running and getting faster off the line of scrimmage.  The third time I ran a slant I felt my hamstring tear.  I lasted all of 3 plays before my leg blew up.  I should have known better; and now it's hard to even walk.   

A typical movie trope is an evil-old person sucking the life-force from a young person;  I now identify with the old people.

Jogging, biking, casual lifting  and shit like that is fine for old guys. Cutting, stopping quick, power cleans shit like that is NOT for old guys. 

• Hook 'Em 4

My tennis elbow in my right arm is so bad, I can't pick up a glass without yelping in pain. I can hardly make a fist. In a cruel twist of fate, it has absolutely no negative effects on my ability to do my job, so I haven't been too motivated to seek medical attention. Maybe I should just go to the doctor but I feel like he'll say there's nothing he can do. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sandman said:

My tennis elbow in my right arm is so bad, I can't pick up a glass without yelping in pain. I can hardly make a fist. In a cruel twist of fate, it has absolutely no negative effects on my ability to do my job, so I haven't been too motivated to seek medical attention. Maybe I should just go to the doctor but I feel like he'll say there's nothing he can do. 

I resemble this remark, except my left arm. What the hell?!?

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

Had it twice - inside the elbow and out.

traditional doctor won’t be able to do much. 

you may be in the phase where serious rest is needed.  But in addition you will need rehab. Theraband exercises are the best.  They actually saved me from my second bout getting worse. My first one went as far as yours and I wasn’t well for 14 months. 

THERABAND FlexBar, Tennis Elbow Therapy Bar, Relieve Tendonitis Pain & Improve Grip Strength, Resistance Bar for Golfers Elbow & Tendinitis, Green, Medium, Intermediate https://a.co/d/8eq1ft6

first bout I did platelet therapy and I don’t think that did anything. 

so I’d rest, Theraband, stretch, use topical pain relief so you can avoid popping pills (I’ve got some good cbd based topicals I can get at a discount for you), and deep tissue work can help. I also did some dry needle work too I think it helped. Ice doesn’t do much other than provide temporary pain relief.

bottom line if you can avoid steroids and surgery you’re doing well. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

You should get one of these.  Keeps the tendon from pulling on the elbow allowing the inflammation to subside.  Using a traditional mouse can exacerbate the problem.  Leaf blower and hand-held HEB baskets are by far the worst for me.

spacer.png 

Sigh.  Yesterday, I decided to work outside to build a new firewood rack to connect to our tiered side patio.  Moving, cutting, assembling lots of lumber, then moving a heavy structure into position. Then stacking all our firewood on top, and some other shit underneath.  In the heat.

Had to take 4 material breaks to go inside and cool off.  And muscle soreness....fucking EVERYWHERE.  Seriously, the kind of shit I'd have done casually in my teens and twenties, now made me hurt so bad it was hard to sleep (ibuprofen, which ain't great for my heart and BP anyway, hardly helped).  Fucking hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  Yesterday, I decided to work outside to build a new firewood rack to connect to our tiered side patio.  Moving, cutting, assembling lots of lumber, then moving a heavy structure into position. Then stacking all our firewood on top, and some other shit underneath.  In the heat.

Had to take 4 material breaks to go inside and cool off.  And muscle soreness....fucking EVERYWHERE.  Seriously, the kind of shit I'd have done casually in my teens and twenties, now made me hurt so bad it was hard to sleep (ibuprofen, which ain't great for my heart and BP anyway, hardly helped).  Fucking hell.

samsies. pulling weeds back in june and holy hell could not move for two days.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

You should get one of these.  Keeps the tendon from pulling on the elbow allowing the inflammation to subside.  Using a traditional mouse can exacerbate the problem.  Leaf blower and hand-held HEB baskets are by far the worst for me.

spacer.png 

I use something like that for tennis for sure. I could totally see that being useful if mouse work is what caused the pain.  my experience is it simply dampens the strain on the tendon almost like a tourniquet stopping blood flow.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I actually have a theraband, I got it when I was having issues with my other arm. I have a sleeve as well but it doesn't seem to do anything for this new pain. I'll admit I haven't used the theraband much, I guess I'll get started with that. Thanks for the info!

I’ll +1 what others above have said on TE.  I battled it for 20 months around 2014-2016.  Tried everything mentioned above except the PRP.  That was the next thing on my list.   I was scheduled for surgery but a friend who is an ortho surgeon talked me out of it.  Too high a percentage of failure.  I also did the Graston treatment.  Hurt like hell.  It’s basically aggressively rubbing the pain location on the elbow with a dull knife-like instrument for 5 minutes.  I had several of those treatments and I saw some relief.  Ice didn’t do anything but i think heat helped a bit.  I also did electro therapy.  Ultimately,  not sure if anything really worked or if it was just resting it for 20 months.  I still wear the Band-it brace when I play tennis.  Feels like insurance.  And I was taking a bunch of Advil the whole time.  It eventually hurt my kidney function.  Kidneys returned to normal after I stopped.  So watch the drugs.  

On 9/2/2023 at 12:07 PM, BearSchlong said:

We eat quite a bit of Rabideaux sausage from Iowa, Louisiana. Who knows what they put in it, but it's by far the best for Gumbo. My MIL with the brain cysts is a Boudreaux.

It's Bob Stoops endorsed and approved so I'm sure you'll be fine....or not.

Might have to change your username though.

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:
We finally received the official paper mail from the health insurance about the disapproval of next week’s exploratory procedure. J then called the doctor’s office (they received the same) to sort it all, but the lady there had already fixed it. 
Seems the doctor had made a typo in his submission request, so she sent the corrected form which was approved.
After next week’s angiogram, they will then submit the form to do the actual valve implant. They said there will be no problem because my case is well into the necessary numbers for that procedure. (Provided the doctor enters no typos)
So all is good in that department.

I love typo's. I had a urologist tell me there was a 86% chance I had prostate cancer only to call me a few days later saying they checked the wrong box and it was actually less than 2%.

• Rage+1 4

Got one of these bad boys for doing misc work around the house/work... I really have no idea why I waited so long. I used to schedule my activies to spread things out so I didn't "really" screw up my back.  Now I'm able to only schedule things (still old) so as to not over do it on a weekend...  I probably should get the hard hat too.

image.png.08b7134efc59a3b68803eb112a8cd82d.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A few years back I had an MRI to check my rotator cuff for a tear. 
The doc who looked at the scan and sent out the automatic result email stated I had multiple myeloma stage 4 in my shoulder bone. 
I called my primary doctor who scheduled a whole body scan that next week. 
That one showed that the “mass” in the bone was just bleeding from a fracture. 
Anotherscan a month later and it was all gone.

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Got one of these bad boys for doing misc work around the house/work... I really have no idea why I waited so long. I used to schedule my activies to spread things out so I didn't "really" screw up my back.  Now I'm able to only schedule things (still old) so as to not over do it on a weekend...  I probably should get the hard hat too.

Think you'll fit right in.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

In some circumstances the hard hat can improve your sex life. Usually requires a tool belt too.  

I'm 48 and my numbers have been not great since I turned 40.  Yearly physical and everything came back better than the previous 3.  Only real change was upping my exercise.

Calcium CT scan score was zero (first time I had done that).

Cholesterol down to 167.

Even my liver looks good.

I did have to have 2 spots biopsied by my dermo.  Let's hope that's not a problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Angiogram went smoothly this morning . Doc stuck the catheter in through the wrist. No need for a stent so pipes are clear for heart valve replacement in two weeks.

F9813FA5-0B76-429A-B916-654CD789A448.jpeg

Can you hold and fire a 1911 .45 with that hand?

Coaching 9-10yo flag football. I have to do the full warm up routine with them. If not, I’ll definitely pull a hammy or back trying to keep up with them.  When I’m warmed up, I can almost cover the wheel rout as a safety.  Not the black kids though. They’re fast. 

15 hours ago, Elvis said:

Coaching 9-10yo flag football. I have to do the full warm up routine with them. If not, I’ll definitely pull a hammy or back trying to keep up with them.  When I’m warmed up, I can almost cover the wheel rout as a safety.  Not the black kids though. They’re fast. 

I'd need to see some film but a common mistake when covering a wheel route is running sideways to where the RB is, then having to chase him up the sideline to where he's going,  which let's face it probably isn't going to go your way unless the throw hits you in the back since you're an adult and they are children.  Best way to cover a wheel, especially since you called the play and know what's coming, is to run diagonally to the sideline downfield and read the qb and pick that cocky little bastard off.