Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You seem even more cantankerous than usual. May be time for a cocktail, joint, blowjob, long walk, soak in a hot tub or whatever it is that helps you properly decompress. 

I’m calm as a bomb, baby. As always. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wasn’t he a grade risk?

No. He’s bright. He was just full of his own bullshit. 

Thinking for a minute about the talent on campus for 2020 as a result of recruiting over the last several years, I think it should be better top to bottom than any team since 2009. Charlie and Herman ran off several decent players in the last several years, and mixed in relatively weak first year classes. That stunted the talent.

However, now we finally have some talent and depth at many positions: OL, DL, QB, RB, CB, S. We are still weak at TE, LB and are thin at WR.

With a few grad transfers and recruits in Feb, the 2020 team could be pretty good, assuming these coaches can pull their heads out of their anuses.

Just now, jinx said:

Since TE is sooo important that we never take one off the field, are we thinking about maybe recruiting one of them at some point, or nah?

Nope. We took two last class and they seem to be on a one-a-year average cadence. Plus we have one/maybe two depending on how you see Juan Davis committed next year.

I’m just amazed there isn’t some lower ranked four star linebacker in whatever corner of the country that wouldnt want to play for us over a middle of the pack p5 school. I assumed when you needed someone this bad at a position you would just send and call anyone that is still left. What do I know. I got kicked out of mensa

Just now, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m just amazed there isn’t some lower ranked four star linebacker in whatever corner of the country that wouldnt want to play for us over a middle of the pack p5 school. I assumed when you needed someone this bad at a position you would just send and call anyone that is still left. What do I know. I got kicked out of mensa

Our linebackers coach has been hard at work building up relationships around the country for just this moment oh shit wait

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

TCU Co-OC Luper is expected to be named the OC for Mizzou and talk is WR Coach Malcolm Kelly could be going with him.  Life comes at you hard QJ.

Hell, given the realities of the transfer portal now, he could enter the transfer portal and come back if we ever decided to hire an offensive staff. 

In discussions about recruiting needs vs. roster requirements, I haven't seen a lot about the receiver group.  The situation there seems - to me - to be pretty dire.  ((Especially when you factor in their experience (or lack thereof)).  And one that needs to be prioritized way higher that it currently seems to be, based on Surl posts.

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

Our current 2020 receiver class consists of 

- Troy Omerire, an A&M flip (who's been panned by the Surl).

- and Dajon Harrison, a one-time TCU commit and late Texas commit.

Looking at our current roster, with

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Josh Moore possibly having to leave, 

- and Burt, CJ and Duvernay graduating, 

the entirety of our receiver corps - not counting RBs, TEs, etc. -  consists of

- player (career catches / career yards)

- Brennan Eagles (31 / 553)

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Malcolm Epps (21 / 250)

- Alvonte Woodard (2 / 21)

- Marcus Washington (3 / 33)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

So that's 83 catches / 1168 yards. Combined. For their careers.

- To put that in perspective, CeeDee Lamb had over 1,200 yards this year.  By himself. 

- And Lamb and Rambo had 90 catches combined this year.

For all the discussion about LBs, etc., shouldn't we be looking for at least 1, possibly 2 receivers on the Juco/transfer markets for immediate help?  (If we can find half way decent ones, obviously.)

(There was a question above about TEs;  for a league that uses receivers heavily, we have 4 returning TEs and 6 returning (pure) receivers.  Which isn't to say we have too many TEs, but that we have too few receivers.)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Hell, given the realities of the transfer portal now, he could enter the transfer portal and come back if we ever decided to hire an offensive staff. 

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

So transfer portal for QJ?

Image result for A Boy can Dream gif

**Quentin Johnston could theoretically transfer to Missourah to follow Luper and Kelly.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In discussions about recruiting needs vs. roster requirements, I haven't seen a lot about the receiver group.  The situation there seems - to me - to be pretty dire.  ((Especially when you factor in their experience (or lack thereof)).  And one that needs to be prioritized way higher that it currently seems to be, based on Surl posts.

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 

the entirety of our receiver corps - not counting RBs, TEs, etc. -  consists of (player (career catches / career yards))

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

- To put that in perspective, CeeDee Lamb had over 1,200 yards this year.  By himself. 

For all the discussion about LBs, etc., shouldn't we be looking for at least 1, possibly 2 receivers on the Juco/transfer markets for immediate help?  (If we can find half way decent ones, obviously.)

(There was a question above about TEs;  for a league that uses receivers heavily, we have 4 returning TEs and 6 returning (pure) receivers.  Which isn't to say we have too many TEs, but that we have too few receivers.)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

I'm going out on a limb here and say with good coaching Epps can be a pretty good receiver.  

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

Duvernay also had over 1200 yards this season and caught more than 90 himself. 

What were his career numbers prior to this season?  

Talented guys can get it done even if they haven’t before. 

that do anything for you?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

Career numbers are meaningless in the context of guys having played behind two NFL receivers in Duv and Collin Johnson. Eagles and Smith definitely showed promise this year. Woodard a little less so. Washington looked good in limited time. Epps still has potential. If he has a good off season he can be a player.

A few data points:
WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 
- Jake Smith (25 / 274)
- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)
Thoughts, Surl gurus?
We have a lot of athletes with potential to do big things at the wr position. Question is...can we find someone to coach them up?! Also, I'd like to see coach hand or new OL coach teach the lineman how to block twists and stunt's so Sam has time to find receivers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

All those you named are frosh and sophomores. They'll get better. I do agree we need more WR's, but before this season the LSU RB Edwards-Helaire had 658 yards, and then exploded this year. Kids get better is my point. The ball can only go to so many people. Terrace Marshall had 12 receptions and 0 TD's, and this year has 10 with 500 receiving yards. Give it time. 

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A few data points:

WIDE RECEIVERS

- Pouncey transfering, 

- Jake Smith (25 / 274)

- Kennedy Lewis (1 / 37)

Thoughts, Surl gurus?

Eagles and Smith are both studs and are ready to take all of Dev/Johnson’s starter snaps. 

Marcus Washington is going to be great. 

Of this years recruits Troy O is already an excellent route runner. 

Its also possible, if the coaches are worried about WR depth that Whittington will be moved outside to receiver  

We don’t need to get a grad transfer - we need a good WR coach who will continue to develop them and a good OC who will know how to utilize them.