Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

How is it that so many of our players are sustaining severe injuries - especially defense and especially the secondary? Herman needs to do a root cause analysis. Between Yancy and Orlando, the problem should not be this severe.

Out of rep.  Sure seems like a problem.  Bad tackling form leading to injury and ejection.

1 hour ago, ChemicalHorn said:

To be fair, never in a million years did I expect OUs d to make our o line their bitch and Epps is trash. D  doing as well as we could’ve expected. This game is on the o line.

blOU outplayed us in all three phases of the game today. Most stunning was that they ran for 8.1 yards per carry despite wholesale changes to their Oline from last year. Their DB group is also much, much improved since 2018, and Gallimore/Murray gave our O-line fits.

Grinch is looking like another terrific hire by them. I don't know what voodoo their AD pulls, but every fucking hire for them has been an unqualified success since they found Lincoln Riley at ECU. It's absurd.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

blOU outplayed us in all three phases of the game today. Most stunning was that they ran for 8.1 yards per carry despite wholesale changes to their Oline from last year. Their DB group is also much, much improved since 2018, and Gallimore/Murray gave our O-line fits.

Grinch is looking like another terrific hire by them. I don't know what voodoo their AD pulls, but every fucking hire for them has been an unqualified success since they found Lincoln Riley at ECU. It's absurd.

Perfect. Never change.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The most impressive thing about their program is how they reload on the oline and seem to never miss a beat. Bedenbaugh was also a fantastic hire. 

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That post was actually fair as painful as it is to admit.

Absurd as it may sound, I think you could make the argument our D outperformed theirs today give them the field position. And Dicker is (still) nails. Return game - kickoffs and punt - is a fucking joke. Is that still “Enola Gay” Warheim?

to bring it back to recruiting (and because I’m watching am-Bama),  sure would’ve been nice If we would’ve dropped a bag for Waddle or Wilson. Excited we’ve got Bijan in the pipeline.

1 minute ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Absurd as it may sound, I think you could make the argument our D outperformed theirs today give them the field position. And Dicker is (still) nails. Return game - kickoffs and punt - is a fucking joke. Is that still “Enola Gay” Warheim?

to bring it back to recruiting (and because I’m watching am-Bama),  sure would’ve been nice If we would’ve dropped a bag for Waddle or Wilson. Excited we’ve got Bijan in the pipeline.

We still haven't seen Whittington 

24 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

We still haven't seen Whittington 

This. I do worry what Herman will do with him (RB/WR), but he's still elite. Plus these guys are getting older and more acclimated to the speed of the game. Most of our elite kids are frosh/sophs, so the future still looks bright. 

Herman is doing his due diligence in recruiting, so we now need an offensive identity (a la Riley). 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

This game wont affect recruiting we've lost 2 games both to top 5 playoff teams. by a td each.  this game was won and lost purely on the staff. 

That’s the optimistic view. The outcome itself won’t affect recruiting, but the clear difference in schemes between the two D’s very well could. I have to think a guy or two noticed the difference in how each D-line was used.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Noah Cain is looking like a miss as well. Two straight 100 yd rushing games, 5 rushing TDs. CDC needs to force some changes on this staff. 

There is a reason Drayton cried on the phone when Bijan committed, most think it saved his job and likely did. Beck fits the profile of a RB coach, recruit our position and be a killer on the trail for other positions. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

If you read the football board, this was clearly the worst performance of Tom Herman's tenure at Texas (forgetting that we lost to FUCKING MARYLAND. TWICE!). On Monday it's expected that CDC will personally fire the OC, DC, WR, OL, LB, and Special Teams coach. Herman can stay, but he's basically Charlie Strong. Everyone knows that UT coaches should go undefeated. 

Anyway, as is always the case around here, posts after a loss are filled with hyperbole. Tom did get outcoached today. The D was simultaneously the reason we were in the game, but also very disappointing, especially in tackling. Part of that is that CeeDee Lamb is as good of a WR as anyone in the country. Motherfucker is shifty as fuck and seemed like he had Vaseline on his jersey. 

OL was surprisingly shitty. The huge number of sacks is partly attributed to some great blitz schemes by Grinch, part to our WRs seemingly not being able to get open, part to Sam playing as hesitant and unconfident as I've ever seen him play. But OL was routinely beaten. First half play calling and stubborn "can't abandon the run" when we kept running between the tackles for zero yards was fucking frustrating. The number of swing/WR screen passes was rage-inducing deja vu back to the Mack/Greg Davis blowouts. 

Yet, we were in the game until the end and beat the spread. I don't think the sky is falling. I do think we're still in the middle of the transition. I do think losing half our starters on D to injury had a huge impact. And I do think the UT fan base underestimated losing so many starters from last year's team. Definitely not time to panic, but this does re-calibrate expectations a bit. 

I said before the year I thought we would flip the series and lose today but win the conf championship game. We can still make that happen. 

When you’re still early in your rebuild, have lost most starters off a 2018 defense that was pretty regularly torched and then get hit hard by injury, you’re going to have issues stopping good offenses. Maybe fans thought our offense would be good enough to overcome that, but it clearly isn’t. While we’re adding talent, we still lack explosive guys. Not ideal in a fast-paced league. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You’re not really dumb enough to think that our athletic director is going to go into the head coach’s office and fucking demand that he make some changes because we lost by a touchdown to a team that will be ranked in the top 5 on Monday and people on the internet are mad, are you? For fuck’s sake. Get some goddamn perspective.

Consider yourself lucky this is the first time you've experienced his nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I will be honest. I laughed when he was going to Aggy, because I thought we could do better. But I don’t know anymore...OU seems to take guys like and make us pay 

Not entirely true. We beat them last year. It's not like we are dogs. They have a good team this year and we dont. We lost by 7 even after our offense shat the bed 

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Not entirely true. We beat them last year. It's not like we are dogs. They have a good team this year and we dont. We lost by 7 even after our offense shat the bed 

They own our ass like 14-7 over the last 20 years and have more playoff appearances and more fucking Heisman winners than we have conference titles.  

• Like 4

You’re not really dumb enough to think that our athletic director is going to go into the head coach’s office and fucking demand that he make some changes because we lost by a touchdown to a team that will be ranked in the top 5 on Monday and people on the internet are mad, are you? For fuck’s sake. Get some goddamn perspective.

I know. Ridiculous. He’ll have Herman come to his office.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1