Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Today was a very good day. The fact that we signed a top ten class with no OC and recently named DC is amazing.  Not to mention the disaster this season was.

Can you imagine the absolute shit show this would have been with Strong? He would have started recruiting on Monday.

Kudus to Herman. Give him some credit and two middle fingers.

Now, coach them with the right schemes....(Please God).

Happy Bijanukka.

Hook'em 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

TCU Co-OC Luper is expected to be named the OC for Mizzou and talk is WR Coach Malcolm Kelly could be going with him.  Life comes at you hard QJ.

If only there was a WR that signed with another team during the early process only for his OC to leave a few days after he started attending school only for him to portal a week later.

There is no defense for the consistently dip shittery we see from Herman from trying to fight the OSU sideline to head butting his players to now flipping off a live camera. In the absence of any kind of rational argument if favor of Herman’s constant fuck ups all one can do is resort to condescending remarks. 

I feel his dipshittery shows a lack of self control. I’ve worked for a lot of managers and played for a lot of coaches.

The worst were the ones who could not corral emotion.

THIS is why I don’t support the guy.

The State of Recruiting: Signing day special  (Dec 18th)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-state-of-recruiting-signing-day-special/id1279981104?i=1000459990818

This week, Mike and Bobby breakdown each signee in the Texas class and talk about where Texas can fill holes going forward.

Hosts: Bobby Burton and Mike Roach

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

This is not remotely close to Switzer/Paterno/Briles/Casey Horny (him being employed here is the actual problem I have with Herman). I think this is stupid, but not in a way that matters at all compared to anything on the field. If anything I blame LHN.

And we dumped both our coordinators and a clutch of major assistants after a really disappointing season and still have a top 10 class. The only really irreplaceable guy we lost was QJ - the only teenager on earth who valued a relationship with Drew Mehringer. Yeah, I don't think this was the recruiting holocaust, you're right.

when you put it that way, maybe we dodged a small, human sized bullet...

13 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I can't believe you think we are on this level of (digital) marketing. Seriously, if you post anything we've put out today that is on this level I'll admit that I'm wrong.

No amount of marketing is going to change the hundreds of years of perception of what Oklahoma is.  At least to the average adult.  The history books has cemented them as a bunch of dust bowl poors and land thieves.  That is why they have to do shit like this.  

I understand that these videos appeal to the young/naive, easily swayed and the poors.  Many of the recruits fall into one of those categories so for that reason we probably should "keep up" or even better lead the way.  I suppose we don't lead and do things like this first because they mindset is not that of an underdog and more of "We're Texas" mentality.  Meanwhile across the railroad tracks the cheaters having a mindset of we're oklahoma and therefore need to associate with a Lambo to show weez gots da money 2.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

In discussions about recruiting needs vs. roster requirements, I haven't seen a lot about the receiver group.  The situation there seems - to me - to be pretty dire.  ((Especially when you factor in their experience (or lack thereof)).  And one that needs to be prioritized way higher that it currently seems to be, based on Surl posts.

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

Our current 2020 receiver class consists of 

- Troy Omerire, an A&M flip (who's been panned by the Surl).

- and Dajon Harrison, a one-time TCU commit and late Texas commit.

Looking at our current roster, with

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Josh Moore possibly having to leave, 

- and Burt, CJ and Duvernay graduating, 

the entirety of our receiver corps - not counting RBs, TEs, etc. -  consists of

- player (career catches / career yards)

- Brennan Eagles (31 / 553)

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Malcolm Epps (21 / 250)

- Alvonte Woodard (2 / 21)

- Marcus Washington (3 / 33)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

So that's 83 catches / 1168 yards. Combined. For their careers.

- To put that in perspective, CeeDee Lamb had over 1,200 yards this year.  By himself. 

- And Lamb and Rambo had 90 catches combined this year.

For all the discussion about LBs, etc., shouldn't we be looking for at least 1, possibly 2 receivers on the Juco/transfer markets for immediate help?  (If we can find half way decent ones, obviously.)

(There was a question above about TEs;  for a league that uses receivers heavily, we have 4 returning TEs and 6 returning (pure) receivers.  Which isn't to say we have too many TEs, but that we have too few receivers.)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

This concern isn't unreasonable, but you're missing a few data points that might influence your perspective.

2020 depth

Outside Receivers: Eagles/Washington/Epps/Woodard/Lewis

Inside Receivers & Utility: Smith/Whittington/Harrison

Pass Catching Backs: Ingram/RoJo/Bijan

We would be smart to add one more for depth, but this is altogether pretty decent. It's college football so we've got some unknowns, but Eagles/Washington/Smith looked pretty good in spots last year, they just need to be coached. Epps especially. This doesn't even take into account Liebrock, who could very well get tossed in depending on offensive philosophy coming in. 

Unless Eagles has an incredible year and declares, we lose no one in 2021. Next year's recruiting class is CHOCK FULL of in-state receivers. As long as we don't see injuries in that room like RB in 2019, we'll be plenty deep and plenty talented. We just need a great WR class next year, and for what it's worth, that's what we've been told they were saving scholarships for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Where does Savion Williams project, given that he's the most commonly brought up likely WR offer?

https://247sports.com/player/savion-williams-46051526/

Who knows....most of his film is at QB so he's probably not a plus route runner. Hands are apparently questionable, so he's got size and shiftiness. He'll be outside, but x or z will depend on speed which doesn't look great on tape, and overall development. It looks like he'd be a project.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Lots of complaining but I am looking at the bright side. If you go by average points for the class per player, Texas is 5th behind Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and LSU. It could be much worse, just look at USC, coach is on hot seat and their class is ranked in the 80's.

I cant even imagine what this place would be like if we were in the 80's.

And asking for a friend who is the Avatar?

10 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

Today was a very good day. The fact that we signed a top ten class with no OC and recently named DC is amazing.  Not to mention the disaster this season was.

Can you imagine the absolute shit show this would have been with Strong? He would have started recruiting on Monday.

Kudus to Herman. Give him some credit and two middle fingers.

Now, coach them with the right schemes....(Please God).

Happy Bijanukka.

Hook'em 

Lol top 10 class? Under which publication?

1 minute ago, Richter said:

This seems to have come out of nowhere, right?

He was on our lists of unsigned LBs we might want to chase, but that's it. For all his issues, Herman runs a fucking tight ship on media leaks.

Looks like the Utah mod snuck a Texas flip CB in at 9:23 Eastern: https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jaylan-Ford-at-Lone-Star-210973/CurrentExpertPredictions/

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1