Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah it sucks. Firing the DC/LB coach was obviously a necessary evil, but Orlando didn't even seem to be that likely to land a guy like Burns or Whitehead.

Hopefully we can pull an under-the-rader dude (sigh) and pull a Juwan Mitchell out of our hat (not that he's a world-beater).

That linebacker room is already so talent deficient. To follow it up with no linebackers in this class shows how clueless this staff is. And you're right, we were already headed this route before we fired Orlando. 

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

That linebacker room is already so talent deficient. To follow it up with no linebackers in this class shows how clueless this staff is. And you're right, we were already headed this route before we fired Orlando. 

Well they fired the side of the staff largely responsible for that problem, so you can ratchet your sadness down a couple notches.

• Like 2

Here's my thoughts on the home stretch, in order of importance:

3-5 DE (x2): Princely Umanmielen, Alfred Collins, or replacement.  Signing 2 is better than 1.

ILB (x2): Who knows?

WR3: Kelvontay Dixon

CB2: This is a want more than a need.  There's a few names.  It takes pressure off 2021 to get another one now.  In the era of 6 DBs being more common than 4 DBs, taking 4 every year is starting to become normal.

Edited by JBJ

15 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Even if Ash is a well below average recruiter he will still be better than Orlando who was an absolute zero

18 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I’m gonna take this post as a yes. 

Also, when did the NCAA abolish NSD2? I must’ve missed that. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Even if Ash is a well below average recruiter he will still be better than Orlando who was an absolute zero

This has been said before, but we signed 3 LBs both classes and landed 2 of the Top 3 in the state both times.  LB is thin because shark is the only upperclassmen on the roster (mostly due to not signing a LB in 2017).

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

ILB (x2): Who knows?

I saw they're working on an underrecruited RB for this, don't remember the name.

Also, and I recognize Ian Boyd thinks himself into a black hole sometimes, he makes the case for Ash to spin down BJ Foster 

Spoiler

BJ Foster at middle linebacker, Overshown at boundary safety
The middle linebacker in the Under gets put into space a ton at the college level and ruthlessly attacked with run/pass conflicts. Ideally you help him out at times with techniques like the 4i or a heavy 5-technique strongside end that plays the B-gap rather than setting the edge. At any rate, you want at least one of your ILBs to be capable of keeping up with a good flex TE or slot receiver underneath in coverage, playing sideline to sideline, and fitting inside runs from the hash mark. That's often the middle linebacker that has to do that in this scheme, so that's where you want your converted safety.

Why Foster rather than Overshown? For one, Foster has shown a lot more willingness to play in this sort of role than Overshown, for another he's actually probably better at it. Foster's specialty is generating insane explosiveness and power over a short area, Overshown's specialty is covering a ton of ground quickly and arriving with pop.

Foster can handle playing up in the box both in terms of dealing with the conflicts in space and also in blowing up blockers and generating the necessary power within a few steps. Overshown is exactly the kind of guy you want lining up back at safety like Chancellor or Edmunds only to appear in position to make plays like a linebacker unexpectedly and after the snap.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I saw they're working on an underrecruited RB for this, don't remember the name.

Also, and I recognize Ian Boyd thinks himself into a black hole sometimes, he makes the case for Ash to spin down BJ Foster 

Reveal hidden contents

The middle linebacker in the Under gets put into space a ton at the college level and ruthlessly attacked with run/pass conflicts. Ideally you help him out at times with techniques like the 4i or a heavy 5-technique strongside end that plays the B-gap rather than setting the edge. At any rate, you want at least one of your ILBs to be capable of keeping up with a good flex TE or slot receiver underneath in coverage, playing sideline to sideline, and fitting inside runs from the hash mark. That's often the middle linebacker that has to do that in this scheme, so that's where you want your converted safety.

Why Foster rather than Overshown? For one, Foster has shown a lot more willingness to play in this sort of role than Overshown, for another he's actually probably better at it. Foster's specialty is generating insane explosiveness and power over a short area, Overshown's specialty is covering a ton of ground quickly and arriving with pop.

Foster can handle playing up in the box both in terms of dealing with the conflicts in space and also in blowing up blockers and generating the necessary power within a few steps. Overshown is exactly the kind of guy you want lining up back at safety like Chancellor or Edmunds only to appear in position to make plays like a linebacker unexpectedly and after the snap.

I definitely think at least one of Foster or Overshown should spin down to LB this year, but that doesn’t have much impact on 2020. We took 0 in 2017, we took one in 2018 that is kind of a dud, and took 3 in 2019 with one already medically retired and the other two being relative unknowns at this point, plus added Mitchell. I’d say we need one HS, one JUCO, plus I’d like to see us work Hullaby at LB first. 

Yeah.  I saw that blurb.  It actually makes a bit of sense because what I've seen from Ash is that one of his ILBs will act as a Rover on either edge while one guards the inside gaps (sort of what Boyd is getting at I suppose).

My choice would be Ossai for that role, and Foster for Bandit.  But that also depends on what looks Ash wants. 

Foster's not as compelling a Leo in a 4-down Flex or 4-down Under.  But Foster at Bandit makes easy transitions to Dime-looks work.

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hide contents

He would be permanently injured in this role. Unless he gains 20 pounds

• Like 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If I see Ossai in coverage more than 10% of game snaps, I will burn Ash's house to the ground

Rover would be less in coverage than Bandit.

Ideally, you'd swap them on calls, but that's a non-starter in the HUNH era.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  I saw that blurb.  It actually makes a bit of sense because what I've seen from Ash is that one of his ILBs will act as a Rover on either edge while one guards the inside gaps (sort of what Boyd is getting at I suppose).

My choice would be Ossai for that role, and Foster for Bandit.  But that also depends on what looks Ash wants. 

Foster's not as compelling a Leo in a 4-down Flex or 4-down Under.  But Foster at Bandit makes easy transitions to Dime-looks work.

dya_3brianhitspeter.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Give me Ossai at WDE if he can handle another 10-20 pounds. Juwan would probably be good at that role though. 

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

07-minister.jpg

Geez give it a rest with the spin. The University of "Texas is back" shouldn't be relying on NSD2 leftovers to get their first linebacker when the LB room is already thin! I question whether some of you really want to build a championship team that competes w/ Clemson, LSU, Bama, OU if you think this is acceptable. Then again a lot of you were content with Orlando coaching out the season when I said cut bait more than a month ago.

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Geez give it a rest with the spin. The University of "Texas is back" shouldn't be relying on NSD2 leftovers to get their first linebacker when the LB room is already thin! I question whether some of you really want to build a championship team that competes w/ Clemson, LSU, Bama, OU if you think this is acceptable. Then again a lot of you were content with Orlando coaching out the season when I said cut bait more than a month ago.

The ol'Baghdad Burt, if you will. Awesome.

4 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Where did he say that this was a good thing? There were two solid LB classes (RIP DGF), then obviously this tire fire, in large part caused by a part of the staff that has since paid for their crimes against recruiting and football.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

But the videos look cool now. 

11 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You can’t be serious. You want Ossai as an off ball LB in a 4 man front scheme? C’mon man. He wasn’t good in that role this year. Just less worse than a lot of our other LBs.

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He would be permanently injured in this role. Unless he gains 20 pounds

he’s already bigger than both of TCU’s starting LBs in their 4-2-5 scheme. He’s plenty big enough to play that role, especially when you have guys like Coburn, Ojomo, and Sweat to keep him clean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t be serious. You want Ossai as an off ball LB in a 4 man front scheme? C’mon man. He wasn’t good in that role this year. Just less worse than a lot of our other LBs.

he’s already bigger than both of TCU’s starting LBs in their 4-2-5 scheme. He’s plenty big enough to play that role, especially when you have guys like Coburn, Ojomo, and Sweat to keep him clean.

Assuming Ash will teach him how to tackle.

Edited by Viper

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

What spin? I’ve already said LB is a huge need and this class isn’t what we wanted it to be. There’s a huge difference between saying Texas is back with this class (something no one but you has said btw) and being a miserable, whiny little bitch about a long-known issue on the day where amazing players like Bijan, JQJ, and Vernon Broughton are signing up to play for our program. 

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Coming all the way back around to Brennon Scott after all this time would be pretty funny.

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What spin? I’ve already said LB is a huge need and this class isn’t what we wanted it to be. There’s a huge difference between saying Texas is back with this class (something no one but you has said btw) and being a miserable, whiny little bitch about a long-known issue on the day where amazing players like Bijan, JQJ, and Vernon Broughton are signing up to play for our program. 

Dude, you are the one being a whiny little bitch. I made one singular post about the linebacker situation and you started bleeding all over the place. Fuck off.