2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

Nobody calls countries by their native name, although I'm not sure why. Country names, like most things, are translated. But person names are not. It is indeed a bit weird.
We are Amerikas förenta stater in Sweden.
Also, I guess I should say here that person names aren't translated unless they're based on a different alphabet.

43 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I haven't seen a replay of the goal itself, but from what I am reading it looks like it was meant to be a cross into the middle of the box that was deflected in.

It was definitely a shot.  Haven't seen any replays after the VAR review, but it looked to me like if there was a deflection, it was a glancing deflection as opposed to a full on redirect by the defender.  Didn't seem like it would have affected the keeper's chances for a save, but I'm not sure since I wasn't able to watch it again. 

seems like the official scoring was always an OG from other comments here, and the coverage on Fox was just not correct initially, then reported it was "changed" to an own goal, instead of more truthfully saying something like "we incorrectly reported that it was a goal credited to Heath"

anyway.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

this is probably not the thread for this, but why don't we call countries by their actual name? sverige = sweden, and it's not that exotic of a pronunciation.

I’ve wondered why we translate Dominican Republic and Cuba but not Puerto Rico or El Salvador or Costa Rica. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve wondered why we translate Dominican Republic and Cuba but not Puerto Rico or El Salvador or Costa Rica. 

Because republic is a proper noun used as not just a name but a comment on the nation's establishment and the others are names. 

Not claiming any rhyme or reason just seems straightforward with those examples. Same reason we abbreviated it USSR and not CCCP, and how you get EEUU.

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

Seems like broadcasters have been going back and forth on Ivory Coast for a few years now.
Country name talk not going away.

First time I noticed any of this was the "Torino Winter Olympics in 2006" that I thought was to take place in Turin, Italy.

But later that year, Germany did in fact host the FIFA Men's World Cup, because Deutschland didn't make the tournament.

1 minute ago, RamjetFDO said:
2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:
Let's see what the Matildas can do.  They've been fun to watch.

Kerr heard you. That was damned close!

just as i was typing that, Kerr with a sweet move.  that would have been a great goal.  come on you Aussies!

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

Germany won today and get the winner of Sweden-Canada that don't play until Monday.  Good job there FIFA.

yeah, Germany gets a full week of rest.  they play next Saturday.  the other quarterfinal games are Thursday and Friday.  so some teams will get screwed on rest.

34 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

More annoying than Taylor Twellman when he's doing commentary?

Lalas provides more annoyance per minute, but I will concede that Taylor “wins” on total shittiness accumulated per match.