Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

However, there was an old supermarket chain aroud here that made breakfast pizza.  It was fucking amazing.  Doughy crust, sharp cheddar cheese, and eggs, bacon, sausage........

IIRC, Mangia at ABIA used to have a breakfast pizza that I'd get on occasion, and it was pretty damned good.

Best breakfast I have had was smoked trout hash with hatch chiles, poached eggs, and hollandaise at Cafe Pasquals in Santa Fe.

Most frequent Saturday breakfast at our house is German (also called Dutch) Pancakes with butter, fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Way better made with farm eggs. Always a side of bacon. Sometimes with sauteed apples. Sometimes with fresh berries.e75cfb92ee7e53d88c7f394ff356fa0d.jpg

On 5/21/2019 at 12:25 AM, Mr.Hovis said:

I like to have breakfast twice whenever I can. When I get up I'm ready for coffee but not on a empty stomach, so something easy like cereal, oatmeal, toast with jam etc. Couple hours later is when the real breakfast urge hits and it's a lot of the stuff already mentioned along with one of my favorites huevous montulenos.  Maybe the second breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Dad? 

Pop was an early riser, especially on vacations and would occasionally go out for breakfast on his own and then eat a 2nd breakfast once everyone else was up and ready to eat. 

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Most frequent Saturday breakfast at our house is German (also called Dutch) Pancakes with butter, fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Way better made with farm eggs. Always a side of bacon. Sometimes with sauteed apples. Sometimes with fresh berries.e75cfb92ee7e53d88c7f394ff356fa0d.jpg

You know, this sounds and looks good, but I'm more of a basic big protein breakfast kind of a guy.  Dishes with lots of meat (#nohomo) and eggs, and some jalapenos or other peppers for a kick.  No fruit, pastries or other sweets, and skillet potatoes and flour tortillas are the only real starches or breads I'll eat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Fucking hobbit...

Gotta admit, I didn't know what the connection was to breakfast and hobbits. Had to google it since I haven't watched any hobbit related movies. Don't care. Already had some shredded wheat and bananas and saw that there's some leftover pork loin from last night. That's gonna get chopped up for breakfast tacos in about two hours.

47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You know, this sounds and looks good, but I'm more of a basic big protein breakfast kind of a guy.  Dishes with lots of meat (#nohomo) and eggs, and some jalapenos or other peppers for a kick.  No fruit, pastries or other sweets, and skillet potatoes and flour tortillas are the only real starches or breads I'll eat.

Yup.  Sweets, pancakes, or lots of breads are things I try to avoid with breakfast.  Protein guy all the way.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cold pizza, next topic.

Ew I agree with you on something.

Saturday family tradition in my house growing up was seeing who would wake up the earliest between my sister and I to get to last of the leftover pizza from the fridge for breakfast.  Rough and tumble fights going down the stairs, really. 

30 minutes ago, Mr.Hovis said:

Gotta admit, I didn't know what the connection was to breakfast and hobbits. Had to google it since I haven't watched any hobbit related movies. Don't care. Already had some shredded wheat and bananas and saw that there's some leftover pork loin from last night. That's gonna get chopped up for breakfast tacos in about two hours.

There is no shame there.  It was a funny part of Lord of the Rings.

Breakfast is good.  Why notdo it twice?

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I tend to agree with you, but my wife and kids usually like things on the sweeter side.  The good thing about the German pancakes is that they are VERY easy and require only about 3 minutes of active time to mix the 3 ingredients (eggs, milk, flour).  The remaining 20 minutes is in the oven and they are all done at once.  So perfect for a Saturday.  They actually require a large amount of eggs.  Our family of 5 goes through a dozen eggs every time we make them.

If you're not curing your own pork belly to make bacon you're missing out.  Stupid simple and if you have a vacuum sealer, easy to save all different types/recipes.  

Eggs/bacon/avocado slices.  Simple.  High in protein.  High in fats.  Throw in some homemade sourdough bread/honey and Irish butter, damn near perfect.  For dinner - even better!

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

If you're not curing your own pork belly to make bacon you're missing out.  Stupid simple and if you have a vacuum sealer, easy to save all different types/recipes.  

let's hear more about this.  what's the best way you've found?

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Start out searching “sweeter than sweet cure” . Drunk now , ain’t showing links. Get some, it’s really easy. I haven’t tried it but it’s also supposed to really tame wild boar fwiw.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, F250 said:

That's some straight up California bullshit. Keep your breakfast burritos over on the West coast. I don't want to unwrap a burrito to add salsa or hot sauce.

Burrito also lacks diversity. Yes you can put everything In It, but the simple smaller taco allows for more variety. 

1. Bacon Egg Potato and cheese

1. Egg and Bean

1. Egg and Chorizo

etc etc. I am not confined by your exclusionary “one size fits all” burritos 

• Like 3

Growing up, Saturday morning breakfast was often my dad making scrambled eggs with chorizo.  Not in a taco, just straight on the plate.  When I smelled that, I knew it was time to get my tail moving.  And that's still one of my favorite breakfast foods of all time.  In a taco, straight, I even like it on a piece of toast.

I actually forgot all about one of my favorite breakfasts, because I haven't had it in a while. Sucuk (Turkish sausage), sliced into rounds no more than a centimeter or two thick, fried, and served with scrambled eggs. Get the "hot" obviously. Turks who like spice like really good, flavorful varieties of hot paprika, but Turks who don't like spice cook some of the blandest shit you've ever laid taste buds on.

0003861_beef-sucuk-hot_480.jpeg

On May 23, 2019 at 8:03 PM, gsoda3 said:

Started out buying and curing pork bellies from Costco.  Bought simple pink salts online.  7 days in the fridge and you're good to go.  There are so many cures you can buy and cure recipes.  Tried sweet but didn't like.  I prefer a thick cut with heavy pepper.  1/2 in to 3/4 in cut.  Start with half the the pork belly.  Cube the other half and make pork burnt ends!

• Like 1

Not really a fan of breakfast. Just don't like eating in the morning. Will cook breakfast for the kids and wife... Typical waffles or pancakes or breakfast burritos or whatever. 

But on those rare occasions I do want to eat in the morning it is a new York strip with sauteed japs and maybe a shallot and a couple runny eggs on top. Coffee. Black.  

There was a time when I would have said "oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins."

While still pretty tasty on occasion, ain't nowhere near the top. Can't believe none of you fitness freaks that make up this place haven't dropped "oatmeal" even once.

Just now, deadshank said:

Oatmeal is terrible.  Sure, I'll eat it but it is not good.  

If you add enough brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins such that it's approaching some type of cinnamon roll sweetness, though, even my kids would eat it once a week in grade school.

Just had scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and japs with Valentina hot sauce on top with a couple pieces of thick cut bacon, some hot Owens sausage, white toast with butter and grape jelly.
And 2 cups of coffee with Buffalo Trace bourbon cream.
It was glorious and I think I’m gonna go take a nap in a bit.

• Like 2