USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

12 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

According to the Dallas Morning News, Oscar Pareja has become a candidate for the USMNT job...

Report: Pareja "interview" for USMNT head coach job didn't happen

The search for the next U.S. national team coach is close to hitting the one-year mark, which might explain the reaction when a report emerged Monday claiming Oscar Pareja had been interviewed for the job.

By Monday night, a conflicting report emerged, with Yahoo Sports reporting that the Pareja ‘interview’ with U.S. Soccer officials didn’t happen.

“There was no meeting,” a U.S. Soccer source told Yahoo Sports.

U.S. Men’s National Team general manager Earnie Stewart stated in September that a new head coach would be hired by the end of the year, and potentially as early as November.

Columbus Crew coach Gregg Berhalter is believed to be the frontrunner for the USMNT job, though Pareja is a qualified candidate if he is indeed being considered.

https://sbisoccer.com/2018/09/report-pareja-interview-for-usmnt-head-coach-job-didnt-happen

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Weston McKennie scores in the 88th minute to give his team the lead in a CL game. 

McKennie giving Schalke the lead and the win!

I looked to see if Pulisic scored as well, but he wasn't even on the bench, much less starting and scoring.

I'm still kind of sick that Michael Bradley is actually getting called into the camp. If he plays more than 1/2 of 1 game, I think that US Soccer needs their heads examined.

5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Hopefully gets him out of international duty as well. 

Agree.

He doesn't need to come in until next March. He can play with some of the top young guys as the coaches figure out their plan for the Gold Cup... which might not mean anything if there isn't a Confederations Cup in 2021.

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I’m losing a lot of interest.

I never pay attention this time of the WC cycle anymore, it's pointless, unless you care about the Gold Cup.  Meaningless International games are best spent taking a break and enjoying a fall weekend without having to get up early.  We'll know who the USMNT is in about 2 years, unless you watch the Bundesliga.  I guess I used to care when there was very little soccer on T.V., but now that we have access to every league, it's better to just watch high level soccer instead of the crap we're putting out there. 

• Like 1

To second Derty on this, and I care about the Gold Cup.

But to take this even further - without a permanent coach installed, what does this even matter who is playing? Sure, the young guys are getting experience, but right now their club play is a million times more important what they get with the national team. Ok, I guess they are getting used to playing with one another, but under what system?

In fact, why the fuck doesn't the MNT have a permanent coach yet!?!?!??!? It doesn't make any sense that we haven't hired anyone full-time yet. Seriously, WTF?!?!?

45 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

To second Derty on this, and I care about the Gold Cup.

But to take this even further - without a permanent coach installed, what does this even matter who is playing? Sure, the young guys are getting experience, but right now their club play is a million times more important what they get with the national team. Ok, I guess they are getting used to playing with one another, but under what system?

In fact, why the fuck doesn't the MNT have a permanent coach yet!?!?!??!? It doesn't make any sense that we haven't hired anyone full-time yet. Seriously, WTF?!?!?

We have plenty of talent to compete. I'd rather take our time finding a player's coach that can bring these guys together than rushing to install something for the sake of crossing it off the to-do list. 

We don't need any gimmicky bullshit to be a top side. We're always one of the most physical and well-conditioned countries, and now the talent is catching up. We need to put our best XI out there and have everyone buy in and play hard. 

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Gotta let the MLS season play out a little more to see who the hot prospects are

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there is a special reason.

If Mou comes over and manages USA soccer I'm going to have to become a full-time Ireland or Australia fan.  Some type of underdog that has a little bit of talent and an outside chance to make the WC.  It would be so fucking fitting though.  A one time super power on the decline trying to show the world that old thinking and pulling back in defense is an effective strategy against the free flowing, wide open attacking play of the present world leaders.  

On 10/1/2018 at 3:57 PM, LurkingHorn said:

Why the hell is Bradley anywhere near this team? He was the captain of the most embarrassing WCQ campaign most of us have seen and will ever see. Not to mention he's 31 and in extremely poor form for his club team.  

because MLS said so!

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Why on earth would you post that?

We need to be reminded every year until we make the WC again.  Hold the US Soccer Federation or whatever its called accountable for not qualifying in the worst group in the world.  Fuck that was sickening missing out to a bunch of awful teams -Mexico.  We are not good yet.

• Like 1

We? I'm well aware we missed the World Cup and sure as hell don't need to be reminded. It's not something I'll ever forget or be happy about.

There'd at least be a silver lining if we could look back four, eight, or even 12 years from now and conclude that it was the best thing to ever happen, but it looks like the USSF is gonna keep on, keepin' on and nothing is going to change.

So fuck Captain Ron for posting that shit and fuck you for defending it.

And CONCACAF the "worst group in the world?" Oceania says hi.

3 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

We need to be reminded every year until we make the WC again.  Hold the US Soccer Federation or whatever its called accountable for not qualifying in the worst group in the world.  Fuck that was sickening missing out to a bunch of awful teams -Mexico.  We are not good yet.

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

We? I'm well aware we missed the World Cup and sure as hell don't need to be reminded. It's not something I'll ever forget or be happy about.

I somehow missed this before.  Were you on the team or somehow associated with USA soccer?  I'd love your opinion on what went wrong behind the scenes.  

Thank you for the unnecessary semantics in explanation of groups v confederations.  I understand how it works, it's colloquial and no one says "we qualified through our confederation".  It does make me think you did work for USA soccer.  I have a buddy who used to work there, but left right before the debacle to start a franchise.  

Numbers don't mean shit when talking about qualifying.  I wouldn't feel nearly as bad losing out on a WC spot to Japan/South Korea or some of the African teams.  The CAF is arguably the hardest qualifying "confederation" outside of UEFA/CONMEBOL.  We lost out to fucking Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica.  Shit squads who wouldn't qualify in Asia or Africa.  

21 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

We need to be reminded every year until we make the WC again...  We are not good yet.

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

I somehow missed this before.  Were you on the team or somehow associated with USA soccer?  I'd love your opinion on what went wrong behind the scenes.

Can't tell if you're being this dense on purpose or are just stupid. Probably the former, but that's generously giving you the benefit of the doubt.

No U.S. soccer fan on this board needs to be reminded of what happened a year ago, because nobody has forgotten. Can't recall anyone claiming "it's all better now," or, "it won't ever happen again," either.

You and Captain Ron are being very JNip.

Lulz.  I guess I'm stupid because I'm not being purposefully dense.  Thank you for bolding and highlighting some more for my comprehension and understanding from where your butthurt comes from.  I didn't realize that it was so serious to say 'need' to be reminded of how shit we were on a message board would get you that upset.  Again, it's colloquial.    I'll change my statement for you so it doesn't get you so riled up.  I believe it is a good thing to be reminded of how low we actually sunk last year.  I hope that fans will continue to hold USSF accountable and not follow whatever bs they feed us.  Cleaning house was a great thing, but I get the feeling that came from sponsors losing an assload of money more than anything.  I believe the soccer governing body community is worse than a good ole boys system and it stinks to high heaven.  I also believe that many fans will shell out cash no matter how bad of a product is put out there (MLS is included) out of some bullshit idea that they are helping to build a system that should already be in place. Having a youth training system that is in tatters and doesn't help the average young player after talking about it for 20 years is ridiculous. We continue to allow MLS owners and USSF to insulate themselves from consequences (no relegation for example) while fucking over smaller markets and the youth systems they represent.  I had high hopes 20 years ago that some of this would someday be resolved, but I'm sick of it.  Again, I think it is a good idea to be reminded.  You think that is stupid or dense.  We can agree to disagree.