Today’s mass shooting

Gil Bang

Great idea, try to make a point about the dismissive nature of shootings in America, but instead create a completely uninformed post that will only serve as an all encompassing catch-all thread to put all the mass shootings so that they can be more easily summarily dismissed.

Initial reports were that somebody opened fire in a Costco, leaving 1 dead and 2 wounded.  If that doesn't sound like a mass-shooting to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Did you really expect it to be an off-duty LAPD cop that opened fire?  Because I did not. 

Edited by Gil Bang

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Initial reports were that somebody opened fire in a Costco, leaving 1 dead and 2 wounded.  If that doesn't sound like a mass-shooting to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Did you really expect it to be an off-duty LAPD cop that opened fire?  Because I did not. 

So you pulled a CNN and just threw some shit out there without trying to verify it? Just to be first.

• Haha 2

An off-duty Los Angeles Police Department Officer fatally shot one man and wounded two others Friday after he was "assaulted" while shopping with his family at a Corona Costco store, officials said Saturday.

Initial reports that the incident was due to an active shooter and that there may have been more than one gun involved in the shooting proved unfounded, the Corona Police Department said in a written statement issued Saturday evening.

Authorities investigate the scene of a shooting that left one man dead and two people wounded at a Costco store in Corona on June 14, 2019. (Credit: KTLA)

Authorities investigate the scene of a shooting that left one man dead and two people wounded at a Costco store in Corona on June 14, 2019. (Credit: KTLA)

Kenneth French, 32, of Riverside died at the scene of the shooting, Corona police said. Two of French's family members were critically wounded. Their ages, genders and relationships to the dead man were not released Saturday.

The incident unfolded about 7:45 p.m. at the Costco, 480 N. McKinely Street as the off-duty officer, described as a patrol officer assigned to the LAPD's Southwest Division, was shopping with his family, officials said.

"Without provocation, a male unknown to the officer’s family assaulted the officer while the officer was holding his young child," according to the Corona police statement. "This attack resulted in the officer firing his weapon, striking the male and two of the male's family members. "

The two wounded family members were hospitalized in critical condition Saturday, officials said.

The involved officer, whose name was withheld, was treated for minor injuries at a hospital and released a short time later. It was unclear what type of injuries he suffered or how he was assaulted. Police made no mention of any weapons used by the alleged attacker.

The statement released by Corona police did not accuse the two wounded family members who accompanied the suspect of any wrongdoing.

Officials said the officer's child was not hurt.

"The officer's gun was the only weapon involved in the incident, contrary to earlier reports," the Corona police statement said. "As is standard procedure in such investigations, the Corona Police Department is working closely with the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office who will be evaluating the facts and circumstances of this incident."

Everyone involved in the shooting was believed to have been accounted for, police said. No arrests had been made Saturday, though the officer was initially detained as a possible suspect early in the investigation.

Los Angeles police officials joined Corona police investigators at the scene.

"The Department has initiated an Administrative Investigation and is working with the Corona Police Department to learn more about the incident," the LAPD said in written statement.

The agency provided no further details about the officer's role in the shooting, deferring comment to Corona police.

Corona police arrived at the scene just over a minute after receiving reports of gunfire, the department said.

Officers found four people injured on the floor, the Corona Police Department said. French died at the scene, while the remaining three — including the off-duty officer — were taken to hospitals, the agency said.

In a 9:09 p.m. tweet on Friday, the agency announced that the incident had been stabilized and that there was "no apparent threat to our community from any outstanding persons."

The shots triggered panic in the wholesale retail store, with some shoppers trying to escape through emergency doors that wouldn't open, according to witnesses.

"It's not very fun when you're scared and you're running for your life, and you're trying to open a door that says 'emergency' and they don't open," Rochelle Flores said. "Everybody was freaking out. People were falling over each other."

Customers ended up exiting through the front entrance, Naveed Navi said.

Cellphone footage from inside the store captured frightened customers, with audible screaming and alarms. Nikki Tate, the shopper who recorded the video, said she heard six or seven shots.

Another video from the scene showed paramedics wheeling one person on a gurney into an ambulance.

Officials collected cell phones, backpacks and other personal items left behind by shoppers who fled the store amid the gunfire, Corona police said. Those items were stored for safekeeping and are available for pickup by contacting the department.

Anyone with information about the incident can contact Lt. Robert Newman by calling him at 951-817-5788 or sending him an email at Robert.Newman@CoronaCA.gov.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:10 AM, RoundRobin said:

If they are shooting the assholes blocking the aisle while they eat a meal of free samples then I’m ok with it. 

Holy shit, so terrible. And yet, best post in this thread.

So, the man killed was mentally handicapped and non-verbal. The other two our hero shot were his elderly parents.

The victim probably bumped into the hero, hero became enraged when he didn’t get an apology and he exercised his cop rights right then and there.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/us/costco-shooting-questions/index.html

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

So, the man killed was mentally handicapped and non-verbal. The other two our hero shot were his elderly parents.

The victim probably bumped into the hero, hero became enraged when he didn’t get an apology and he exercised his cop rights right then and there.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/us/costco-shooting-questions/index.html

11577017.jpg

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Serious question, is this a “mass shooting”? Obviously this piece of shit murdered his kids and their chaperone but I wouldn’t think this qualifies as a mass shooting. When you say that you think postal workers, church/school shootings, mall or workplace shooting where some loon walks in with a gun and start firing on people near randomly.  As horrible as this gun violence is I’m just not sure it qualifies, yes technically he shot more than two people in this quadruple homicide but it seems disingenuous to call it a mass shooting, at least from my point of view.

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Serious question, is this a “mass shooting”? Obviously this piece of shit murdered his kids and their chaperone but I wouldn’t think this qualifies as a mass shooting. When you say that you think postal workers, church/school shootings, mall or workplace shooting where some loon walks in with a gun and start firing on people near randomly.  As horrible as this gun violence is I’m just not sure it qualifies, yes technically he shot more than two people in this quadruple homicide but it seems disingenuous to call it a mass shooting, at least from my point of view.

And he bumped his own thread from almost 3 years ago.

Bold move.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Fair point.  It was a mass execution of loved ones using the deadliest thing easily availed to him.  Judging by the ages of the kids, one of them could have kicked out a car window had he tried CO poisoning.  The chaperone and older one could have rushed him if he had tried to stab them all.  Etc. etc. etc.  You get the idea.  But sounds like, and we don't know and that's part of the fucking problem in this country, but sounds like he was probably unhinged and was gonna do this one way or the other.  But I can't think of any scenario other than firearms where he gets all 5 that fast.  Obviously this man must have had red flags in his background check.  

A father shot and killed his three children inside the Church in Sacramento before shooting and killing himself during what Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said was a supervised visit. The fifth victim was a person supervising the visit.Jones said the mother has a restraining order against the father. Sacramento County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Rodney Grassmann said the three children killed were all girls. They were 9, 10 and 13 years old.

Grassmann also said people with restraining orders against them are not legally allowed to have a firearm.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Rage+1 1

My god, three little girls.  Plus a person who's prize sin was wanting to make sure three little girls were okay in the company of a man with a violent backstory.  

Whoever gave him that gun should get four in the skull, one for each of 'em.  I'm not talking about gun manufacturer or gun sales liability cases here.  I'm talking about three dead little bodies in a house of God.  

We're just inventing new ways to murder each other these days it seems.  

My god, three little girls.  Plus a person who's prize sin was wanting to make sure three little girls were okay in the company of a man with a violent backstory.  
Whoever gave him that gun should get four in the skull, one for each of 'em.  I'm not talking about gun manufacturer or gun sales liability cases here.  I'm talking about three dead little bodies in a house of God.  
We're just inventing new ways to murder each other these days it seems.  

If I got a restraining order put on me tomorrow I would bet they have better things to do than see if I owned firearms.

I’m not defending this POS at all but think about it. Restraining order in place by the judge and that’s it.

If he gave up his guns he would still have done what he did.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

If I got a restraining order put on me tomorrow I would bet they have better things to do than see if I owned firearms.

I’m not defending this POS at all but think about it. Restraining order in place by the judge and that’s it.

If he gave up his guns he would still have done what he did.

True.  But there aren’t many other ways to kill five people that fast.  I would like to think in some other scenario 1 or 2 of them could have either pleaded with him or bum rushed him.  Probably not, a church of dead family just sickens me.  

34 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Deadliest US mass murderer was the asshole who just needed a gallon of gas to kill 87 people at the Happy Land Social Club in The Bronx, NY.
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Very true.  Thankfully most crazy Americans are not that well-versed in the ways of explosives.  We should be so lucky to live in a country with so many stupid peopleWe should be so lucky to live in a country with so many stupid people

37 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I stopped the sale of 2 guns to a lady today - she had the crazy look and I didn’t feel comfortable about it. My call 100% - so gun sellers DO try and filter out the bad ones.

No doubt.  And thank you for what you do to keep the truly dangerous from getting weapons.  We'll never know the story on this horrific shitshow, I'm just clinging to the fact that maybe if he had chosen a slower method...he'd have looked one of his kids in the eye and stopped.  But here we are.  And there they were.

You've probably seen the full spectrum of humanity trying to buy guns.  90%, totally normal and sane, just doing their thing.  5% a little weird, maybe do a double background check.  And 5% where your gut and the computer say "no fucking way."  I'm glad you're standing the watch.  The real issue, if we're all honest, is the truly dangerous among us don't look dangerous.  They hide in plain sight and seem even affable compared to most people.  

Like this woman who makes Lorena Bobbit look like a girl scout?

https://toofab.com/2022/03/02/wisconsin-woman-chokes-lover-to-death-during-sex-then-dismembers-him-police/?fbclid=IwAR1J-R2OTjBBS86-IKmSH5kNsaEND1p3HuCHLRqJTQD6_5V5gdsNZ1unlsk

Wisconsin Woman Chokes Lover to Death During Sex — Then Dismembers Him: Police

NewsBy TooFab Staff|3/2/2022 3:05 PM PT
  •  
  •  
  •  
6cc0b829d07148f199716955a38a7be0_md.jpg   Brown County Jail

Police say they found his head and 'male organ' in a bucket, and his legs in a crock pot.

A Wisconsin woman choked her lover to death during a drug-fueled sex romp — and then dismembered him, according to police.

Edited by Armybrat