Seinfeld turns 30 today, time to celebrate

tbone_

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

First half of Season 8 is on Comedy Central right now. Too lazy to click over to Netflix. They’re all BANGERS. Frank cooking, Bizzaro Seinfeld Crew, George as the Bad Boy, Desparado, and Newman interrogation. Greatness. 

I happened to be watching this exact part of the series today on Netflix.  I mean, for me, the odds are pretty high I'll be watching some part of it, but it worked out great today with the historical timing.

Having served Seinfeld before what stands out about him is that he is somewhat anti-social. He was polite and he and Colin Quinn always tipped exceedingly well (Just had to have Diet Coke Bottles on hand for Colin which wasn’t a big deal.) Colin was more gregarious and friendly, but one time I saw Jerry see a young man (who was still enlisted in the army but not in uniform) and he was an aspiring comedian. Just a random coincidence that Seinfeld was there on the same day as he and his buddy. Seinfeld notices how he is eating his breakfast and in the way out the door he did something he almost never did and he stopped and made some quips about his breakfast. It made that young fella’s day. Usually he gets his bicycle helmet on and heads straight out, but it was cool to see him stop and chat because usually it would just be Colin that would talk to folks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Please do me a favor.  When you hit up that restaurant, order some soup and post the pic.  My wife and I will have a much needed laugh.  THE SOUP IS THE MEAL! 

Here's the thing:  I live in North County, and this particular restaurant seems to be a neighborhood joint in an area of San Diego that I don't really frequent.  There's nothing in that part of town to draw me, so who knows if and when I'll use the thing. 

50 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Here's the thing:  I live in North County, and this particular restaurant seems to be a neighborhood joint in an area of San Diego that I don't really frequent.  There's nothing in that part of town to draw me, so who knows if and when I'll use the thing. 

Then you shoulda asked him for his tailored suit instead.  Or course, you’d be stuck in that lavatory with no clothes and have to call your wife in.  Wait, hang on…

17 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Same flight Heathrow-LAX.  We just happened to sit down next to each other waiting for the gate to open (we were both very early), started bullshitting, etc. For those that haven't been to LHR, the gates are literally rooms with doors...not like gates at DFW that are part of the larger terminal. When the gate isn't open, you cannot even get in the room. 

He introduced himself as "Steve".   After a bit, I said "Hey  Steve, you've looked familiar since we met, and I just realized who you are".  He replied "yeah, there are a lot of Seinfeld fans around, even here in London".

His wife is a flight attendant at AA, and she was working the flight.  He ended up not taking the flight because business class was full (with 1% mofos like me) so he said he'd wait and take the first flight the following morning which had a ton of room up front.   He had to wait until the flight was fully boarded to get them to move him back to the next day so we shot the shit for quite a while. 

I didn't go starfucker on him...just shot the shit.   He asked more about me than I did about him.

He does standup now, but almost exclusively corporate gigs.  He lives up near Reno.

Here's how nice he was:  he called his wife (from the gate) after I boarded to tell her that "Gil" is in Business Class and is from San Diego.  His wife came to me and introduced herself, and gave me a gift card to an Italian joint in SD.  She said that they are big golfers, won it in a golf tourney (as part of a gift basket) and never get to SD, and she had carried the thing in her purse for months.  

So, yeah, Bania is buying ME a meal.   

True story, every word 

This is one of the best stories I've heard this year.  Fucking awesome.

19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I’ll use it.  Send it down.

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's for "The Godfather" on Claremont Mesa.   Any good? 

I live about about a couple miles from it. Pretty solid. Has a hole in the wall, old-timey vibe to it (I assume designed after its namesake). Good food, not pretentious or overly fancy. Used to go somewhat regularly in a life before kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's for "The Godfather"  Any good? 

It's perfect for us, Slippery Pete.  A small family place, good food, tasty spaghetti.  Everyone minds their own business.  Perfect.  They've got an old fashioned toilet as well, you know.  The one with the box and chain thing.  We might be able to tape a gun behind it.  

Jerry moments later, "Look what they did to my boy!"  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I live about about a couple miles from it. Pretty solid. Has a hole in the wall, old-timey vibe to it (I assume designed after its namesake). Good food, not pretentious or overly fancy. Used to go somewhat regularly in a life before kids.

where ya been?  we're tankin' here.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Dude, you are talking to people who live in Austin who think nothing of driving 213 miles to Perini Ranch for a steak.  San Diego county is, what, 60 miles from north to south? Now you stuff your sorries in a sock and go down there and get a meal on Bania, mister! That's too great of a story not to have a conclusion.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I think it was sack...not sock.  Of course, that demands an answer to the question, "Were the sorries regular size and they shrunk them down to fit into a regular sized sack?  Or was it regular size sorries in like a super, terrific giant sized sack?  

Do we need to merge these two threads together because I've got a Mr. Pitt sock thread derail we could get stuff into.  

NTTAWWT

Gonna put this here in case we need a necrobump in 6 months time.  35th anniversary of the pilot episode premiere, 5 July, 1989.  So 35 years in about six months.  Jerry turned 35 when they were filming it.  Michael Richard was about to turn 40 after it debuted.  Julia was of course eternally beautiful then, as she is now.  But the weird one is shortly after the pilot aired, Jason Alexander turned only 30.  That still, to this day, blows my mind.  Or is it so sane that everything you...yadayadayada?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know he's been married, had kids etc. but one thing I carry away from this series besides the hilarity is the character Jerry being a heavily closeted gay person. I mean refusing to participate in a menage a trois because you claim you don't have the "wardrobe" and turning down all manner of hot ass because she yada yada'd, ate her peas one at a time or was Tawny Kitaen. Hell I'm so hard up I'd even fuck man hands. NTTAWWT

Was in the hospital unexpectedly from Oct to Jan.  Comedy Central had/has 4 hours of Seinfeld a day, in order.   Amazingly therapeutic.  IMO S1/S2 aren't on the same level as the rest but there wasn't a single episode where I thought it sucked.

I am in awe of how well the series has held up.  I was at Texas 91-96 and recall watching on Thursdays before going out.  The show is as funny now as it was then and I appreciate it a lot more now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Was in the hospital unexpectedly from Oct to Jan.  Comedy Central had/has 4 hours of Seinfeld a day, in order.   Amazingly therapeutic.  IMO S1/S2 aren't on the same level as the rest but there wasn't a single episode where I thought it sucked.

Are you Shaquille O'Neal?  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

I am in awe of how well the series has held up.  I was at Texas 91-96 and recall watching on Thursdays before going out.  The show is as funny now as it was then and I appreciate it a lot more now.

My 17 yo daughter had watched the whole series a couple of times on Netflix. It holds up for sure.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hozz said:

It's funnier now that we have a more complete understanding of Larry David. Jerry was the star, but Larry was the engine that drove it and it shows everywhere.

(Glad you're better)

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On Saturday nights, if our 9yo has been good, we'll let her stay up and watch a Seinfeld or two on basic TV.  So a few weeks back, it was the one where they can't find each other in the movie theater.  And my youngest asks, "Why don't they just text each other to see they are?"  And I rolled my eyes like, "Dammit, don't be that guy.  It's funny because of the fact they couldn't find each other."  But I didn't say anything.  But then the next one was the Chinese Restaurant lobby and once she got "it", she got "it" and cracked up at the whole Cartwright 4 and stealing the food off the table and George being all paranoid.  Now a few times a week, she begs to stay up and watch one but we'll get there.  It's also cute watching her watch them and turn around on the rug and say to us, "Oh, that's why you guys always say that thing."  

As y'all say, comedically pivoting a mirror onto the minutia of life will always be funny despite technology or era.  What made Seinfeld even more genius was Larry's gift for denouement.  There are very, very funny comics-standups, writers, actors, hosts that can just throw out very funny jokes/dialogue/physical comedy rapid-fire style and land them all.  But wrapping it all up nicely with a hilarious bow at the end, that's genius that will be studied in Humanities classes for a century.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

image.png.ddd8b3ea006b90b27c8b4d250b87241c.png

Russell should have been in the finale. The gang ruined his life. Jerry and George ogle his teenage daughter, and then attempt to teach him a lesson on cleavage. He then becomes obsessed with Elaine which causes him to lose his job as a high powered network executive. We last see him in mortal danger on a Greenpeace dingy. Maybe he makes it off that boat alive, but he didn’t impress Elaine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, mr. sunshine said:

I know he's been married, had kids etc. but one thing I carry away from this series besides the hilarity is the character Jerry being a heavily closeted gay person. I mean refusing to participate in a menage a trois because you claim you don't have the "wardrobe" and turning down all manner of hot ass because she yada yada'd, ate her peas one at a time or was Tawny Kitaen. Hell I'm so hard up I'd even fuck man hands. NTTAWWT

The whole I don’t have the right wardrobe bit sounds like a conversation between LD and Jerry in my head. Making excuses for not doing it is a lot funnier than actually doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the things I like to do is look up old bloopers.  And honestly Julia's are the best.  When she laughs, really laughs she nearly collapses. Always ends up hanging on someone or propping herself up on some furniture.  Makes me love her even more.